Salome and Discoteque

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tawanda

The Fly
Two of my favorites!!!

Is anyone a big fan of Salome? Does anyone understand the meaning behind it? I've got the CD single and it really gives me a woody.

I am also looking for a video of Discoteque. I have searched everywhere!

Sorry, yeah...it's a word my honey and I use to describe something we reeeaaaalllly like!

I'm a fan of Oscar Wilde, if that's what you mean by Salome!
tongue.gif

foray

No. It is definitely titled "Salome". I heard it only a few times on the radio and had to special order it as a CD single. It's got good bass and rhythm. Wish I could somehow send it to you over the internet...

I am really looking for a video of Discoteque. Any ideas on how to find this?

Salome is a historical figure referred to a couple of times in the Bible (Mark 16). More info on who she was can be found here..
The long of the short of it, she danced in front of her father, King Herod, to try and seduce him and grant her mother's wish to get John the Baptist, or something like that.

Originally posted by rich:

The long of the short of it, she danced in front of her father, King Herod, to try and seduce him and grant her mother's wish to get John the Baptist, or something like that.

Well, the Bible doesn't say she danced seductively, it's just what everyone assumes. She danced for Herod and he was so pleased with her dancing (it doesn't say why) that he said she could have anything she wanted up to half his area of rulership, or something. So she went right off and asked her mother who told her to ask for the head of John the Baptist. Which is what she asked for--it suggests she was seriously controlled by her mother. It's a cool song, obviously from the point of view of Herod. When he says "Baby I feel sick, don't make me stick to my promise," that's right after she makes her request!

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 04-18-2001).]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom