should u2 quit on top?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stray dog

Refugee
Should the band quit while on top or should they keep going like Bob Dylan?

he should run like hell
06.gif

Last edited:
I think they should continue as long as they produce good work and enjoy doing so. I personally don't care how they are recieved commercially as long as those two conditions are met.

Oh, so I guess that was the only reason there was to ever like them...

Silly me. All along I thought it was music first... :| :eyebrow:

indra said:
I think they should continue as long as they produce good work and enjoy doing so. I personally don't care how they are recieved commercially as long as those two conditions are met.
:applaud: Indra, you've got it absolutely spot on, as our Brit friends would say! :wink: I was with these guys before they were commercially successful & so long as they keep generating great tunes (which will happen as long as they're happy), I'm going to keep buying their albums. If I never heard U2 on the radio again, it wouldn't bother me. I've got a CD player in every space that I occupy for any length of time in a given day -- I don't need air play for my U2 fix. :up:

And as far as their effect on MY eyes?.... :drool: :combust: :love: Good music that MEANS something plus eye candy?? Bonus!! :laugh:

Windmilllane said:
They are not easy on the eyes anymore.

So yes, they should quit after this tour.

:eyebrow: :shrug:
Why does it matter? I think they still look pretty good. Did you become a fan because of how they look?

U2 have a strong fanbase that I think will probably keep them near the top or at the top for as long as they want to continue making music.

I was thinking about that earlier as I watched the new dvd (again) and so I switched to my copy of the Rattle and Hum concert in Arizona. I have to say, their older music just really does it for me more than their newer music. I'd say Achtung Baby and before is (and will always be) their best work. But that's just personal preference. I surely wouldn't want them to stop anytime soon because they are always full of surprises. There is a sort of youthfullness in their earlier stuff that seems to really come out for me. As for being easy on the eyes, I can't imagine not drooling at any time when they come across my line of sight! Definately some of the hottest 40ish men out there! Like someone said, who cares about commercial value, as long as it feels good to them, I'm happy.

riverfari

me first post..just had to get a response...i hope they go til me in me grave

I really dont see them ever losing their place on top. I see them making relevant music and touring into their late 50's. Naturally as the years pass I think they will stop playing over a 100 shows a tour. They will slow down but never fade away.

Well, unless the band actually goes on and does an album or two that they think is crap, there's no way to know when is the good way to quit while on top. Otherwise, at any point in the last 10 years it would have been a good time to quit, but that way we wouldn't have had all the good stuff they've done.

Thing is, although people always talk in admiring terms about the bands who quit while on top, I can't think of many bands who actually quit for that exact reason. Mostly they break up because of squabbling, ego clashes, band members dying or getting bored and restless, etc.

The band almost called it quits after Pop. Bono said that when they went in to record ATYCLB, they were determined to learn from their mistakes in making Pop, but that if the next album were no better, they would break up. That's history, but I suppose history could repeat itself. As Saracene said, it's hard to know when to quit until you do a few crap albums.

On the other hand, Adam has said he sees it as totally appropriate that as the band members age, and their core audience dwindles, they continue to record and play smaller gigs. He said it would be very much like what Dylan is doing; the point is to keep the songs alive by continuing to perform them.

Personally, I might have a hard time accepting the group as anything less than the world's biggest and greatest rock band, simply because the way they put themselves forth is so much larger than life. But if the quality of their work holds up, I think they should keep making it.

Back
Top Bottom