Setlists for a hypothetical late 2019 tour of Australia, NZ, Asia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
carmela-soprano.gif

Mate I have been to 19 U2 concerts and I was front row at every goddamn Crowded House gig at the Sydney Opera House. Absolute dearth of cool. You're talking to the wrong guy if you want somebody pretending to be cool about music taste.

Doesn't change that Jimmy fucking blows and that he is about as mellifluous as a gravel truck rolling off a cliff.

The “Jimmy Barnes screams” thing is very tired and lazy criticism. The guy has a four octave range, and hits every note in that scream. Also sings on a large number of the most iconic Australian songs ever and has an incredible social conscience.

The only reason I even know of Barnes is because he did that "Good Times" collaboration with INXS back in the late 1980s.

The guy just seems like some bogan version of Bob Seger tbh:

The only reason I even know of Barnes is because he did that "Good Times" collaboration with INXS back in the late 1980s.

The guy just seems like some bogan version of Bob Seger tbh:

He is very niche Australian.

Cold Chisel started touring the US when U2 did in 81. They had similar exposure and played to similar venues.

They were so disillusioned by the reception (they were already much bigger in Australia than U2 were in Ireland) that they never went back. They preferred to focus on writing and touring Australia

Also - he was wild in the early 80s. Like two bottles of straight vodka during a concert wild.

He has calmed down considerably and definitely not a bogan (though he is revered by them).

Going through his best of “Hits” and a compilation of soul covers “the best of the soul years” is great listening.

I will concede that I would go to two Jimmy Barnes concerts rather than suffer through another second of Kirin "toxic masculinity" Callinan.

No four-octave range can save bad songs though.

If this were a discussion about John Farnham rather than Jimmy Barnes I would at least pay it.

ok now this is 100% the southern hemisphere equivalent of canadians and celine dion

One key difference is that Jimmy Barnes is very much in the "for dad"/"top twenty Aussie barbecue hits!" bins, rather than the "for mum" bin with Celine.

With 5 months until the first rumored show date, I wonder how much longer they’re going to hold off announcing this thing.

On the basis of nothing but gut instinct, I think the plug has been pulled.

Obviously they were close. Besides all the hot goss from U2songs and others legitimately in the know, we had the Ticketmaster leak. And then suddenly everything has gone cold. What has come up? Is it a logistics question? Is it something in the band's professional or personal lives? The silence is deafening.

But maybe they just want to go hard at the start of June.

On the basis of nothing but gut instinct, I think the plug has been pulled.

Obviously they were close. Besides all the hot goss from U2songs and others legitimately in the know, we had the Ticketmaster leak. And then suddenly everything has gone cold. What has come up? Is it a logistics question? Is it something in the band's professional or personal lives? The silence is deafening.

But maybe they just want to go hard at the start of June.

I tend to agree, based on nothing but instinct. Chatter was at a high prior to last week. Then Monday came, no announcement, and now the rumor mill has died down. Larry probably found out about the tour and aced it. They were hoping to announce it and have tickets on sale before he found out, this blackmailing him into it.

I know nothing has been announced. But I do feel like if they aren’t going to do it, at this point a statement needs to be made. I hope you guys get your shows!!

When was the Aus leg of 360 announced? I seem to think it was less of a gap (August for December tour?) but then that may have had to do with Bono’s surgery.

Sil will tell us #ohmygawd

Last edited:
I tend to agree, based on nothing but instinct. Chatter was at a high prior to last week. Then Monday came, no announcement, and now the rumor mill has died down. Larry probably found out about the tour and aced it. They were hoping to announce it and have tickets on sale before he found out, this blackmailing him into it.

I know nothing has been announced. But I do feel like if they aren’t going to do it, at this point a statement needs to be made. I hope you guys get your shows!!
Why would they have to put out an announcement about why a tour that was never announced wasn't happening?

Why would they have to put out an announcement about why a tour that was never announced wasn't happening?

They issued a statement in 2002 when rumors were running rampant about a European summer tour.

I would just think the story has picked up enough steam at they might want to address it if it isn’t true. Maybe not.

They issued a statement in 2002 when rumors were running rampant about a European summer tour.

I would just think the story has picked up enough steam at they might want to address it if it isn’t true. Maybe not.
That was mid album and tour cycle.

This is something totally random that only nutso u2 fans like us know is even a possibility.

That was mid album and tour cycle.

This is something totally random that only nutso u2 fans like us know is even a possibility.

Plenty of casuals would have heard about it, as lots of radio stations have mentioned the rumour. Particularly Nova, which is a popular station here, spilling the beans because they thought the tour had already been announced. Plus the Sydney Morning Herald (the second most widely read newspaper in Sydney) had that article about the band looking for houses in Sydney. Yeah, I know, newspapers & radio are just about dead, but the tour has definitely been discussed much more widely than just in the forums. Anyway, Friday announcement, so soon lots of people will know!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom