RTÉ 2XM played the NLOTH B-Side Today (Discussion Only)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I definitely like it but can understand why this is a b-side. I'm sure I'll love the layered version a lot more :drool:

I love the squiggly keyboard parts that pop up every now and then. The rhythm section sounds good too.

The only problem I have is that Bono seems to be pushing his voice WAY TOO HARD. Sometimes he really brings something to the song by singing with a lot of passion, but here I'm finding myself cringe a little as he has trouble even singing his own melody. He sounds way outside of his voice's comfort zone. His singing during the bridge is actually a little embarassing. I can just hear a non-U2 fan listening to this and laughing during the bridge. This is probably nitpicking, especially for a b-side, but I think I'd like the song better if the voice was a little lower in the mix and the rest of the song was brought to the forefront. Even though the rhythm is pretty rocking, I think the reason people might find it boring is because it's so quiet compared to Bono's voice.

Sorry for the bitching part, but I do like the song. :up:

I simply cannot understand how people can say the vocals don't sound like Bono :huh:

They sound totally like Bono.

Even if I didn't know this is a U2 song I'd immediatly recognise his voice.

The beginning may sound unlike U2, but certainly not the vocals. Have a little confidence in your singer, he has more than just "one voice" to sing with. :wink:

The song rocks, I cannot get over how catchy the chorus is. It isn't too fast for me, I could get used to the speed. I like the dancey vibe and I absolutely feel that song would have been a better single than GOYB, at least on mainstream radio, but I like GOYB as well.

The singing reminds me a bit of the alternative version of ABOY. That said, I agree that Bono could have tuned it down a little, sometimes I feel he is pushing too hard. The chorus is fantastic, in the verses he's pushing it a bit. The oooohs during the bridge aren't necessary, either. But I really like the lyrics. Just a shame that you cannot really understand what he's singing in verse 2.

Seriously, since we haven't heard the album we don't know how the album version will sound in the end, could be better, could be worse. I think it's wrong to assume it will be a slow version, because those who have heard the album all say the song has twists and turns and becomes rather punkish.

U2 actually managed to choose a song as a B-side that is better than the A-side of the single?

And release a remix before the original song?

:doh::doh:

Okay, I haven't been able to read this entire thread and didn't listen to the 30 second Walmart clips.

The song that premiered today is not the album version of the song? It's an alternate version that is on the b-side of the GOYB single?

If this is the case, I think I will listen, but I want to be clear. Can someone please confirm?

Cool stuff, but definitely something weird going on with Bono's voice. It seems pretty clear to me that they took the raw vocal and speeded it up by a tenth or so. If they pushed it any further, they'd be in Alvin territory.

Still, quite amazing that the vocal is completely devoid of scratchiness. Very good signs from Boots and this song.

Overall, interesting song, definitely B-side material, but a cool listen nonetheless. WAY more interesting than most of the stuff on the last 2 albums. Now they just need to combine that with depth, and we might have something special on our hands.

Hmm, I definitely like it but can understand why this is a b-side. I'm sure I'll love the layered version a lot more :drool:

I love the squiggly keyboard parts that pop up every now and then. The rhythm section sounds good too.

The only problem I have is that Bono seems to be pushing his voice WAY TOO HARD. Sometimes he really brings something to the song by singing with a lot of passion, but here I'm finding myself cringe a little as he has trouble even singing his own melody. He sounds way outside of his voice's comfort zone. His singing during the bridge is actually a little embarassing. I can just hear a non-U2 fan listening to this and laughing during the bridge. This is probably nitpicking, especially for a b-side, but I think I'd like the song better if the voice was a little lower in the mix and the rest of the song was brought to the forefront. Even though the rhythm is pretty rocking, I think the reason people might find it boring is because it's so quiet compared to Bono's voice.

Sorry for the bitching part, but I do like the song. :up:

That's a great point and it explains exactly why this version is not ideal. This song was meant to be done the way it is in the album version--that singing will probably be perfect for the slow, epic version. Also, the chorus sounds much, much better sung slowly and as a clear opening out of a dense fog. While it is clearly a separate version, this one sounds almost like it could just be a speed-up job. Something fun to play around with, but not the right way to play the song as it was written.

The fact that they were close to supplanting the other version with this one is actually a bit scary, now that I think about it.

Heard it a couple times now, I think the song is awesome. I have no complaints at all. I like it better than Boots! Awesome song, with Bono singing his ass off, and it works perfectly.

Hmmm

They chose GOYB as a single when hey have this funny little song that is actually much better. What the hell is Bono thinking by the way with singing these notes.

He is gonna die onstage wih all these high key songs, I kid you not.
He was allready exhausted after boots. Can you imagine No line following that song.

he sounds very clear though. Still thin but I am getting used to that now.
the song itself s funny, not groundbreaking, breathtaking or anything bt a solid outing with a catchy chorus.

A fun song, nothing more, nothing less:up:

Okay, I haven't been able to read this entire thread and didn't listen to the 30 second Walmart clips.

The song that premiered today is not the album version of the song? It's an alternate version that is on the b-side of the GOYB single?

If this is the case, I think I will listen, but I want to be clear. Can someone please confirm?

I would strongly consider not listening--it gives enough away of the real song while also managing to trivialize it in tone a bit. I kinda wish I had abstained until the real deal.

Lovers: keep in mind that I do like this song for what it is: a fun b-side.

wow this is awesome. seriously, when was the last time we got a b-side this good? wondering how different the album version will be though :hmm:

It's not a remix...

What's the difference? :huh: Just because it doesn't say "remix"? It's a sped up version of the album clip we heard with funny sounding keyboard noises, an almost dancey beat and shouted out "No" and "Line" words... sounds pretty much like a remix of the album version to me.

And it is indeed odd that they released the remix before the original version!

Holy crap....this is awesome! I thought the beat at the beginning was Blondie. If people wanted a different U2 from the last two records, they got it! Recognisable U2 sound but this is totally new, with splashes of AB in there and some 80s. Wow.

What's the difference? :huh: Just because it doesn't say "remix"? It's a sped up version of the album clip we heard with funny sounding keyboard noises, an almost dancey beat and shouted out "No" and "Line" words... sounds pretty much like a remix of the album version to me.

And it is indeed odd that they released the remix before the original version!

It's a completely different recording, taken with different instruments, hence not a remix

While technically true, it does sound a hell of a lot like a straight-up remix.

But this would be like calling different takes of the song a remix, when they're just different takes. We don't know how big the differences will be but they are there.

Holy crap....this is awesome! I thought the beat at the beginning was Blondie. If people wanted a different U2 from the last two records, they got it! Recognisable U2 sound but this is totally new, with splashes of AB in there and some 80s. Wow.

YEAH!! this really is awesome, I thought the same about the intro beat sounded like blondie, reaally cool grooove

But I still waiting for the album version, but this its a really great song and a brillant B-side

But this would be like calling different takes of the song a remix, when they're just different takes. We don't know how big the differences will be but they are there.

Ok, it's a totally different song and not just a remix. Can we end the semantics discussion now?

To me, the entire album of 10 Lemon remixes I have sure sound like different songs, but they're all remixes. Same with the EBTTRT remix CD. Whatever. They're different versions - how about that term instead?

Strangely, and I do mean this, despite my having lost the desire to ever listen to GOYB again (after five or six incidental listens), I actually prefer this rather, as I’d assume, truncated version of NLOTH to the aforementioned.

Although in saying that, I’ve been feeling quite strange recently.

Either way, it’s been quite enjoyable to have a reason to listen to this band again.

That and I’ve rediscovered ‘Love Comes Tumbling Down’.:sexywink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom