Shuttlecock V: Sleep Like Leo Tonight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that unpossible?

ralph.gif

Someone in the other part of the forum mentioned discussion/rumors that shows would be available for download. It was being discussed apparently both on Backstreets (the Springsteen forum) and the @U2 forum.

The band, well Bono anyway, made a bunch of noise about doing this for the last tour. With their love of money seemingly taking over every decision, I can't see how they'd ever do this.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yeah, I thought that was obvious.

But then consider that the band hasn't released an official live album since 1983, so it would be odd for them to suddenly do away with quality control and let every show be sold, warts and all.

I laughed at one of the pictures - "oh look, it's a ... what are we looking at? Confirming the arena has a floor?"

Oh maaaan is there going to be epic bitching if the Red Zone is as big as it looks in those pictures and on both sides of the stage.

Watch it be acoustic Song For Someone.

Shit laz, you've nailed it! :happy:

I will start a campaign for them to open with A Sort of Homecoming.

Sign me up.

Someone in the other part of the forum mentioned discussion/rumors that shows would be available for download. It was being discussed apparently both on Backstreets (the Springsteen forum) and the @U2 forum.

Wait, so this wasn't just some bullshit joke rumour?

The band, well Bono anyway, made a bunch of noise about doing this for the last tour. With their love of money seemingly taking over every decision, I can't see how they'd ever do this.

I recall them blabbing about making every show available as far back as 2004, even. But this is the band that is so perfectionist that, when it does record a live DVD, it plays two identical shows, while many other bands play as different a setlist as possible to get maximum song options. I can't see them being willing to all of a sudden let every show be available officially. They'd need to record in some overdubs, cut the best song, remove the opener as well for no reason, include a few videos up Bono's nose...

Good God. It had been a while since I was last there, but the stage thread in The Other Place is a disaster. Cori, I applaud your good intentions, but that's a dangerous place...

Oh maaaan is there going to be epic bitching if the Red Zone is as big as it looks in those pictures and on both sides of the stage.

So if RZ runs right along both sides of the catwalk .... Considering there's a stage at one end of the catwalk, and a stage at the other, it's like people are assuming the band is only going to be playing on the catwalk for the whole time. There's still "front row" against either stage. Sheesh.

Wait, so this wasn't just some bullshit joke rumour?

Could be, no idea. I was just repeating what someone said over yonder.

Cori, I applaud your good intentions, but that's a dangerous place...

Pssssh, I'm over there all the time. I can handle those goofballs. :wink:

Although when I left work I realized I was getting waaaay too invested, which means I have to not do that anymore. Better to post gifs than try and talk sense into anyone.

I've been asked to not say too much, but I can say that

at this stage, neither Cedarwood Road nor The Miracle are the opener. Things could change. But at present, nope, neither.

Some people - both in this thread and on the tour forum - have made very good guesses as to the opener. Some have made very bad guesses.

What the fuck? You have some sort of insider access now?

Sonically and thematically it works, and I'd be overjoyed. But as I said before, you really think they'd open with a non-album track? Especially one that didn't make much of a dent as a single?

Consider that Reach Around comes from a similar place lyrically--the sound of The Clash galvanizing them to action, despite his father's pessimism.

Well I don't think any of the album tracks really made a dent either. Doubt Joe Citizen is going to know The Miracle or EBW any better than Invisible.

:drool:

I woke up this morning all "That's it, time to listen to U2." It feels like it's been ages since I've spent any time listening to U2 beyond a song here or there.

Hello, boys. You're lovely and I've missed you.

sallyhearts.gif

Yes I listened to a bit of Pop yesterday. Always nice when you come back around.

Well I don't think any of the album tracks really made a dent either. Doubt Joe Citizen is going to know The Miracle or EBW any better than Invisible.

"Joe Citizen" won't be going to the concert. As for all the people who actually bought tickets, you're insane if you don't think most of them aren't familiar with those SOI tracks, considering the free download.

Now granted, had Bono not been injured and the band been able to properly promote the album on television, there'd be greater saturation. But let's not act like this is when people go see the Stones and have no clue/don't give a shit about their most recent recording.

Listening to SOI for the first time in ages.

I never thought it was bad or was bored with it, but damn, I'd forgotten how good most of it is.

"Joe Citizen" won't be going to the concert. As for all the people who actually bought tickets, you're insane if you don't think most of them aren't familiar with those SOI tracks, considering the free download.

Now granted, had Bono not been injured and the band been able to properly promote the album on television, there'd be greater saturation. But let's not act like this is when people go see the Stones and have no clue/don't give a shit about their most recent recording.

And I think you're insane if you think casual U2 fans who bought tickets are itching to see SoI tracks brought to life. They probably listened to the album a couple of times and then never went back to it. Fuck, that's what I did and I post here.

This isn't a Stones scenario, no, but I think the truth is probably somewhere in between.

I'm not even sure what a casual U2 fan is at this point. Someone who bought the Best Ofs 1980-2000? Fair enough if so, but that material wouldn't be enough to get me to a concert, with all the hassle that getting to concerts entails.

And I think you're insane if you think casual U2 fans who bought tickets are itching to see SoI tracks brought to life. They probably listened to the album a couple of times and then never went back to it. Fuck, that's what I did and I post here.

This isn't a Stones scenario, no, but I think the truth is probably somewhere in between.

Your statement was that they wouldn't recognize The Miracle or EBW any more than Invisible, not about what drove them to see the show.

So whether they kept the album in heavy rotation or not, your claim is still bullshit. The Miracle was the lead single and got a lot of press, plus it was in a widely-used Apple iPhone commercial. And as I said, while Bono's injury derailed the normal promo schedule, we all know EBW got a good amount of radio airplay.

Why? Because you didn't like it? That is insane...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Your statement was that they wouldn't recognize The Miracle or EBW any more than Invisible, not about what drove them to see the show.

So whether they kept the album in heavy rotation or not, your claim is still bullshit. The Miracle was the lead single and got a lot of press, plus it was in a widely-used Apple iPhone commercial. And as I said, while Bono's injury derailed the normal promo schedule, we all know EBW got a good amount of radio airplay.

I still stand by what I said, though. I reckon if they went with Miracle over Invisible thinking that the public are more likely to recognise it they're probably overestimating how the album went down. And it's that far removed from the release of the album now people I think will have forgotten those songs, they didn't have the staying power of a Beautiful Day or a Vertigo. So I really don't think it matters what song they open with. Giving it thought on a level of "Invisible was a non-album track" is going too deep.

Why? Because you didn't like it? That is insane...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That, combined with the fact that I don't hear U2 being talked about, I don't hear the songs on radio or see clips on TV. This is harsh but honestly I think Vertigo was the last time that U2 had some relevance and positivity in the wider pop culture sphere. NLOTH didn't capture people and neither did this album.

Anyway these are just my thoughts. I don't really care. I'll have forgotten about it in five minutes. No more groundbreaking rehearsal news? Cool to see EBTTRT is still in the equation. I also like Miracle Drug but if they're gonna dig into an album from the past I'd rather pretty much every album preceding Hutdab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom