Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duster surprise-released a new album this week - I love it. They are a criminally underappreciated band.

The new Father John Misty album really hit me as well. It won't be for everyone, but I found its hazy noir-jazz vibe affecting. Reminds me of something you would hear at the Green Mill in Chicago.

TERROR TWILIGHT - FAREWELL HORIZONTAL

I can’t believe it’s taken 10+ years for this reissue to come out, but the day is finally here!

My 2-CD set is en route.

Yup. The one later album of theirs that absolutely ranks up with their first few. And maybe then some?

A devastating loss for sure, though. I was lucky enough to meet him a few times over the years and he was such a sweet man.

Wow! What an experience. I'm pretty upset because I skipped seeing them a few years back and then got tickets to see them this August which obviously isn't happening now.

TERROR TWILIGHT - FAREWELL HORIZONTAL

I can’t believe it’s taken 10+ years for this reissue to come out, but the day is finally here!

My 2-CD set is en route.

:up:

I've been listening to some of the demos and bonus disc tracks today.

I needed something new to listen to, so I looked through the P-fork reviews of new electronic and randomly chose an album.

This debut record from Vitesse X is quite good, if anyone else needs new electronica in their life. It covers a couple genres, I think - a little techno, a little vaporwave, some ambient-vibe vocals. I like it.

Condolences to mikal regarding the bassist from Dance Gavin Dance. RIP Tim Feerick.

I know Dance Gavin Dance really isn't most people's cup of tea, but they have a pretty big cult following. Tim was a very talented bass player. Not sure what happened yet but man...so tragic.

The only thing keeping my spirits high is that I'm seeing Biffy Clyro live for the first time in Chicago on Sunday.

Guys, if you haven't seen Big Thief live, do yourselves a favor and attend their show. One of the loudest shows I've been to. Even if their sets are kind of short for their catalog (especially given the length of their latest album), they are unbelievable live. I didn't get to hear Mary, which I had been hoping for, but it didn't matter. All the new songs sound incredible. Not is a beast live as expected, and I was happy to hear Masterpiece, Simulation Swarm, Cattails, and Spud Infinity (a highlight in the album and the show - the mouth harp really made people laugh). Lenker is a treasure, and her guitar playing is unbelievably good.

Also saw the Wilco YHF anniversary on Friday, and I was super emotional for that. I can't believe that album, which has been so important to me and for expanding my music horizons at the time, is already 20. Hearing those songs in their proper order and with arrangements that were deliberately close to the album was stunning (even if that meant no Nels solo on Ashes of American Flags, though they even kind of played its fake intro to Heavy Metal Drummer). They had a string quartet and a full brass section, so even overplayed songs like Jesus Etc and I'm the Man Who Loves You were refreshing to hear. What a stone cold classic that album is. I was most looking forward to the closing trip - though I think I had heard all of the songs before, it was still a beauty to hear the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot radio voice at the end of Poor Places leading into Reservations. It was quite touching to see them, Jeff especially, recognize Jay Bennett and sing a couple of his songs. I can't wait for the YHF reissue that will come out soon, as the B-sides and alternate takes from that era are really great, and they have done a great job with Being There and Summerteeth already. The only bummer is that for whatever reason they played a super short set the night I attended - basically YHF followed by a three song encore. They were back to a longer set the following night.

Say no more. I already had tickets for Big Thief's 5/10 show.

You are in for a treat. One other thing that surprised me is how much the crowd was into the older stuff. A singalong for Masterpiece is not something I'd have expected!

Thanks man. What an amazing time last night. A small venue full of people like me that knew every lyric. Hard to beat!

Yeah, that's the best feeling. When I saw Arlo Parks, I remember that being my favorite thing about the show, that I was surrounded by other fanatics.

Yeah, that's the best feeling. When I saw Arlo Parks, I remember that being my favorite thing about the show, that I was surrounded by other fanatics.

Right? My buddies that were with me who also really love them were like "Sweet, we're not crazy" :lol:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of earplugs?

I've always been the dorky friend wearing earplugs at concerts, and now I'm the dorky friend with tinnitus who needs to protect my hearing even better at concerts. I haven't been to a show since the ringing started, but I've got Pearl Jam coming up next month and want to be prepared.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good pair of earplugs?

I've always been the dorky friend wearing earplugs at concerts, and now I'm the dorky friend with tinnitus who needs to protect my hearing even better at concerts. I haven't been to a show since the ringing started, but I've got Pearl Jam coming up next month and want to be prepared.

https://www.earpeace.com/

Excited to hear this new Spiritualized after reading the review on THE FORK! Actually sounds better than the 7.8 they gave it.

$7 to download on Bandcamp, if you're actually interested in artists being paid and not an asshole who only uses Spotify.

I'll definitely check it out. I recently bought the new reissues of Ladies and Gentlemen... and have been very much into them.

Also, happy 25th anniversary to one of the very best albums of the 1990s, You Can Hear the Heart Beating as One.

Spirtualized is great. I am extremely happy. They've turned into a favorite of mine over the years, and I find their music very comforting when I'm going through a lot emotionally, which I currently am.

Saw Jack White in concert on Saturday and the highlight of the set for me was his cover of LOVE IS BLINDNESS. What a track. He makes minor tweaks to the lyrics - for example he spits out the wordier "Won't you take the night and wrap it all around me?" instead of "Won't you wrap the night around me?"...but it was a passionate and worthy tribute and a treat to hear. He also covered "I Wanna Be Your Dog" by the Stooges.

Jack's guitar playing is out of this world and his backing band (just a drummer, bassist, and keys) are all tight. But I honestly wish he'd played just a couple more White Stripes songs. I'd been following his setlists leading up to the show and he played fewer than usual on Saturday. I would have loved to hear Ball and Biscuit particularly. Oh well. I still got to hear Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground (maybe my favorite Stripes song), We're Going to Be Friends, Black Math, and Seven Nation Army. Ultimately great to see him. He looked good and is very much one of the biggest remaining rock stars in the game.

Also, the opener was Be Your Own Pet who just reunited after nearly 15 years and they fucking rocked. Love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom