Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, I'll check them out. I'm not familiar with Thai music at all, really, but this song was at the end of the film Uncle Boonme Who Can Recall His Past Lives and I love it. A happier version of Radiohead circa The Bends:

Weirdly I wasn't even really looking at Thai music when I stumbled across them, I was mostly checking out bands from Taiwan like Elephant Gym, and the one Mayday song I loved. There's a couple of other Thai bands like Bodyslam and MUSKETEERS too, the latter has a couple of songs I like, one in particular called 'Tale' I think. So as not to derail this thread too much, I put a few videos from Slot Machine's album up in a post in the Random Music thread in the Just the Bang and the Clatter section of the forum.

Last edited:
At these prices, I will be _really_ surprised if any Australian city gets a second show.

Just can't see the demand holding up once the initial burst of sales dies down.

There is space in the schedule for second shows in Auckland, Melbourne, and Sydney, and maybe Perth depending on what happens with Singapore. But yeah these prices are pretty steep, GA aside (which is still pricey, but I pay the point that a $30 rise in nine years isn't too shabby).

Also, I'm wondering if the reason for the "delay" with the announcement was simply something to do with concluding the Singapore arrangement, and they've decided rather than sit on their hands it's easier to just include it as a TBD and sell tickets for the rest.

U2's prices versus Metallica's at the same venue (Marvel) a few weeks earlier:
GA: $130 / Rear GA $185 & Front GA $255
Cheap seats: $60 / N/A
Expensive seats: $190 & $265 / $185 & $255
More expensive seats: $365 / N/A

The location of the Metallica seats vary depending on whether it's the Tuesday or Thursday show (Thursday seems to have level 3 blocked off, wonder if U2 would do the same if they think they can't get the same crowd as the first show).

Also, I'm wondering if the reason for the "delay" with the announcement was simply something to do with concluding the Singapore arrangement, and they've decided rather than sit on their hands it's easier to just include it as a TBD and sell tickets for the rest.
Probably, and because it's Singapore I wouldn't be stunned if there's a visa issue they're trying to negotiate.

U2's prices versus Metallica's at the same venue (Marvel) a few weeks earlier:
GA: $130 / Rear GA $185 & Front GA $255
Cheap seats: $60 / N/A
Expensive seats: $190 & $265 / $185 & $255
More expensive seats: $365 / N/A

The location of the Metallica seats vary depending on whether it's the Tuesday or Thursday show (Thursday seems to have level 3 blocked off, wonder if U2 would do the same if they think they can't get the same crowd as the first show).

Okay so Metallica are charging WAY more??

That makes me feel a lot better.

One GA category, reasonably priced (imo), none of that Verified Fan bullshit. Could be a lot worse.

My feeling is that they're waiting to see if they can add shows in Perth and Tokyo before determining where to put Singapore.

IF Perth needs a 2nd show, they can add it on 11/28. If Tokyo needs a 3rd show, they could put it on 12/2. Then at which point, they could add Singapore to the end of the tour, after Seoul.

If Perth only gets 1 show, and Tokyo's demand is met with the 2 shows, then they can stick Singapore in between on 11/30 or 12/1.

I think these tickets are probably going to sell pretty well. 9 year absence + Joshua Tree sell tickets + a popular opening act = good sales. Innocence/Experience wouldn't have filled stadiums the way JT17 did in cities like Louisville, Kansas City, Buffalo, etc. It's the most surefire way U2 could go down under, pull in big crowds, and charge insanely high prices.

As for Singapore, Seoul and really even Tokyo, it's hard to tell what the sales will be like.

I'd forgotten / not realised that Perth outsold every other city on the Oceania leg for 360 (every city had two shows). Much bigger stadium this time around though. I'm leaning towards going there, but not if there's only one show.

Last edited:
My feeling is that they're waiting to see if they can add shows in Perth and Tokyo before determining where to put Singapore.

IF Perth needs a 2nd show, they can add it on 11/28. If Tokyo needs a 3rd show, they could put it on 12/2. Then at which point, they could add Singapore to the end of the tour, after Seoul.

If Perth only gets 1 show, and Tokyo's demand is met with the 2 shows, then they can stick Singapore in between on 11/30 or 12/1.

I don't think a third Tokyo show is really in the picture. If it was, they would have scheduled the first two shows on 1 and 2 December, with the obvious gap for 5 December to be added. Sure, it's been 13 years, but U2 could only do three shows on the Vertigo Tour, when their star was brighter. Think of places where U2 have been forced to add a show before the previously announced gig(s) - places like Mexico City in 2011, where demand for the band is massive, on a scale well beyond their popularity in Japan.

I'd forgotten / not realised that Perth outsold every other city on the Oceania leg for 360 (every city had two shows). Much bigger stadium this time around though. I'm leaning towards going there, but not if there's only one show.

Yeah, I wonder if it will be just one this time. Remember that one reason the demand was so massive in Perth in 2010 is because it was skipped on Vertigo - there was untapped demand in WA well beyond that elsewhere in Australia.

Yeah, I wonder if it will be just one this time. Remember that one reason the demand was so massive in Perth in 2010 is because it was skipped on Vertigo - there was untapped demand in WA well beyond that elsewhere in Australia.

And as you alluded to earlier, there’s a big difference between demand building for a decade in which you have a few big hits, and demand building for a decade in which you have SOI/SOE. Say what you like about the albums, but no one’s heard them, which impacts their live demand even for a show like TJT30.

I think they had trouble selling tickets in Hawaii for Vertigo, which was during the peak of their ticket selling power. They had to bring in Pearl Jam as an opener to sweeten the deal, and there were still empty seats in the upper rear by showtime.

For that reason, I’m afraid Hawaii was a one and done.

Singapore is still being negotiated. Specifically, Bono had to submit his set of political do-gooder speaches to the People's Action Party for pre-approval before the venue can be confirmed. Apparently BG Lee does not like the bits about all the political prisoners from dad's (Lee Kuan Yew's) days as PM still being locked up in Changi prison... to this day... for having the audacity to run againt daddy dearest 30+ years ago.

Touchy subject, apparently.

In other news, if confirmed, the predicted crowd for this show will be 99.999% expats, mostly Brits and other Commonwealthers with a sprinkling of Yanks who now inhabit a great bit of Singapore.

No born locals have ever heard of the band, apparently.

I think they had trouble selling tickets in Hawaii for Vertigo, which was during the peak of their ticket selling power. They had to bring in Pearl Jam as an opener to sweeten the deal, and there were still empty seats in the upper rear by showtime.

For that reason, I’m afraid Hawaii was a one and done.

That show in 2006 is the highest attended concert in the history of Hawaii. 45,815 tickets sold. Previous single show record was Janet Jackson with 98 degrees opening in 1999 with 38,224 in attendance.

The show was originally scheduled for early 2006 and Pearl Jam was not the opener. The stadium was set up in baseball configuration at that time with a max capacity of 35,000 which U2 were close to selling out. Then the tour was postponed until much later in the year. In December the stadium was in the football configuration allowing more tickets to be sold. That's when Pearl Jam was brought in to help out. There you go, the most packed, in demand concert, in the history of the state.

Would anyone happen to have a spare presale code that they aren’t using please? I have joined u2.com but I need to buy 5 tickets. Thanks in Advance.

Andrew

Singapore is still being negotiated. Specifically, Bono had to submit his set of political do-gooder speaches to the People's Action Party for pre-approval before the venue can be confirmed. Apparently BG Lee does not like the bits about all the political prisoners from dad's (Lee Kuan Yew's) days as PM still being locked up in Changi prison... to this day... for having the audacity to run againt daddy dearest 30+ years ago.

Touchy subject, apparently.

If that is really what is happening then it's a smart move by the band to announce the show from now. Puts more pressure on the government as they wouldn't want to deal with the PR of a cancellation.

Quick question about presale in Auckland....I am panicking as usual!!
U2.com has yet to send out an email with the presale link.
Will I just need to go to the ticketmaster site and the window for the presale will open at 8am.
Then all I need to do is enter my presale code to order the tickets?
Any advise would be appreciated.

I was able to pull up GAs no problem just now (didn't buy them, can't go until night #2)

Is there no JT 2019 subforum on this site?
Seems odd...

I was able to pull up GAs no problem just now (didn't buy them, can't go until night #2)

Is there no JT 2019 subforum on this site?
Seems odd...
I think the 2017 one should be used (same tour), but maybe there's no need to use one since forum activity is not what it used to be. :shrug:

What happened in 06?

I'm waiting for the LN presale. Fuck u2.com.

It wasn’t the shit show that was the US first leg sales, but it was pretty stressful. I’m still to this day not sure why but Mum & I queued overnight at the local Ticketmaster (RIP outlet) rather than online....we also had to buy like 3 transactions totalling about 10 tickets

I couldn’t get a GA for the first show, so took seats and GA for the second gig in Melb and ended up spending a bucketload on on eBay. (Ahh I miss paper tickets!)

Granted it was a presale but I can away with 3 GA’s for Melb about half an hour after they went on sale and then Sydney was a breeze.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom