Rank Your Favorite Songs on the Album Part 2: POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might be the only person who thinks Do You Feel Loved is the best song on the album......and I think that despite feeling like the song is just shy of being awesome.

Nope you're not the only one. I feel it's one of their best dance type songs, or whatever you want to categorize it under. I felt it was the best from the first time I heard it. It's espeically a great driving song as well.

My third favourite U2 album...

01. Gone
02. Do You Feel Loved
03. If You Wear That Velvet Dress

04. Mofo
05. Wake Up Dead Man
06. Discotheque
07. Please

08. Miami
09. If God Will Send His Angels
10. Last Night on Earth

11. The Playboy Mansion

i think my problem with Pop has always been that i don't get the same feeling when i listen to it as i do most other U2 albums... i don't think there's a bad song on the album but it really doesn't change the way i feel like Boy, TUF, JT, AB, Zooropa, Attyclub...

1- Gone
2- Mofo
3- Please
4- God
5- Disco
6- Velvet
7- Last Night
8- Wake Up
9- Staring
10- Do You Feel
11- Playboy
12- Miami

This shit is so difficult. I don't know how you guys do it. I'll throw one together, though. This is my 3rd favorite U2 album, btw, and I don't dislike any of its tracks:

1. Please
2. Mofo
3. Last Night On Earth
4. Do You Feel Loved
5. Gone
6. Wake Up Dead Man
7. Staring At The Sun
8. Discotheque
9. If God Will Send His Angels
10. The Playboy Mansion
11. Miami
12. If You Wear That Velvet Dress

This shit is so difficult. I don't know how you guys do it.

Here's how you do it.

1. Cut a hole in the box.

2. Think a little bit about your favorite tracks.

3. Throw them into a list.

4. Change a few things once or twice.

5. Hit post.

6. Don't lose any sleep over it, because it's not written in biblical stone and it's okay if your order changes the next day.

7. PROFIT!!!!!

Sort of easy, I only have 8/12 POP tracks on my iPod.

The Standouts :drool:
1 - Gone
2 - Please
3 - Mofo
4 - Do You Feel Loved
5 - Staring At The Sun

The OKs :up:
6 - Discotheque
7 - Last Night On Earth
8 - Wake Up Dead Man
9 - If God Will Send His Angels
10 - If You Wear That Velvet Dress

The Simply Terrible (in the case of POP, no offense) :down:
11 - Miami
12 - The Playboy Mansion

1.Please
2.Gone
3.Discotheque
4.Mofo
5.Staring At The Sun
6.Do You Feel Loved
7.If God Will Send His Angels
8.Wake Up Dead Man
9.Last Night On Earth
10.If You Wear That Velvet Dress
11.The Playboy Mansion
12.Miami

---FANTASTIC---
1 - Gone
2 - Please
---acceptable---
3 - Last Night on Earth
4- Discotheque
5- Staring at the Sun
6- If God will Send his Angels
7- If you wear that Velvet Dress
---ho hum---
8 - Mofo
9 - The Playboy Mansion
10- Wake Up Dead Man
11 - Do you feel loved
----Bolls----
12 - Miami

1) Gone
2) Mofo
3) Last Night on Earth
4) Please
5) Discotheque
6) Do You Feel Loved?
7) Staring at the Sun
8) If God Will Send His Angels
9) Wake Up Dead Man
10) If You Wear That Velvet Dress
11) Miami
12) The Playboy Mansion

Among U2's Best
1) Gone
2) Mofo

Great
3) Staring At The Sun
4) Discotheque
5) Do You Feel Loved

Good
6) Please
7) Last Night On Earth
8) The Playboy Mansion
9) If God Would Send His Angels
10) Wake Up Deadman

Just OK
11) If You Wear The Velvet Dress

Pretty bad
12) Miami

Overall a good album. Not one of my favorites or U2's very best, but very underrated nonetheless ;)

It amazes me that over ten years on, so many people still dislike Miami. The music, a new direction for the band, conjures up its subject atmosphere perfectly, as do Bono's lyrics. You have a little Latin flavor with the background vocals (which always reminded me of Jane's Addiction), that dirty little "car chase" guitar solo, and the great moment where the beat from Led Zeppelin's When The Levee Breaks.

Are people THAT put off just because Bono yells "My mammy!" at the end? Really?

No, I just really hate songs that feel "hot" and "muggy" like fucking Florida.

Oh and it's a song about fucking Florida too.

The song never stood a chance with me.

Here's how you do it.

5. Hit post.

6. Don't lose any sleep over it, because it's not written in biblical stone and it's okay if your order changes the next day.

7. PROFIT!!!!!

Phase 2: ?

Anyway. Pop is one of my favorite albums by anybody. not sure where I'd put it on my U2 ranking list - probably third or fourth. depends on the day.

here's how I'd rank them.

1- Discotheque
2- Mofo
3- Last Night On Earth
4- Gone
5- Please
6- Staring at the Sun
7- Do You Feel Loved
8- Miami
9- Wake Up Dead Man
10- If God Will Send His Angels
11- If You Wear That Velvet Dress
12- The Playboy Mansion

It's not even that I dislike the last few tracks. I can love each song on the album on the right day. Discotheque is definitely my favorite song here, though and I'm not even really sure why. It's always been one of my favorite U2 songs in general, love the riff, the lyrics, the bridge. I nearly soiled myself in Toronto for the 9/17/2005 show when they played Discotheque. I was disappointed because originally they were supposed to play it after Vertigo or Elevation - very early on in the set. It didn't show up and I was like well...shit. Then during the encore I'm waiting for the Zoo slot machines and it's different and it ends up being the Pop faces with Pop symbols and Pop Muzik with Bono strutting around the ellipse and then they play that dancey version of it which is also probably my favorite version of it in a live setting. Was probably my favorite moment of the Vertigo tour and I saw a lot of shows (24). didn't expect to see Discotheque played ever in general, but I was wrong.

Anyway I remember when the album came out I was only 10 years, but my brother and sister are big fans too so I remember watching the Discotheque video when it premiered and I thought it was pretty cool, but what the hell did I know? i was 10. but I did like the song and I still do. I listened to the album a lot that summer by default since like I said, my brother and sister were huge U2 fans so this is the first new U2 album i was really exposed to. Though I did hear Zooropa as a 6 year old on cassette on a trip to Cape cod which I still remember oddly.

It amazes me that over ten years on, so many people still dislike Miami. The music, a new direction for the band, conjures up its subject atmosphere perfectly, as do Bono's lyrics. You have a little Latin flavor with the background vocals (which always reminded me of Jane's Addiction), that dirty little "car chase" guitar solo, and the great moment where the beat from Led Zeppelin's When The Levee Breaks.

Are people THAT put off just because Bono yells "My mammy!" at the end? Really?

I find the dislike amusing, too, but eh, at the same time, I can see where the song may not be to everyone's tastes, and I don't think it's as simple as the "my mammy" line. It's a really, REALLY strange little number, that can't be denied. Some people aren't big on overly "out there" songs.

I like it for that very reason, though. I think my favorite thing about the song is the music-I feel like I've sunk under and am floating aimlessly in some murky body of water or something when I listen to the song. And despite the fact that I wouldn't want to have that happen to me in real life, I like the image for the song. Go figure. And the lyrics are just so random and there's a hint of sexiness thrown in and...yeah. It's an interesting experiment from the band. I'm curious to know what inspired it.

I never heard this album anywhere when it came out. Only exposure I would've had to any of the music was from around, oh, say, 1999 up to 2002 or so-would've heard "If God Will Send His Angels" by way of the movie 'City Of Angels' (but at the time I didn't pay as close attention, 'cause I was in full teenybopper mode then musically-Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears and whatnot), and then I seem to recall a rock station in northwestern Iowa occasionally playing "Staring At The Sun". And that's about it. I didn't discover this album until after I started really getting into U2. I just love it because it brings back memories of awesome '90s alternative music (even though I was into boy bands and such, I did enjoy the occasional alternative music here and there) and because the songs just fit my musical tastes so well. It's a toss-up between this and The Joshua Tree for favorite U2 album (the latter being because that's the first album of the band's that I brought upon becoming a bigger fan, and because it has "With Or Without You", which is a classic song).

Angela

how in god's name does one afford 24 shows on one tour

A very good job that pays with lots of $$$$$.

or maybe they just followed cori's advice:

5. Hit post.

7. PROFIT!!!!!

My advice does not apply to this, because I for one have definitely not made a profit from seeing U2 multiple times.

There must be another step or two I'm leaving out.

I'm going to start making newspaper hats and write U2 on them in black sharpie. I think they'll be huge.

It seems to me difficult even to rank the songs from this album which is my favourite (see my avatar :wave:). Well, I'll try.

Absolutely great.

1 - Please - No comments. One of my favourite U2 songs.
2 - Gone - So beautiful and touching, but, at the same time, has the notes of grandeur.
3 - If God will send his angels - That's a pity that, being released as a single, this song didn't get the popularity. It is worth of it.
4 - If you wear that velvet dress - The same.
5 - Mofo - No comments again.
6 - Do you feel loved - May I have no comments, OK?
7 - Discotheque

Just great.

8 - Staring at the sun - The only reason by what this song has so "poor" position is that I listened to it so many times that I'd got tired of the track.:|
9 - Wake up, dead man

Good.

10 - Last night on Earth
11 - Miami - Interesting track. Love its line of guitar.

The only track I don't like is

12 - The Playboy mansion

Please
Gone
SATS
IYWTVD

Playboy Mansion
IGWSHA
Mofo
Discotheque

WUDM
LNOE