Random Music Talk XLVII: 'tis (almost) the season to be jolly. But not "joyful".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Down All the Days is the best of the group, I agree. It's probably a better song than Numb, though Numb is sort of an oddity, so it's kind of comparing apples and oranges.

So Morrissey was dreamy last night. I was very close, and it was kind of exciting to see him standing more or less right in front of me. I had to contain the squealing girl in me. He looked amazing, he sounded amazing, and he was in fine form - laughing, smiling, making jokes. I could have listened to him sing for many more hours.

He had a bit of trouble with the altitude as everyone who performs here does (we're at 7,000+ ft.), and after You Have Killed Me he said, "Your clean ... mountain air ... is ... killing me." Indeed, he was sweating and puffing, and it was only the 2nd song. But he transcended it.

Can't say that he sang a lot of my favorites, but he has so many awesome songs everything was great.

He gave a lecture about not killing things for "Thankskiling," and at the end took his shirt off and tossed it in the audience. It landed dangerously close to me and a fight broke out over it and was still going on as my friend and I made our way out of the building. The anti-hero was a rock star last night.

Oh, and one cute guy made it up onstage and kissed him, much to Moz' delight.

Nice to hear he's still bringing it, at least on occasion.

I saw him for Your Arsenal and was in the second row. There was like a steady line of people allowed to go up and leave presents for him. Not sure if he hugged anyone.

He threw his navy blue velour sweater into the crowd, and it was predictably torn to shreds. One of the sleeves came into my row and I think I plucked a few thick threads off it. I didn't keep them.

At the end of the show, the band went total punk rock, and the drummer literally threw the bass drum into the crowd. It was, needless to say, amazing.

cobl04 said:
I love pussy, I love bitches, I should be running PETA

I watched homeboy's hour long special this morning and realized how fortunate I am having already heard 80% of the material.

"You my favorite rapper now!"
Yeah, dude, I better be
Or you can fuckin kiss my ass...
Human centipede

Nice to hear he's still bringing it, at least on occasion.

I saw him for Your Arsenal and was in the second row. There was like a steady line of people allowed to go up and leave presents for him. Not sure if he hugged anyone.

He threw his navy blue velour sweater into the crowd, and it was predictably torn to shreds. One of the sleeves came into my row and I think I plucked a few thick threads off it. I didn't keep them.

At the end of the show, the band went total punk rock, and the drummer literally threw the bass drum into the crowd. It was, needless to say, amazing.

Ha, that sounds amazing. The only other time he played here he seemed rather dismissive of the audience, maybe because of the venue layout (theater style) there was a larger barrier between audience and stage. But this layout took the GA-only audience within a couple of feet of the stage and there were many casualties as people frantically tried to body surf up to the stage only to crash land at the rail.

The funny thing about the shirt was that it wasn't the one he wore all night - just for one encore - so it wasn't exactly drenched with his precious sweat or anything. The band (amusingly, all looking alike - young, clean-cut, and handsome with matching shirts) did throw everything possible into the audience. I got smacked in the arm rather hard with a drumstick.

Down All the Days is the best of the group, I agree. It's probably a better song than Numb, though Numb is sort of an oddity, so it's kind of comparing apples and oranges.

Right, it's a better "song", but the latter is by far the ballsiest first single the band ever released, and I'd argue the ballsiest single ever released by any mainstream band.

I'm more likely to put on DATD by itself, whereas the other just fits perfectly in the context of its album.

Back to weird sleep/dream stuff for a minute... does anybody ever dream of new music, stuff that doesn't exist but that you totally created in the dream state? I had such a dream last night. I heard an entire finished recording of new music from Jeff Buckley. Freaked the shit out of me. How does that happen??? I can still hear one of the songs in my head - just him singing and a piano. I should have written the lyrics down but those are gone now.

It happened once before with Radiohead 3-4 years ago. Complete with orchestral arrangements and a choir. Wtf.

I've read this happens to a lot of musicians, but I'm not a musician or a singer and do not have any musical talents whatsoever, except I learned to play some songs on the guitar.

The shit I’m doin' this year?
Insanity
Made the beat then murdered it
Casey Anthony
These rappers don’t know what to do
Cuz all I did was ac' me like a Looney Tune
I’ll give you all of me until there’s nothing left
I swear this summer will be summer camp
Bitch

I need to go back and listen to Culdesac, and some of the EPs.

Wiki has him listed as having two full albums before Culdesac? Have you heard those?

I've heard Poindexter, but I haven't been able to find Sick Boi. The former is just alright. The I Am Just a Rapper set of mixtapes has some cool stuff, even though he's just rapping over songs you've already heard ("My Girls," "Two Weeks," "Black Rainbow," etc).

Culdesac is the shit though.

Your team's Al Gore cos your views are wrong

Why are you doing our politically conservative high school's shamefully outdated fight rap?

#CAMPSWAG.

I really like it. So awesome having an intelligent rapper, the lyrics are awesome and funny too. Puts Goblin to shame.

Is there anything this man can't do? And that's not rhetoric, I'm seriously asking.

Haven't heard a note of Childish Gambino's music. Guess I should look up Camp? Or is that a Friggin Cobbler move?

Damn, I haven't heard J. Cole's album either. It's been a good year for hip-hop.

PhilsFan said:
Freaks and Geeks is one of my favorite hip-hop songs ever.

Really? It's great, but not that great. In my opinion.

Anyway apparently Alison Brie, Butt Soup, Evil Abed and ?uestlove were freestyling last night. ?uestlove on twitter: "she just rhymed vagina and find uh... #AlBriesGreatestHits"

I fucking love these guys. ? also tweeted about Community, and Blake Griffin changed his profile pic at one stage and said #18seasonsandasmalltown.

I actually just listened to it for the first time in ages, and yeah, it fucking rules. Can you still find all the Derrick stuff online?

And out of curiosity does anyone know if me purchasing a show week-by-week on iTunes somehow helps its figures? Thinking of doing this with Community.

Back to weird sleep/dream stuff for a minute... does anybody ever dream of new music, stuff that doesn't exist but that you totally created in the dream state? I had such a dream last night. I heard an entire finished recording of new music from Jeff Buckley. Freaked the shit out of me. How does that happen??? I can still hear one of the songs in my head - just him singing and a piano. I should have written the lyrics down but those are gone now.

It happened once before with Radiohead 3-4 years ago. Complete with orchestral arrangements and a choir. Wtf.

I've read this happens to a lot of musicians, but I'm not a musician or a singer and do not have any musical talents whatsoever, except I learned to play some songs on the guitar.

Yeah, I dream about either attending concerts (usually bizarre "just announced today" type U2 shows), hearing new songs / albums, etc. Sometimes I have "nightmares" about not being able to go to shows for bands I love, or missing something and people I know end up hanging out with the band, etc.

I've only dreamed about a U2 show once. It was a few months back. For some reason, I heard about a U2 show in Philly as it was happening, and I drove there and got there as they were playing the last song, which I think was Stand by Me. Someone handed me a setlist as I walked in and they played an awesome show with songs like The Fly and One Tree Hill and Bad and I missed them all and just got to see the end of the shitty cover. Then Bono was looking for someone to play guitar during the song and pulled some lady in a Larry Fitzgerald jersey up and she couldn't play so they just kind of ended it laughing and walked off. Then I woke up because I don't sleep more than a couple of hours anymore.

And out of curiosity does anyone know if me purchasing a show week-by-week on iTunes somehow helps its figures? Thinking of doing this with Community.
i'm sure it does but i wouldn't do it. i love apple and itunes but buying any type of video through them is a fucking waste of effort. you can't even burn them to a dvd and the files are huge.

if it were me, i'd look into buying seasons one and two on dvd if you haven't already. it doesn't help for the current season yeah, but buying episodes on itunes will hog a huge chunk of hard drive space (one season of a show is usually like 6 gb or something?). so yeah.

i'd been thinking of buying that and/or big bang theory but i'm conflicted. if i buy them here for cheap during black friday sales or something i can only watch them on my laptop once i'm back in nz. but if i buy them over there, then i can only watch them over there. i understand the reasoning behind regions on dvds, believe me, but damn if it's not the most inconvenient thing.

joyfulgirl said:

Yeah, I have dreams like that frequently enough, like once or twice a year.

I wouldn't say I'm a musician, but I am musically inclined...

If only you could rap in Spanish imps

I do know the whole rap, but it didn't occur to me at all that it could be an option. I was strapped for time though (so was he), so the handshake had to suffice. And suffice it did!

I swagged Camp out today. Introduced it to at least five different people. Firefly, Heartbeat, Hold You Down and Sunrise are my favourites.

"Heartbeat" and "Sunrise" are certainly highlights for me. I'd probably throw "Backpackers" and "You See Me" in there too. Album slays.

Sometimes I have "nightmares" about not being able to go to shows for bands I love

i used to have those pretty much every day before a show until i had a car and no longer had to rely on buses or the transportation of someone who was going to the show with me. normally they were that i just managed to oversleep, but before the warped tour one year i did have a particularly ridiculous dream about a tornado "running" alongside our car on the side of the highway throwing various obstacles into the middle of the road to block the path...i wish i could remember what some of the bizarre objects it was tossing into the road were, because i think it was shit like washing machines and random appliances along with the odd cow or two. never did understand why the tornado didn't just destroy us itself. silly, silly subconsciousness.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom