Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Lance's Mom Thanksgiving.

Ain't just the turkey that's getting stuffed.

In other news, looks like Metallica are big Songs of Innocence fans:

Metallica Announce Huge Tour and New Album 72 Seasons, Share Video for New Song

72 seasons. The first 18 years of our lives that form our true or false selves. The concept that we were told ‘who we are’ by our parents. A possible pigeonholing around what kind of personality we are. I think the most interesting part of this is the continued study of those core beliefs and how it affects our perception of the world today. Much of our adult experience is reenactment or reaction to these childhood experiences. Prisoners of childhood or breaking free of those bondages we carry.

Metallica selling tickets to shows in summer of 2024 this week. Who the F knows what they are going to be doing that far out or wants to tie up a likely hefty sum of money for that long?

Metallica selling tickets to shows in summer of 2024 this week. Who the F knows what they are going to be doing that far out or wants to tie up a likely hefty sum of money for that long?

That sounds like something U2 would do. :wink:

By the way, RIP Irene Cara. What a Feeling: You didn't go into a sports arena after 1983 without hearing that on the PA. She made a goddamn movie about a stripper/welder almost tolerable thanks to that song.

Metallica fans who would go twice in a weekend to a pair of stadium shows, performed in the round, with distinct setlists. The band is throwing down the gauntlet here and I - much like Lance’s mom - have to admire the balls.

It's too bad that Architects are only supporting them on the European Tour. That would have been my preferred opening act.

I'll check them out. Need something new to listen to this morning.

This was me word for word this morning.

And I really dug it, which isn't a surprise because I thought their last album was one of its year's most creative. This one wasn't quite as weird and unplaceable, to me it sounded like if Tortoise started listening to Moodymann, which I knew I needed in my life and was just waiting for someone to do it.

Wanna Know is the one I added to my 2022 playlist. The climax on that one is overwhelming.

Sad about Christine, obviously Lindsay and Stevie got most of the glory over the years but if you stack up her contributions side by side she absolutely holds her own. Any solo artist would be stoked to have had her output. Hugely underrated and the creator of some of their best pure pop songs. I am very, very, very glad I got to see them a few years ago in their full, classic lineup. You could tell Stevie adored sharing the stage with her and Mick had some really lovely things to say about her. The 'glue', I think he called her at one point.

And I really dug it, which isn't a surprise because I thought their last album was one of its year's most creative. This one wasn't quite as weird and unplaceable, to me it sounded like if Tortoise started listening to Moodymann, which I knew I needed in my life and was just waiting for someone to do it.

Wanna Know is the one I added to my 2022 playlist. The climax on that one is overwhelming.

I'm very glad. Their last album was brilliant. Look forward to HG's review and iYup you should listen to.

Was it El Mel who was raving about these guys?

Flaming Swords -Fievel Is Glauque

8.1, sounds intriguing.

You post this but not a word about Christine? :huh:

I'm heartbroken over Christine and also want to talk about how excited I am about Fievel Is Glauque. The circle of life.

I put it on in the background while catching up on some work (and to drown out the English class next door). The genre was a little outside of what I usually listen to, but I enjoyed it. I found it noisy in a good way. The build-ups and fade outs were noteworthy, and despite being focused on my work, certain moments would pull me out of that and into the music, and I would think, "That's well done."

I'd like to hear it again and see if it's something I could get into on a regular basis. So my overall review is a positive one.

Last edited:
I saw Kendrick Lamar last night. I haven't fallen for Mr Morale & The Big Steppers, I think partly because of all the shit I've had going on this year, although I definitely like it more than DAMN (though nowhere near Butterfly and GKMC).

It was a really good show, although I was really tired so that brought it down for me. Bringing it down further was the crowd doing some real dumb shit. It started in the UK, but before I think it's Alright, a see-through box descends from the ceiling, and fans have started chanting "Kendrick's in a box, in a box, Kendrick's in a box" to the tune of Baby Give it Up by KC and the Sunshine Band. I saw a clip on Twitter and was like ok that's pretty funny but it has instantly become a meme and now not only does it seem to happen at every show, but people were excitedly talking about it before the show and for most of the show throughout. Just so lame. I cannot imagine this would happen in the US, where I imagine there's way more black people at the shows, whereas in the Anglo world, it's mostly white people, and so of course that tracks. (There'd be more black people at UK shows I would guess than Australian shows, but the Brits have also been doing soccer chants for decades, so it stems from that.)

The show itself was pretty great. The stage design and the dancers are brilliant, it's quite cool having Helen Mirren provide narration, Kendrick looks fucking awesome and commands the audience really well. The first third of the show was my favourite, I was losing steam after that and Kendrick does this really annoying thing that a lot of hip-hop artists seem to do, which is play like five songs in tiny snippets, which is quite unsatisfying.

My highlight was Backseat Freestyle, which almost sounded like it had live drums, which elevated it heaps, as well as some other music changes. Other great moments were outside of that first third were Purple Hearts, Die Hard, Money Trees, Father Time, Mirror and Mr Morale. I'm not big on Baby Keem, who has this high-pitched, uptight, nerdy voice that sounds a bit put-on that I don't love, which reminds me a bit of Childish Gambino's more annoying stuff, but he did three songs with Kendrick and it was a lot of fun and great to see the crowd's reaction.

Very funny. That was the other really annoying bit. He spent at least five minutes just standing on stage doing nothing. Throughout the concert. I've seen many concerts with shorter encore breaks than several of those moments last night.

Gee, it really sounds like I fucking hated it :lol:

Also, that lists Auntie Diaries, which is comfortably the best track on the record and one of the only ones he's not playing.

I only know the dude from James Blake's second-to-last album and I don't plan on listening to it, but this is a cool cover for Metro Boomin's new album.

metro-boomin-heroes-and-villains-cover

Very funny. That was the other really annoying bit. He spent at least five minutes just standing on stage doing nothing. Throughout the concert. I've seen many concerts with shorter encore breaks than several of those moments last night.

Gee, it really sounds like I fucking hated it :lol:

Also, that lists Auntie Diaries, which is comfortably the best track on the record and one of the only ones he's not playing.

I’m just listening to Soft Bulletin now and one of the only things that I can think of that has annoyed me as much live is Wayne Coyne’s incessant “cmon cmon cmon” hyping of the crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom