Review The Movie You Viewed Part VIII: Lance's Mom Takes Manhattan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad you liked this. Probably my 3rd favorite movie, ever. In addition to what you mentioned, the photography by Storaro is fantastic (no surprise there). What separates this from Lean is that the characters feel a bit more fleshed-out and easier to relate to, which is why I think this is superior to Doctor Zhivago (which it was often compared to upon release). I'd say the same thing about Minghella's work on The English Patient in comparison to Lean.

I definitely preferred it to Dr Zhivago, never really liked that one. Give me Bridge on the River Kwai any day. Interesting point about the characters differing from Lean's protagonists, I felt the relationship between Beatty and Keaton was extremely well done and yes, easier to relate to. Compare the final scene of them together as opposed to that in Zhivago (which was very poignant) and the difference in tone and resonance is huge considering the outcome is broadly the same in both.

Originally posted by Saracene

Was there ever a more adorable movie star than Audrey Hepburn?

No. She was absolutely beautiful in every sense and very nearly my favourite actress.

Compare the final scene of them together as opposed to that in Zhivago (which was very poignant) and the difference in tone and resonance is huge considering the outcome is broadly the same in both.

If you're talking about the hospital scene, yeah, it's not melodramatic at all, but manages to be moving because it's sad and funny at the same time, and very true to Reed's character.

It's also worth noting that the big train station scene is done with such simplicity and restraint, with little dialogue, no directorial flourishes, and just a few notes on the piano, and yet manages to become a major hanky moment without having to oversell itself. It's well-deserving of its status as a classic movie moment without resorting to cliches. Something I observed is that Anthony Minghella essentially replicated this for the reunion near the end of Cold Mountain, right down to Gabriel Yared's musical cue.

I love Brittany Murphy, I really do, she is so so so cute mainly for comedy type movies, but also was fantastic being serious in likes of Girl, Interrupted and Dont Say A Word.

I saw Ramen Girl, and figured she'd be able to carry a movie off big-style on her own, she can - but this movie was silly at times and its like she showed not enough strength to do it, unlike like our big Willy. he can, he sure as hell can!

6 outta 10 for the movie.............honestly.........frustrating moments of him shouting at her and vice versa.........too, I dunno...........time wasting or, somethin.

cant quite put finger on it.

It's impossible to search for on here, but I finally caught Away We Go and was very pleasantly surprised. It was probably a foregone conclusion that I'd like it, I know, but I think it was really good. The first two families they encountered were a little too over the top, which I thought was going to sink the entire thing, but things really hit their stride in Montreal.

Up came in today. Very excited about finally seeing it.

UP (DVD, BluRay and Digital copy) is available at Target for $19.99. Just fyi.

Also; "Men Who Stare At Goats". What a piece of crap. Save your $9.50
2/10

I didn't think Goats(e) was that bad, but certainly sub-Coens level. I'd give it a 6 or 7, but the funniest parts were when Gorgeous George was telling a bemused McGregor about the ways of the Jedi.

Up

Yes, I finally saw it. Predictably, I cried. It surprised me - I assumed most of the movie (if not all) was about them getting to the destination in the floating house.

It did not, however, surprise me that it was excellent. And funny. And touching. And {insert ubiquitous praise for Pixar films here}.

I was in a mood for a silly disaster movie with lots of special effects eye candy and I thought it was ok, if rather too long. It was of course full of all the usual cliches and sappy moments but they didn't get on my nerves too much. I definitely appreciated the lack of shaky camera in action scenes :up:

Next time around they'll have to blow up the entire solar system or something :D

I'll keep this brief:

HARD BOILED

hardboiled.jpg

AWESOME.

Doomsday. Viral Outbreak in Scotland, England quarantines the entire country - as if you can contain Scotsmen - lol - and then some military shit happens. 6.5/10. The chick from the last underworld movie is in it, and so is Malcolm McDowell, who plays a Scot with an English accent and has a daughter with an Irish accent, not really sure how that happens if they've been quarantined for 2 decades, but crazier shit has happened, I guess. All in all, I kinda liked it.

Tequila!

So many cool moments in that film it's hard to single one out, but I love when he spits out the toothpick as he fires the gun.

Have you seen The Killer yet? Because it's even better.

Badass action scenes set to the song "Tequila" would make for an awesome montage.

The blood squirting on his way while he's covered in flour was a highlight for me. That and Tequila screaming "BULLSHIT!" when Tony runs back into the hospital to find Johnny.

Not yet. That's encouraging.

It was also the first Woo I saw, so that may have something to do with it. But it's widely regarded as his best.

Another great one is Once A Thief (make sure you get the subtitled version), and his Vietnam epic Bullet in the Head, which isn't as "fun" as the others, but may be his most powerful and accomplished work. I picked up a UK special edition with beaucoup extras for less than $10 recently. There's also A Better Tomorrow and its sequel, which really were what made Chow Yun-Fat a star.

It's also in the running for Most Expensive Out-of-Print Criterion, I think.

Sweet, I'll add those to the list. Have you seen Red Cliff yet?

I found a Criterion laserdisc of Hard Boiled, which has all the extras. Amazon now has a bunch of the Criterion DVDs hovering below $20, so apparently that one's not as in demand as The Killer.

I also have a cheap double-DVD set of Hard Boiled & The Killer, but apparently that's out of print now as well.

I found a Criterion laserdisc of Hard Boiled, which has all the extras. Amazon now has a bunch of the Criterion DVDs hovering below $20, so apparently that one's not as in demand as The Killer.

I also have a cheap double-DVD set of Hard Boiled & The Killer, but apparently that's out of print now as well.

I was referring to The Killer and was surprised to see it in-stock, so that's cool. I hope Netflix would send the Criterion.

Yeah, I have the Dragon Dynasty edition of Hard Boiled, if that's the one you're referring to. I think the transfer's better than Criterion's, too.

Well, you know I'm a fan of Red Cliff, the full version. That's available for import on both DVD and Blu-ray now I believe.

A Better Tomorrow and its sequel are landmark films in both Hong Kong cinema and the genre itself. Must sees. Insanely entertaining.

The Killer is my favorite action film. Period. So suck on that.

I'm thinking I could find the 2-part Red Cliff in Chinatown pretty easily, and for cheap.

Need to get on that, it's only like 5 minutes away from my place.

Lance, have you seen the other two Woo films I mentioned? If not, make them a priority. Chow Yun-Fat has never been as entertaining as he is in Once a Thief.

I'll say this: the Luke character (played by Simon Yam, if I'm not mistaken) in Bullet in the Head comes pretty close to being as cool as Chow Yun-Fat. And that ain't easy. He is one badass motherfucker.

How would you rank?

1. Bullet in the Head
2. The Killer
3. Once A Thief
4. A Better Tomorrow 2
5. Face/Off
6. Hard Boiled
7. A Better Tomorrow
8. Mission Impossible 2
9. Broken Arrow
10. Hard Target

Haven't seen: Paycheck, Windtalkers, Just heroes, anything before A Better Tomorrow

I'm thinking I could find the 2-part Red Cliff in Chinatown pretty easily, and for cheap.

Need to get on that, it's only like 5 minutes away from my place.

Lance, have you seen the other two Woo films I mentioned? If not, make them a priority. Chow Yun-Fat has never been as entertaining as he is in Once a Thief.

That might not be the only thing you'd find in Chinatown...

lopan.jpg

I'll say this: the Luke character (played by Simon Yam, if I'm not mistaken) in Bullet in the Head comes pretty close to being as cool as Chow Yun-Fat. And that ain't easy. He is one badass motherfucker.

How would you rank?

1. Bullet in the Head
2. The Killer
3. Once A Thief
4. A Better Tomorrow 2
5. Face/Off
6. Hard Boiled
7. A Better Tomorrow
8. Mission Impossible 2
9. Broken Arrow
10. Hard Target

Haven't seen: Paycheck, Windtalkers, Just heroes, anything before A Better Tomorrow

Oh God. This is challenging.

1. The Killer
2. A Better Tomorrow
3. Bullet in the Head
4. Once A Thief
5. Hard Boiled
6. A Better Tomorrow 2
7. Face/Off
8. Red Cliff
9. Paycheck
10. Mission Impossible 2
11. Windtalkers
12. Broken Arrow
13. Hard Target

I've only seen part of Last Hurrah for Chivarly, but I liked what I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom