Shuttlecock XVI - Cobbler's Revenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The crowd singing Black Hole Sun just before the show was amazing too.

That wasn't the Seattle show with the crowd singing pre-show; Cornell hadn't passed yet. Chicago, maybe?

I enjoyed the first handful of seasons of Archer and then all the charm wore off.

I was watching Chris Cornell music videos hours before I got on the plane to LA. I'd been in the country for about 12 hours (had never been overseas before, or even on a plane) and was sleep deprived, had done a lot of exploring earlier in the day but carried by adrenaline. A simultaneous balance of energy, exhaustion and emotions that I hadn't felt before.

Also, I don't get why so many people don't like Miss Sarajevo on this tour. Edge's guitar sounds amazing and the visuals ere really moving. It would be better if Bono sang the opera part of course.

Everything that is there absolutely rules, you're right. The guitar is such a welcome addition and it sounds brilliant, very, very 90s U2. The visuals are impeccable and very moving, and then the huge flag through the crowd is really something special. It's just crushing that Bono doesn't do the opera part, because I've seen him do it at all four previous shows (it's been played at all six shows I've seen actually), and it was a genuine highlight at every single one, it's such an amazing, powerful moment. One of the shows Bono even started crying halfway through it.

In fact, here's what I said when I was writing my review drunk after the show:

Miss Sarajevo
I fucking love this song, and I fucking LOVE how Edge is playing the guitar on it, not the piano like the last 12 years, combined with Larry & Adam it really makes it very 90s-sounding, which is fucking awesome. The film that accompanies it is fucking amazing and super powerful, and it makes so much sense why it’s in the setlist. But I think it’s really disappointing that Bono doesn’t sing the opera part. Maybe seven years on from the last performance he can’t do? That’s what Laz reckons, but I think it’s a huge shame that they just turn to look at the screen and have the pre-record. There’s also a stream of people leaving at this point (people were also leaving as soon as MOTD finished). But the reason I was always happy to hear Miss Sarajevo is because Bono singing it was so powerful, it really sucks that he doesn’t on this tour…… it has to stay in the set because the concept of it is really important and moving, but it’s the best part and if he doesn’t do it I’d rather many other songs.

I completely agree with you except for the last sentence. It's still a good addition to the setlist due to all the reasons you mentioned.

Not only did we get lucky w having ASOH and Bad later in the same set, but seeing RTSS dedicated to Chris Cornell brought out extra emotion from Bono that made this one of my all-time great concert moments.

There's not a single other show on this tour I would have rather been at.

NSW and I continue to discuss how lucky we were to be at LA1 and experience that setlist on that night.

And since I never posted a review, I'll share...a part of the show that was special for me was being seated next to a girl who had to be around 10 years old. She was super into it and would often copy me if I danced a certain way or lifted up my arms. During Ultraviolet, she was naming all the women she recognized from the screen. It was a treat to imagine the band and the show from her perspective. She was still going strong and went crazy during I Will Follow. So cute.

She wasn't there alone, right?

Either way, it sounds awfully cute and adorable. Three cheers for a 10 year old who wants to go to this show instead of a Taylor Swift show or whatever.

I too was at LA1 and feel like I hit the jackpot on that one. 360 as well. I+E...not so much; I got one of those "Hey guys, remember 2000! Those were good times!" gigs. Still good though, especially since I was in a spot Vik would punch a woman for.

Three cheers for a 10 year old who wants to go to this show instead of a Taylor Swift show or whatever.

I'm just quoting this remark so GAF doesn't miss it.

Last edited:
The only problem I had with Miss Sarajevo was its placement at the Chicago show. It came right after Elevation and totally killed the energy and the band wasn't able to recover.

Opening the encore does it no favours either. My problems are a). placement and b). Bono not only failing to do the operatic vocals, but shouting over it.

I also wish people would stop calling it Miss Syria. In that sense it's this tour's "Batman".

I think the only logical placement is at the beginning of the encore due to the intro video. Playing it after Elevation seems jarring indeed.

My opininion is still that the band should have opened the concert with Streets and played the Joshua Tree in full to start the show, and then cruch the last 10-12 songs with greatest hits. That way they would have had more flexibility with the encore and could have snuck "Bad" in there. Something like this:

TJT
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Pride
Miss Sarajevo
Bad
Ultraviolet
One
Vertigo
I Will Follow

Or something like that.

My wife and I came over from Arizona for Rose Bowl 1...there was no way I wasn't going to see it. My plane had no less than 10 people clearly doing the same, and I imagine quite a few other Arizonans drove and were on other flights. The beat down to get there is what it is...we did the Parsons Engineering park and shuttle...but, damn...the whole day, hanging out on the lawn, watching non-Arizonans dive for cover from the scorching 90-degree sun, talking to people, seeing some questionable U2 backpieces but loving the thought that went into them...it was amazing. The show, with the exception of my section checking out on ASOH, was amazing. Transformative. I nearly cried during RHMT, and maybe it is the imprint from the show, but I am absolutely obsessed with that version.

In my 40's, I go to a lot of concerts. A LOT, especially for a married guy with two kids. One of the things that has disappeared from the concert experience over the years is the wonder about the event, that feeling of the show being the biggest thing ever, and these mythical figures dropping into your town from Planet RockStar to Rock Out With You, YEAAAAHHHAAWWW. The punk club shows I loved were one thing, but the enormodome extravaganza was always special, and especially in the 80's in Phoenix, when we were still a town of 800,000 and known as the Crowd That Hit John Cougar With A Whiskey Bottle during the Who show. But we were also the home of Let's Spend the Night Together and Rattle & Hum (Color). Still, Phoenix shows were either rare or early in tours as most LA based tours started in Tucson then Phoenix (or just Phoenix) to get the kinks out before going to "important" places. We were underdogs, and a show was something to be celebrated, a ride out of this world.

Now, it is scan in, go to the seat, drink a beer, yell when necessary, get mad at the guy taking pictures/videos with his phone flash setting on FLASHLIGHT, and try to find moments that take you somewhere. I usually find them, but they are harder to grab.

Rose Bowl I was that. Maybe it was the setting, the isolation of the bowl, the whole road trip to see a band aspect. Maybe the difficulty in getting there added to the mystique. U2 always holds those moments for me, from my first show on Zoo TV to now. My wife saw both Joshua Tree shows in Tempe, so she was a good co-pilot. And, quite frankly, that show exceeded every expectation I could have. And it is funny, in retrospect, to see it was not just seemingly a special show, but was really a special show, with all the song variations included in one super-show. It felt like the old days to me. That was A Very Special Event.

Rose Bowl I was that. Maybe it was the setting, the isolation of the bowl, the whole road trip to see a band aspect. Maybe the difficulty in getting there added to the mystique. U2 always holds those moments for me, from my first show on Zoo TV to now. My wife saw both Joshua Tree shows in Tempe, so she was a good co-pilot. And, quite frankly, that show exceeded every expectation I could have. And it is funny, in retrospect, to see it was not just seemingly a special show, but was really a special show, with all the song variations included in one super-show. It felt like the old days to me. That was A Very Special Event.

:up:

Hadn't really thought of that, but yeah, the fucking difficulty in getting there did make it seem that much more special once they finally hit the stage.

Yep, the remoteness (on several levels) really added to it for me.

Back
Top Bottom