Review the Movie You Viewed 10 (out of 10=Masterpiece)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
America the Beautiful

Really good documentary about the westernized (mainly focusing on America) standards of beauty and the horrific lengths women go to because they feel they don't measure up.

Some funny bits, a lot of heartbreaking stuff, and a really scary and eye-opening look at the cosmetics industry and the toxic ingredients that they don't have to list on the product because they can qualify it as a "trade secret."

The EU has banned 450 ingredients from being used in personal products. The US has banned 6. And people wonder why breast milk can have traces of rocket fuel, or why breast cancer is on the rise. I learned a new word, thanks to this movie: phthalates.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat some key lime gelato and say really nice things to my poochy belly while doing so. :)

9.2 / 10 - Up In The Air - George Clooney rocks.
8 / 10 - Mystery Team (quite funny, quite silly)
8 / 10 - Shutter Island - liked it, but sensed the twist right from the opening scene, which kinda takes away some for me. I like being surprised.
9 / 10 Inception - real dense, quite interesting
7.4 / 10 - Despicable Me - fun, brought my 2 year old. She liked it. So that's nice.

Rachel Getting Married 9.1/10
Paris, Texas 9.2/10
Zelig 9.3/10

A very good week film-wise round here I must say.

Scott Pilgrim vs the World

I will admit that the previews led me to believe this movie might be a big waste of time.
and I realize I am not the demographic the film maker was aiming for.

But, this movie got better reviews than the others that were opening this week end. So I went with the opening night crowd 7:30 Friday night.
After the PSA was over to turn off your cell phones, the movie started, no previews. I don't know if that was intentional or an error by the projectionist.

OK, the film itself?
I enjoyed it more than I ever expected I would. I found myself laughing out loud, more than once. Enjoyed the music. Not a big Cera fan, but he did not annoy me and he pulled the part off. The casting was very good all the way around. Kieran McCauley is a stand out. Vegan Police, I need their number, I'd like to report somebody.

8.5/10

Hot Tub Time Machine

Silly. I laughed out loud quite a few times (I think my favorite was the "I want my two dollars" remark as a dude walked by Cusack.), but there were too many gay-panic jokes.

Also, I don't care for Rod Corddry, so that didn't help.

Date Night 2/4 - Boring and pathetic attempt at comedy. There's just a few giggles at best. No guffaws.

The Losers 3/4 - Not bad but we'll have to wait for sequels to get to an ending.

Food Inc.

After reading Fast Food Inc and The Omnivore's Dilemma, this didn't teach me anything new, but still fascinating.

I think I'm going to try and ease red meat out of my diet. Chicken will be harder, but maybe it's time to be a little more thoughtful about what I buy. I'm fortunate enough to be able to probably spring for pricier meat if I can feel a little less guilty about it.

We'll see how that goes. In the meantime, beef is going to be out. We'll see how it goes.

Seen a whole mess of movies in recent weeks, but I'll just pick out the most notable/memorable highlights:

'Eclipse'

Officially seen all three of those 'Twilight' films now. I'd say this one was probably the best of the three-some of the action scenes were pretty entertaining, and I did like that the movie poked a bit of fun at the "team" battles and the hysteria surrounding the movies and whatnot. And the scenery is gorgeous-wherever this is being filmed, can I live there, please? They still need to work on properly ending the movies, though. They essentially do it cliffhanger style, which I understand, but it's just so dang abrupt and weirdly done.

'The Hangover'

Every woman who's getting married's nightmare come true, but still entertaining and funny. A comedic mystery-I like that the audience sort of got to join in on the investigation into what the hell happened to this band of guys, you were anxious and curious to see what crazy situation came next. Yes, the whole thing bordered on outrageous and unbelievable, but hey, some people have had some utterly bizarre things happen to them in real life before, so... I can't imagine what on earth inspired the story, hopefully nothing in real life, for I'd pity anyone who actually had to go through this.

'500 Days Of Summer'

Really liked this one. I felt insanely bad for poor Tom, no way could I do to him what Summer did, but both Joseph Gordon-Levitt (nice to see he's grown up into a fine young actor. I was quite impressed with him in this movie) and Zooey Deschanel (yay for girls like her getting face time in the media. It's such a refreshing change of pace) managed to make their respective characters' good and bad sides still show through perfectly. And I loved the way the movie was filmed, the means the movie used to illustrate key points in the relationship and their interaction with each other. Very creative, very poignant, very bittersweet...good stuff. Good stuff indeed.

'When A Stranger Calls'

The original version, which scared the crap out of me. For people who like horror movies fast and furious with loads of blood and gore and all that, this probably wouldn't be for you-the middle part is very low-key in its action. There's some tense interaction between the creepy man and a woman halfway through, but otherwise, the truly terrifying moments are mainly at the beginning and the end (the end being where I screamed quite loudly...). But there's more focus on suspense and psychological terror and unease, which I prefer in my horror films. And the guy playing the creepy man-yeesh, did he do his job well. He had the insanity of Syd Barrett from Pink Floyd meets Norman Bates' awkward, eerily quiet, overly forward manner. I had disturbing visions of him all night-he also made me slightly more cautious with my love of English accents :(.

Also saw the remake, which was surprisingly not bad-it took the first few minutes' worth of the original and made that the entirety of the film. Got into the typical chase scenes towards the end, but there were some changes to the setup that worked well (and geez, that house...where the hell is that place and how can I live there?).

Think that's it from my list. The rest of the stuff's mainly just been a lot of romantic comedies, particularly ones with wedding themes, so, woo.

Angela

It took me a long time to get around to seeing Bong Joon-Ho's Mother... but it was really worth it. That be some good shit. Especially after his lousy "Tokyo!" segment I was worried The Host was the best we'd probably see from him. But yeah, clearly not. What a huge step up this was. Really looking forward to what he does next now.

Yeah, I'm not sure how fond of that idea I am now. But could be something interesting. We'll see.

Also just watched Catherine Breillat's Bluebeard. Rather lovely.

As is usually with me, these are not reviews, they are usually one sentence blurbs about movies I just saw that only serve to make me look even more idiotic and devoid of a decent vocabulary than I really am. I'd rather someone asked me why Roy Halladay is so good, but whatever.....

Red Desert - The Father and Son both mentioned that I might have been better served starting off with a different Antonioni film, and perhaps they were right. I mean, I certainly loved the imagery and color, and it was pretty clear that the broken landscape mirrored Giuliana's broken and deteriorating mental state. Heck, even when the characters were inside, you still saw shots of broken down buildings or hulking ships through the windows, and that was sort of mesmerizing, at least to me. However, and maybe this is a hallmark of the man's films, I found that I cared for the scenery way more than I cared about any of the characters. So I enjoyed it to a certain extent, but it really did not resonate with me in any way. But damn, those colors were rich.

Black Narcissus - I had very high hopes for this one after hearing some of you rave about it. I cannot say that my expectations were fully met, but, there's no denying that the film definitely captured my attention in a few ways, and I definitely liked and admired it. I think it was one of the more subtle (or maybe just intelligent) films I've seen that dealt with the spirit vs flesh battle. Did not seem far fetched to me at all. Thought it was really well acted, and I liked how the....intensity, I guess, seemed to slowly gain momentum throughout the film up until the powerful and well done ending.

The Bicycle Thief - You have to admire a film that is this simple yet packed that powerful of a punch, especially at the end. I know that this is neo-realism and so, to say "it felt real" would be redundant, but, I very much felt like I was tagging along with Antonio and Bruno. Speaking of Bruno, that has to be one of my 2-3 favorite performances by a child actor of all-time. I really don't have much more to say about the film except that I thought it was wonderfully shot, or else I don't think I'd have felt more like a participant than an observer.

Lawrence of Arabia - Yes, please. This is the type of stuff that is very much up my alley. I love big historical epics, hell, even big fictional epics...be it via film or literature, and this did not disappoint. The desert scenery was absolutely phenomenal and seductive, for starters. O'Toole does a fantastic job. The man is basically on screen for 3.5 hours straight and I struggle to recall him hitting a false note. And his portrayal, at least to me, did not feel like a typical leading man in a similar role....he was parts brash, reserved, humble, arrogant and charismatic and always believable. Anyway, the film is remarkable in that it held me engrossed for that long and yet was devoid of any real action sequences or love stories, things we are trained to look for or expect in films of this nature. I guess the real love story was between Lawrence and the desert (though it could be argued that Lawrence was more about bucking British behavioral expectations than anything else). Loved it.

Rififi - Oh hell yes. As I've babbled about before, I just love heist films. From The Sting to Thief to Heat to Heist to The Score to Inception, there's just something about films of this nature that I love. And while I thought the film dragged about for the final 1/3, the first 2/3 were thrilling. The protagonist is established, the job presents itself, the team is assembled, the joint is cased, the plan is drawn up, the plan is put into practice, the wrench is thrown into the works but overcome, the spoils are hidden, mistakes are made, prices have to be paid, sometimes of a tragic nature. The heist alone makes the film worth it, for the skill with which it is shot and for the skill which the characters exhibit while pulling it off. Great stuff.

One of these things is not like the other....

Avatar - I'd seen it in 3-D/IMAX in the theaters upon its release, but now have watched it in 2D on the BLU. Wow, I mean, there are still flaws galore but the film looks absolutely stunning. I actually preferred watching it like this over 3D. Just gorgeous.

Good stuff. With Red Desert (and mature Antonioni), the concerns are often more existential than personal, and often deal with alienation in modern society. So I wouldn't worry about not caring about the characters specifically so much as feeling the tone and theme that he's going for. I'd suggest seeing The Passenger with Jack Nicholson (one of his few English films), as well as his earlier L'Avventura.

Glad that you liked Black Narcissus. I don't consider it the strongest of the Powell & Pressburger films outside of the cinematography, but it's a fun ride. Hope you'll check out more of their films.

Rififi is another great one, and I'd recommend other Jules Dassin films such as The Naked City, Brute Force, Night and the City, and Topkapi. It should be noted that despite the French-sounding name, Dassin was American and only went to France after getting blacklisted.

From Dassin you can hop over to Jean-Pierre Melville, who made a lot of great crime films like The Red Circle, Bob le Flambeur, Le Doulous, Le Samourai, and the phenomenal French Resistance thriller Army of Shadows. That last one really is essential viewing.

Rififi is another great one, and I'd recommend other Jules Dassin films such as The Naked City, Brute Force, Night and the City, and Topkapi. It should be noted that despite the French-sounding name, Dassin was American and only went to France after getting blacklisted.

From Dassin you can hop over to Jean-Pierre Melville, who made a lot of great crime films like The Red Circle, Bob le Flambeur, Le Doulous, Le Samourai, and the phenomenal French Resistance thriller Army of Shadows. That last one really is essential viewing.

Nice....thanks for the recommendations.

Avatar - I'd seen it in 3-D/IMAX in the theaters upon its release, but now have watched it in 2D on the BLU. Wow, I mean, there are still flaws galore but the film looks absolutely stunning. I actually preferred watching it like this over 3D. Just gorgeous.

Thanks for posting that about Avatar, I did watch on the big screen, several times.
Sure a few flaws, but overall a ground breaking film with much to be admired.

I also, posted that in 2D the film was more enjoyable. I took a lot of heat for that. The trade offs for 3D on a quality film are not there. I am glad to see the upping the fun on films like Step Up 3D, Jack Ass 3D and Saw 3D.

A good film draws you in. The artificial 3D filming is less like real life than traditional 2D.

Karate Kid 2010 version

Surprisingly good.
The kids loved it. Will's kid did a nice job, he has an incredible future.

Thanks for posting that about Avatar, I did watch on the big screen, several times.
Sure a few flaws, but overall a ground breaking film with much to be admired.

I also, posted that in 2D the film was more enjoyable. I took a lot of heat for that. The trade offs for 3D on a quality film are not there. I am glad to see the upping the fun on films like Step Up 3D, Jack Ass 3D and Saw 3D.

A good film draws you in. The artificial 3D filming is less like real life than traditional 2D.

I think that the 3D experience for Avatar was wonderful, especially for whatever was front and center. But there was just so much to see in the background when I saw it in 2D that I wound up preferring it. I think that it's the best looking Blu Ray I've seen.

That is just it. I always want to be able to see every thing in the shot, on the screen. I don't want just certain things in focus front and center.

And when things jump out over the first few rows of the theater, it takes me out of the story and reminds me I am in a theater.

Herzog is doing a 3D about the Chauvet caves of Southern France, capturing the oldest known pictorial creations of humankind in their astonishing natural setting. His 3D will only go from the screen back, to draw the viewer in. That may work better.

Laz's Antonioni suggestions are just about right. Probably go with L'Avventura before The Passenger too even. But there you have it. After that you can finish the very loose "trilogy" that compliments L'Avventura, "La Notte" and "L'Eclisse." I've still only seen each Antonioni film just once, but upon reflection I get the feeling if I were to rewatch the whole bunch (which I really should some time soon), L'Eclisse might standout as his greatest work, or at least my new favorite. It completely went over my head the time I first watched it, but it hasn't left my mind in the two years or so since.

That is just it. I always want to be able to see every thing in the shot, on the screen. I don't want just certain things in focus front and center.

So shallow depth of field is a no-go for you then? How do you feel about Jane Campion or Grandieux or the like?

Eat, Pray, Love

There was a part where Javier Bardem is telling Julia Roberts to come with him in a boat to an island, where it would just be "you, me and 400 parrots."

Except it totally sounded like he said "400 pirates," and my friends and I laughed really hard.

I loved the book, but the movie was a bit of a slog. Nice soundtrack, though.

I find Javier Bardem to be inexplicably sexy so for that alone I want to see this movie even though it looks like shit.

Back
Top Bottom