Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lack a parochial knowledge of? Lmao you’ve got to be kidding me. “That’s the way it is just because it’s the way it is” mentality is rife in commonwealth countries. it’s increasingly apparent that not a single one of you will read what was put forward. I suppose the good lord came down and made it so, Melb’n it is and you should never wonder why it is that it is. And seppos be damned for suggesting otherwise.

I don't think Cobbler is the perennial jerk you're making him out to be, but the reaction here from the "locals" really comes off like putting their heads in the sand, as if the entire study of linguistics is fake news.

Not sure why people have to be defensive, it's not like we're calling all of you under-educated.

listen here buckos, i'll have you know that i conveniently worked for many years at the prestigious Military Center for Studying Pronunciations and Accents and Shit (MCSPAS) - for proof, i can list off several famous landmarks and random businesses from whichever city it's in - and have been learning about this stuff all my life. that's why i don't need sources, i just know that you're WRONG. all of you, period and end of story. the reason you're all wrong is that you simply don't understand, and also i said "period and end of story" after telling you you're wrong, so that makes it an unchallengeable scientific fact for which i need no sources or backup, because i just know this stuff, and you simply don't understand, period and end of story.

now, since i desperately need someone, anyone, to validate my lies totally real expert authority, please all of you go ahead now and admit that you're WRONG so that i can carry on with my daily routine of being fake-outraged at whatever fox news tells me today is obama's fault. thank you.

Last edited:
Look - this argument is getting very silly.

Does the rhotic English classification exist because of general pronunciation principles exist? Sure - whatever. I quoted it below so others can see. But there are hundreds of exceptions, so digging your heals in on this is just silly. I gave you plenty, but you ignored them, or posted a link that doesn’t make me want to change the way I say certain words. Ask an Australian to pronounce “bon”, then ask them to pronounce “born”. Or any of the other examples I gave.

The point here is that the city in Australia has a name that has a specific pronunciation. It is nothing to do with accents. If you call it “Mel-borrrrn” you are simply wrong. If I pronounced some American places the way they should be I’d sound pretty stupid. Now, back to Arkansas.

However, the historical /r/ is not pronounced except before vowels in "non-rhotic varieties", which include most of the dialects of modern England, Wales, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and some parts of the southern and eastern—particularly coastal northeastern[4]—United States.[1]

Last edited:
Lack a parochial knowledge of? Lmao you’ve got to be kidding me. “That’s the way it is just because it’s the way it is” mentality is rife in commonwealth countries. it’s increasingly apparent that not a single one of you will read what was put forward. I suppose the good lord came down and made it so, Melb’n it is and you should never wonder why it is that it is. And seppos be damned for suggesting otherwise.

I’ve read everything you’ve had to say in this thread on the pronunciation of Melbourne several times to ensure I responded appropriately.

I don’t feel the need to project upon you my education level or grasp of linguistics. What is clear is that you have a critical lack of comprehension about what is being argued. dan_smee has highlighted this and it is obvious you will continue to piously argue on in spite of this.

And before you have a whinge about how poorly or ignorantly everyone else has treated your mighty intellect regarding this topic — I’m not addressing them. I’m addressing you. Reassess how much negative energy you are investing in an Internet argument you might, *might* not be correct about.

Look - this argument is getting very silly.

Does the rhotic English classification exist because of general pronunciation principles exist? Sure - whatever. I quoted it below so others can see. But there are hundreds of exceptions, so digging your heals in on this is just silly. I gave you plenty, but you ignored them, or posted a link that doesn’t make me want to change the way I say certain words. Ask an Australian to pronounce “bon”, then ask them to pronounce “born”. Or any of the other examples I gave.

You didn’t “give me plenty of exceptions.” You actually told me that Americans (excuse me, seppos) say “Mel-born” when I insisted the difference in our pronunciation was us saying “Mel-burn” versus you saying “Mel-bun.” You don’t like being told about your own language yet you’re doing shit like that, especially considering Melbourne, FL, is a city over from where I originate.

Your examples aren’t examples though. All of those words (born, torn, yada yada) are instances where rhoticity plays in. Brits, Aussies, etc. are absolutely going to say “boe-hn” and “toe-hn.” I digress though, yes you’re fair in your point that there are exceptions. This isn’t one of them.

The point here is that the city in Australia has a name that has a specific pronunciation. It is nothing to do with accents. If you call it “Mel-borrrrn” you are simply wrong. If I pronounced some American places the way they should be I’d sound pretty stupid. Now, back to Arkansas.

Oh and I wonder how it got that specific pronunciation? Because your point about Arkansas is one that actually has a reason that has nothing to do with accents or pronunciation. That’s a historical fact. Look up that history.

You want an example? New Orelans. Nawwlans to the locals. New Orlins to the rest of us. New Or-leans to the unaware tongue. Orleans in France is pronounced differently. Nawwlans is pronounced locally the way it is because that’s the Cajun accent. Nobody would call you stupid for saying New Or-leans. Or better yet, nobody would tell you off for saying “New Oh-leans.” Which is what a freaking Australian would say.

Ironic that the word “rhotic” breaks the rule it’s describing too...

No... it doesn’t. And it’s not a rule.

And before you have a whinge about how poorly or ignorantly everyone else has treated your mighty intellect regarding this topic —

Yeah that’s it. I’m intellectually insecure. Nailed it. Not like I was annoyed at being given one-off mockery responses from a usual suspect and others. No sir.

Comrades, comrades, please--what if they pull out "Heartland" in say, Sydney 2? *This* is what we should be concerned about, in good faith!

Comrades, comrades, please--what if they pull out "Heartland" in say, Sydney 2? *This* is what we should be concerned about, in good faith!

That’d be great of course. But the problem with the JT setlist is that tracks 5-11 take up all of the possible spots for deep cuts. It’s gotta be loaded with hits otherwise!

That’d be great of course. But the problem with the JT setlist is that tracks 5-11 take up all of the possible spots for deep cuts. It’s gotta be loaded with hits otherwise!

To be sure. But if there were ever a tour this century where they'd even touch Rattle and Hum gems, it'd be this. And of course, I'm mostly deferring to the antipodeans who have opined upon this. I wasn't aware that R&H was such a [particuarly] Down Under-centric totem until this thread, so I'm grateful for the knowledge. And it would, of course, be more or less a 30th anniversary of Lovetown.

They likely will never have the "malls" [Philly English?] to open with "Hawkmoon" or anything but...you know, at this point I keep telling non-freakish friends that I consider their continual activity (and especially touring) that it's a 'grand human experiment' that I get a lot out of witnessing, (many) flaws and all.

Last edited:
Melbourne has some seats available again... And strangely GA too. Doesn't look good for a second show.

Funny how U2.com still lists it as sold out.

Last edited:
I will briefly interrupt whatever the hell is going on here to inform you all that u2songs believe there will not be a 2nd Melbourne show. These guys were pretty much spot on about everything else, so I’d take it seriously.

Seems strange because the Mel-Bn show seems to have sold very well.

Wonder if the schedule allowed for 2 shows in either Sydney or Melbourne but not both? And then Sydney got the go-ahead due its first show being a faster sell out.

I can’t imagine they’d pre-emptively leave money on the table if there was a possibility both markets could potentially have demand for two shows.

Maybe the demand just wasn't there. The ticketing companies would have good data to be able to predict how well a second show would sell based on the sales of the first show and maybe Melbourne didn't meet the criteria. My guess is that Sydney only just met it.

Per the chat a few pages back, their popularity really has declined in this country. Now we have the proof.

This should have been an arena tour.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom