Rest of U2 Survivor: ATYCLB - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Kite

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • In a Little While

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Wild Honey

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Peace On Earth

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • When I Look At the World

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • New York

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Grace

Votes: 31 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
mofo82 said:
When the album first came out, I was missing that, and once you meet someone with all those qualities, you get to know what Bono saw that made him write that song. THEN, it doesn't seem like trash, if you ask me.

Oh, I see. Typical man. Because I'm single and lonely with only a cat to keep me company, I can't possibly grasp what Bono is saying because being single makes me less of a human somehow and my life is all empty without this beautiful love ....

oh god, I'm going to die alone. And then my cat will eat me.

Woe. :(

I :heart: All That You Can't Leave Behind... especially in this version:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On (single version)
Kite
Stuck In A Moment (acoustic intro + album version + acoustic outro)
In A Little While
Wild Honey (with slightly better lyrics)
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace

3rd masterpiece :drool: :wink:

corianderstem said:

Oh, I see. Typical man. Because I'm single and lonely with only a cat to keep me company, I can't possibly grasp what Bono is saying because being single makes me less of a human somehow and my life is all empty without this beautiful love ....

Meow

corianderstem said:

Woah, woah, woah

Why are you taking it that way? Remember when I said you find hope in the midst of dispair? They left me hopeful for a person, didn't have to be a girlfriend. Hell, I think my mom's a saint for dealing with all my bs as a kid and her own history of problems, and the song stands for her too when I hear it. Don't take it as a jab at the singles here in Interference, just one person's take on the song in one of thousand connections :heart:

grumpypopcorn.gif

Zootlesque said:
I :heart: All That You Can't Leave Behind... especially in this version:

Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On (single version)
Kite
Stuck In A Moment (acoustic intro + album version + acoustic outro)
In A Little While
Wild Honey (with slightly better lyrics)
Peace On Earth
When I Look At The World
New York
Grace

3rd masterpiece :drool: :wink:

Contrary to most U2 albums, this album gets worse with each listen. I liked it to start with ... But now, with the exception of Beautiful Day and Grace (and TGBHF), every other song loses power...And i suppose Walk On and Kite are good live. I'm always surprised when I realise just how little there is to get your teeth into on this album. It was a reminder that U2 were still U2 after Pop, and thats it. Bomb is better...just.

Okay, clearly we are not on the same wavelength tonight, mofo82, because that was MY attempt at funny.

I swear, I'm not forlorn and afraid that my cat will eat me. I like my life, I promise.

:wink:

Stuck and Elevation are absolute crap in their album incarnations. Elevation sounds like Britney Spears attempting to rock out, and Stuck sounds like Tom Jones.

mofo82 said:
cori, my bad, I think we need to take classes at second city or emoticon 101 :wink: just throw one of those bad boys in there

Well, it could have been worse. You could have posted about how special Grace was for you because your grandma was eaten by a bear or something, and I would have responded with LOLOLOLOLOL, only to find out it was a true story, and then I would have had to hide in shame for the rest of my internet days.

:wink:

I kinda have to agree with you LemonMelon about those two, but U2 makes them a bit more respectable. I don't even want to think about what Tom Jones would do to a song like Elevation, especially if he wrote it :yikes:

LemonMelon said:
Stuck and Elevation are absolute crap in their album incarnations. Elevation sounds like Britney Spears attempting to rock out, and Stuck sounds like Tom Jones.

:lmao:

But I'm ashamed to say, I go crazy during Elevation live. And come on, who doesn't!?

luna_lovegood said:
I liked it to start with ... But now, with the exception of Beautiful Day and Grace (and TGBHF), every other song loses power

Almost the exact opposite happened to me. At first, except for Beautiful Day I hated the album. Over the years and especially after Bomb was released, this album really has grown on me!

luna_lovegood said:

:lmao:

But I'm ashamed to say, I go crazy during Elevation live. And come on, who doesn't!?

I love Elevation live, actually. The Elevation tour version, not Vertigo. It takes the Vertigo version too long to get going.

Last edited:
corianderstem said:
I always think I like this album, but when I look at the list of songs, there's just so much on it that's just plain old mediocre.

This album is so controversial! This is going to be an interesting next few rounds of survivor. Although I think we can be pretty assured of Kite cruising into the number 1 spot with little effort.

LemonMelon said:
Elevation sounds like Britney Spears attempting to rock out, and Stuck sounds like Tom Jones.

Oh, now you're just making shit up.

Grace sounds like Sonny Bono in drag.

New York sounds like Miley Cyrus on heroin.

All right, kids. I'm off to bed. Please try not to burn down the thread overnight. :wink:

I just can't really listen to the last half of the album, WILATW excepted, and WILATW suffers from having a similar tone to the rest of them even if it's a better song. bono doesn't sing well on it though.

New York - most interesting melody of the dreadful 4, but god, stupid lyrics and I am a Bostonian so I have long resented it, even if I actually love living in NY. And the lyrics are utter shit except for the last verse, which is decent but nothing spectacular.

Wild Honey - aforementioned monkey bullshit. crap twangy guitar. wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild honey whine. ugh.

Grace - oh god. talk about a mix of trite lyrics (see: the last verse) and wtf lyrics (karma) and captain obvious lyrics (name for a girl).

Peace on Earth - I agree that it could have had potential. I might like this best if I think about it, of the 4 shithole songs. But I might like NY best. I don't mind the chorus's lyrics but they could have crescendo'd and been so much more. I don't mind the lyrics really taht much, they are nothing special, though I really dislike the first 2 lines and from there it sort of goes to sleep. The melody is ugh, and Edge could have been doing something really interesting with his guitar.

ATYCLB for the phail

corianderstem said:

Well, it could have been worse. You could have posted about how special Grace was for you because your grandma was eaten by a bear or something,

you...heard? :(

thing is the bear didn't kill her, it was the forest rangers that shot the bear, aaand of course they actually shot her at the same time, so then the bear let go of her to only fall into the bear traps set around her. Not a good way to start the weekend :no:

Ok, that was wrong but it reminded me of Family Guy when Quagmire fakes his death to get out of the marriage to Peter's maid, and he's attacked by toy dinosaurs and a pots & pans robot :laugh: Good stuff

mofo82 said:

Ok, that was wrong but it reminded me of Family Guy when Quagmire fakes his death to get out of the marriage to Peter's maid, and he's attacked by toy dinosaurs and a pots & pans robot :laugh: Good stuff

That one was just on TBS tonight. Peter singing the Jurassic Park theme during the dinosaur attack ... bwa ha haaa!

Okay, I'm really off now. Kitty's starting to nibble on my spleen.

Bad kitty! No biscuit!

This may be the most hyper-critical U2 survivor round I've ever seen.

But HTDAAB is still yet to come.

I liked HTDAAB very much.

But I hope they change up their sound, just so EYKIW will become bearable again...for a few months, anyway.

This kind of criticism isn't a bad thing, I just love the underdog, and in this case Grace and New York just happen to be both underdogs and unliked for the most part (insert Spoon reference here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom