Shuttlecock XV: Seppos and the 42: Cobbler's Epic Fail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night was amazing. Great crowd and the band wasn't going through the motions. Getting out of the stadium was a clusterfuck, as always. I'll leave the blabbering for the Fan Experiences section.
There is a thread in WYKIW where some people are saying they saw the Vertigo or 360 tour 15+ times. No matter how much you love the band, how can that possibly be entertaining after the 4th or 5th time?
If they are able to do it, good for them. I'm perfectly fine with only seeing a tour in 1 city, but unless the stars align, I'm not following it around.

Last edited:
There is a thread in WYKIW where some people are saying they saw the Vertigo or 360 tour 15+ times. No matter how much you love the band, how can that possibly be entertaining after the 4th or 5th time?
I can only speak only myself, but seeing U2 gives me such a high that the feeling becomes addictive, so much so that I want to experience that feeling as many times as possible. It really is like a drug, that's the best way I can describe it.

I complain about the setlist as much as anyone on this site, but once I'm there I honestly don't care.

Totally with you on that BoMac. Should they bring this to Aus I'll be going to all Melb shows plus I'll look to do some Syd and Brisbane shows too.

Seeing Streets live I could do a trillion times and never get sick of.

I can only speak only myself, but seeing U2 gives me such a high that the feeling becomes addictive, so much so that I want to experience that feeling as many times as possible. It really is like a drug, that's the best way I can describe it.

I complain about the setlist as much as anyone on this site, but once I'm there I honestly don't care.

I guess my experience has been concerts have diminishing returns. The National might be my favorite band right now, but on the third show I saw of the last tour, it just wasn't carrying the same punch anymore.

Whereas I saw Sufjan three nights in a row last year, doing the Carrie & Lowell show, with a couple of changes each night, and could easily have seen the same show multiple times.

And with regards to The National, I'm on record as saying they are so good live I'd go to the same show with the same set multiple nights.

I guess my experience has been concerts have diminishing returns. The National might be my favorite band right now, but on the third show I saw of the last tour, it just wasn't carrying the same punch anymore.
I liken it to a movie or an album. How many times have you seen your favourite movie? Why would you see a movie or listen to an album multiple times? It's always the same movie or album, but perhaps you experience it differently each time depending on the circumstances. Or perhaps you just derive enjoyment from it.

Granted, I know that the costs associated with a concert are much, much higher than a movie, especially if travel is involved, but I think it's comparable.

I need to stop reading this thread, I am actually disappointed no Denver.

I'm with BoMac and cobbler on seeing the band multiple times on a tour. Even with the little variance U2 has with its setlists, their shows remain interesting (though this tour might be an exception) and are a joyful experience. Especially when you consider the whole day and not just the 2 hours that U2 is onstage. That part (the queuing, conversations with other fans) is as much fun as the concert itself.
I do like to space out the shows I see, just so any progression in the show will be more noticeable (and to give myself some time to breathe). And combine them with (short) holidays so it's not just get in, see the show and get out again.

So yeah, I'd like to see many U2 shows. Though for many other artists I'm perfectly fine seeing them just once on a tour.

I'm with BoMac and cobbler on seeing the band multiple times on a tour. Even with the little variance U2 has with its setlists, their shows remain interesting (though this tour might be an exception) and are a joyful experience. Especially when you consider the whole day and not just the 2 hours that U2 is onstage. That part (the queuing, conversations with other fans) is as much fun as the concert itself.
I do like to space out the shows I see, just so any progression in the show will be more noticeable (and to give myself some time to breathe). And combine them with (short) holidays so it's not just get in, see the show and get out again.

So yeah, I'd like to see many U2 shows. Though for many other artists I'm perfectly fine seeing them just once on a tour.

Even this tour - and this might just be by virtue of it being the first fucking time I'd seen them in seven years (and I had to travel overseas for it) - I just remembered all the great things. To me, everything seemed so welcome and that's what I've tried to focus on in remembering it. Things as small as their smiles when playing songs for the millionth time, Adam and Bono sharing the b-stage for One, Bono getting pumped at the reaction to RHMT, his adlibs about being thankful to the fans... it was really, really fucking nice to get away from here and just go to the gig and be reminded about all the things that made me fall in love with them in the first place.

And I would gladly pay to have that all over again.

If there was at least one more date on the West Coast, I'd definitely consider going. Having done the sums on hitting up either Indy, Kansas or St.Louis and finishing up in San Diego would just about blow my budget on travel expenses alone!

Then again knowing my luck they will announce Australia/NZ about 2 hours after dropping a bundle on travelling. . . :madwife:

Only seen U2 three times and I can't conceive of tiring of it. My first two shows I was smack bang right up the front amongst it all and they are two experiences that I'll cherish forever.

The third time I was sat up in the nosebleed section right up the back of a massive stadium. I couldn't justify forking out so much cash to be sat so far away every night.

If they were to do two shows in Melbourne next tour, I would certainly do night #1 front and centre in GA, and I'd also happily fork out a little extra for a "seated" side view of proceedings on night #2. I'd also probably make the trip to Radelaide (or even NZ) or somewhere for another show.

I have seen the band do multiple nights on almost every tour I've attended (Popmart and this year being the only exceptions seeing only one show), but I just see them on multiple shows locally. They have always had a tendency to switch things up in Boston a bit (got the only 360 show with Magnificent as the opener for example on night 2 in Foxboro), so it is usually worthwhile. Most shows on one tour I saw was 6 (out of the 7 they played) on the Vertigo tour, but they were spaced out, 2 in May, 2 in October and 2 in December, so easy enough not to get burned out and the set lists evolved a bit.

Don't think I could go and follow them and see every show on a tour (even if I had the money and free time), that would be overkill.

U2 and Pearl Jam are the only bands that I make an effort to see every local show they play . Have seen every Boston area Pearl Jam show since 1994 (plus 4 in Hartford) and that is a band that I could see maybe following on tour if I had the means, set list variance is dramatic every night.

I didn't buy them - a friend did. That's weird. I can still pull up GAs now.

Oh well, I'm in the building. I'm good.

Will still be a good time, plus you don't have to worry about lining up and all the other down side of GA.
I'm doing seats this time out as I'm taking my (vertically challenged) wife and 13 yr old son, and am fine with not dealing with GA this time (though I did intend to do GA if they had added the 2nd rumored Foxboro show).

Enjoy.

If I go to the U2 Philly show, this will only be the second time I've ever seen a band twice on the same tour (I saw Bruce Springsteen twice on the Magic tour). Both times, however, they were on different legs. The Springsteen shows were almost a year apart. I'm expecting the setlist for this tour to be a bit different in September than it is right now.

If the show is the anchor to travelling to a place and checking the town out, being a tourist, then going to a show, then, yeah...give me 15 in a row.

If it was all I did, like a nightly tour, where the band is playing 5 of 7 nights or so, then I would burn out with any show within 4 or 5 shows.

I wonder if certain posters in EYKIW have an app setting called "alert me immediately whenever anything remotely negative is said about U2 so I can swoop in with a mix of ridiculous indignation and stale memes." I must have missed that update.

Seriously. Go read a fucking book or take a walk, instead of taking time to call him Nipples again.

I've had my own asshole moments over the years, but ugh.

"Hot take"
"Nipples"
Give it another 15 minutes and I'm sure "on board" will make an appearance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom