Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Debut solo album from Okkervil's frontman Will Sheff coming, I liked this post he put on their socials:

I’m so excited to announce that I have a new record coming out, and that it’s my first under my own name.

So much has changed in my life in the last few years. I left NYC after over a decade, and I drove across the country to California. I lost some people who were very close to me. I got sober. I got a dog. I weathered the last two years, like everybody. And I passed two decades fronting Okkervil River, a band I’d started with my high school friends.

These songs were written during these changes, & they were written not to impress but to express, to translate the depth of what I was experiencing into music. And they were written with friends - old friends, like Will Graefe & Benjamin Lazar Davis, and new ones like Christian Lee Hutson. Then they were recorded with more friends, old & new: Griffin Goldsmith & Zac Rae, John Congleton & Matt Linesch & Marshall Vore, Cassandra Jenkins & Eric D Johnson & Saundra Williams & Jonathan Meiburg, Cole Kamen-Green & Sarah K. Pedinotti. Larry even ended up on there.

Before long it was clear this wasn’t my high school band anymore. It was time to grow up, to take off the elaborate but constricting Okkervil River costume and become myself.

I’ve been thinking a lot about my changing feelings about rock & roll over the past 2 decades. I’ve been thinking a lot about what motivated me to start writing at the beginning – the good motivations and the motivations that lost their usefulness. I’ve been thinking about each move I’ve been proud of & the moves I would make differently. I’ve been thinking about how to live my life in the most genuine way I can. And a lot of that thinking is reflected in this album, though not always directly. But, really, the album isn’t about thinking so much as it’s about feeling.

So that’s what this is. And it’s called Nothing Special, though it’s the most special thing in my world right now. You can follow the link in comments to hear the new single “Estrangement Zone”, pre-order the album (with a jigsaw puzzle!), & check out dates where I’ll be taking these songs on the road with my friends. I can’t wait to see you.

Thank you everybody for whom the music meant something. You’re why I’m here.

Carly Rae has a record coming out too.

Debut solo album from Okkervil's frontman Will Sheff coming, I liked this post he put on their socials:

:up: Looking forward to this, and I love that he recorded with so many past Okkervil people, but I hope it doesn't mean that official Okkervil River output is done.

I'm seeing Local Natives on Thursday, The Shins on Saturday, and The National next Tuesday. The douchebaggiest of seats for all 3. Probably my best 1 week stretch of shows since I was in my 20's. Looking forward to it.

Last edited:
I've got Tyler tonight, pumped. Gang of Youths, Something for Kate, Stella Donnelly and a Neil Diamond tribute act also coming up this month.

LOL. I hope they sell them at the concessions in the upcoming tour. The Terror Twilight flavor sounds so good.

Really loved this cover by Annie:

LOL. I hope they sell them at the concessions in the upcoming tour.

Can't tell if Cobbler is trolling or actually failed to read the article, but with him it's hard to tell.

Unlike the various products that Wilco were shamelessly hawking, this isn't something Pavement has anything to do with on an official level. The headline is misleading in that Pavement isn't "set to unveil" anything, and the first lines of the article immediately refutes it with " Pavement will be honored with special album-themed pierogi at an event in Parma, Ohio. Local businesses Schnitz Ale Brewery, Rudy’s Strudel, and the Current Year Records and Tapes are joining forces for the ticketed event..."

Bob is appearing in person because he wanted to support some die-hard fans, and he's the most gregarious guy in the band.

I enjoy taking the piss out of you at any opportunity :sexywink:

Definitely not serious, it's fun, fine, cool, but it also doesn't remotely bother me what Wilco have done, hence me poking fun.

i only read the headline and thought it was an announcement that wilco's next album was going to be called Themed Pierogi.

I'm seeing Local Natives on Thursday, The Shins on Saturday, and The National next Tuesday. The douchebaggiest of seats for all 3. Probably my best 1 week stretch of shows since I was in my 20's. Looking forward to it.

This was honestly the most enjoyable week of concerts I've had in two decades, all 3 shows were fantastic and meaningful to me personally. So much of my music fandom and memories are tied to this forum and all of you, I was thinking of all of you and our great and no longer posting friends. I sincerely hope all of you are having a great summer, doing well, and rocking out.

I don’t have much lined up in terms of concerts, but very much looking forward to Los Campesinos! In two weeks (I’ll cherish every one of their shows like they could be the last). Also have Broken Social Scene and Pavement coming up, but that’s mostly it.

Mate, that's like five years old. I think it might have even been pre-GFIL.

They just did a new one too, of a quite good song that I'd forgotten about:

Seeing them tonight!

Mate, that's like five years old. I think it might have even been pre-GFIL.

They just did a new one too, of a quite good song that I'd forgotten about:

Seeing them tonight!
Love this song. It's one of the three Travis songs I loved back in the day. The other two were "Writing To Reach You" and "Sing".

Really feels like it's become pointless to bump artist-specific threads in here these days, so will just post in here haha.

Saw Gang of Youths last night. Now, they brought out a new record earlier this year. Unfortunately, due to the struggles I've had this year, I've barely listened to music all year (struggles best evidenced by the fact that Destroyer have had a new record out for months now and I still haven't listened to it nor have I picked up the vinyl) and GOY's new record has fallen by the wayside in that process. It's good, and employs some gorgeous Samoan influences across it, although not as good as Go Farther in Lightness.

They're big enough now - at least in Australia - that they've graduated to arenas. The times I've seen them previously they've played in theatres. This gig was my least favourite of the three or four shows of theirs I've seen, and Em agreed. This was partly due to the really poor sound - Dave's mic was buried miles beneath the mix. But to me it kinda felt like they haven't yet figured out how to do a really good arena show. There are things you can do with the setlist and stage production that help elevate the show. They played Let Me Down Easy really early in the set, and Dave kept stopping the start until the crowd went nuts, but I felt like they hadn't done enough yet to whip the crowd into a frenzy (and they were killing it with that song when they were playing it with a bit of the instrumental Le Symbolique lead-in from GFIL). A lot of the newer songs have an electronic bent to them, but again they kinda shot themselves in the foot by having Dave so low in the mix, so they only really hit when the crowd picked up on the parts of the songs they knew. I'd also have appreciated some more storytelling from Dave and the production about the new stuff, as it's a very personal record, and a bit more celebration of the Pasifika contributions would have been welcome. Some odd song choices too, Our Time is Short is about the last song from their catalogue that I'd wanna hear live.

A lot of great stuff too, though. Brothers was mesmerising, Deepest Sighs Frankest Shadows was fucking amazing with Gretta Ray (who's covered the song for Like a Version) playing a big role in the song. Seeing the extended band's chemistry was really beautiful. New songs like Tend the Garden, Unison, The Kingdom is Within You, In the Wake of Your Leave and Goal of the Century were excellent. Magnolia went absolutely off, one of the best songs written in the past decade by anyone. And Dave's stage presence is amazing. He's also really funny, swore like a sailor and had a great gag about being able to say 'cunt' because he's not performing in America :lol:

intedomine, if you see this, I am sure you saw this tour too, thoughts?

tourist, your track sounds great. Production is top-notch.

I immediately thought of One too. It's so interesting, the relationship we all have with it. The song that saved the band. The original recording is absolutely a career high point, and the original live version, with Hear Us Coming, and the versions inspired by it that have followed, are otherwordly. And then there's the Vertigo versions, that kinda crappy synth loop playing on repeat for an hour as Bono goes on and on, and then when they finally get into it, so incredibly underwhelming. Vertigo/360 I completely lost any love I had for One. And then it seemed back to life on JT30, and I love it all over again. I do think it speaks volumes that at that Ukraine subway gig, it was comfortably the best part.

It's incredible to me that Mr. Morale even exists, let alone that it came out when it did, at this point in my life. It sounds like Kendrick has been grappling with a lot of those thirty-something-with-a-family anxieties that I've been having and he turned them into a great album, one I've listened to more than any other this year. Mirror and Rich Spirit have been in constant rotation.

What turned it around for you? As I recall you didn't dig it at the start. Another record I've not listened to much.

Sending good vibes to you all - this place has been a comfort to me for years, and I always want this little group of us that keeps it alive to be happy or at least content. I know it's a punching bag for some, and you might think it's trite, but I do think some wisdom can be gleaned from the end of Stuck In A Moment:

and if the night runs over
and if the day won't last
and if your way should falter
along the stoney pass
it's just a moment
this time will pass

I thought of this song too. It's always been a 10/10 for me. Never want to hear it live again, but the studio version is great.

I missed this whole conversation last week, but Cobbler, please reach out if you want to talk. I would definitely be happy to lend support or an ear.

Thanks, Ashley.

Really feels like it's become pointless to bump artist-specific threads in here these days, so will just post in here haha.

Saw Gang of Youths last night. Now, they brought out a new record earlier this year. Unfortunately, due to the struggles I've had this year, I've barely listened to music all year (struggles best evidenced by the fact that Destroyer have had a new record out for months now and I still haven't listened to it nor have I picked up the vinyl) and GOY's new record has fallen by the wayside in that process. It's good, and employs some gorgeous Samoan influences across it, although not as good as Go Farther in Lightness.

They're big enough now - at least in Australia - that they've graduated to arenas. The times I've seen them previously they've played in theatres. This gig was my least favourite of the three or four shows of theirs I've seen, and Em agreed. This was partly due to the really poor sound - Dave's mic was buried miles beneath the mix. But to me it kinda felt like they haven't yet figured out how to do a really good arena show. There are things you can do with the setlist and stage production that help elevate the show. They played Let Me Down Easy really early in the set, and Dave kept stopping the start until the crowd went nuts, but I felt like they hadn't done enough yet to whip the crowd into a frenzy (and they were killing it with that song when they were playing it with a bit of the instrumental Le Symbolique lead-in from GFIL). A lot of the newer songs have an electronic bent to them, but again they kinda shot themselves in the foot by having Dave so low in the mix, so they only really hit when the crowd picked up on the parts of the songs they knew. I'd also have appreciated some more storytelling from Dave and the production about the new stuff, as it's a very personal record, and a bit more celebration of the Pasifika contributions would have been welcome. Some odd song choices too, Our Time is Short is about the last song from their catalogue that I'd wanna hear live.

A lot of great stuff too, though. Brothers was mesmerising, Deepest Sighs Frankest Shadows was fucking amazing with Gretta Ray (who's covered the song for Like a Version) playing a big role in the song. Seeing the extended band's chemistry was really beautiful. New songs like Tend the Garden, Unison, The Kingdom is Within You, In the Wake of Your Leave and Goal of the Century were excellent. Magnolia went absolutely off, one of the best songs written in the past decade by anyone. And Dave's stage presence is amazing. He's also really funny, swore like a sailor and had a great gag about being able to say 'cunt' because he's not performing in America :lol:

intedomine, if you see this, I am sure you saw this tour too, thoughts?

I went along on Night 2, and unlike your good self, I came into this as someone who has fallen immensely in love with Angel in Realtime, to the extent that I rate it far, far ahead of Go Farther in Lightness. It’s album of the year, for mine, and is such a tremendous accomplishment.

Go Farther in Lightness actually didn’t have much staying power with me. I rarely listen to in the full given it’s runtime, even though I do generally like it.

And this was actually my first time seeing GoY headline their own show (I’ve usually seen them at various festivals).

Same as you though, I felt that Dave’s vocals were still buried quite a bit on Night 2, at least early in the set, and really compromised Man Himself and Angel on 8th, and the absolute stunner that is Tend the Garden. But the set really got better as the night went on. Magnolia was mammoth, and Deepest Shadows. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that Kingdom is Within You debuted in time for the Australian tour, probably my fave song on the album. Thankfully the vocals felt balanced ok, and damn, Dave’s dancing is something to behold on tracks like these.

And Brothers is, as you said, mesmerising. That song makes me well up - the way Dave delivers it, on record or live, is something else. Apparently tonight was the fourth anniversary of his Dad’s passing, so I think he was feeling it a bit tonight. Choked up at the end of Goal of the Century.

His banter was unstoppable. “I met Tony Lockett… he’s a big cunt” perhaps the highlight, as well as getting score updates from the Everton match.

And I probably share the same criticism - what is so special about Angel in Realtime is the backstory (and the Pasifika emphasis) so would have loved more of the show to acknowledge that… but I guess it could put off those who only follow the hits on JJJ. But I can’t really complain about experiencing 11 songs from Angel in Realtime - I’m pretty happy. And the gig got better as the night wore on. Fair effort. The entire on stage ensemble is very likeable

Hope you’re doing ok though and things begin to turn in a positive direction for you Cobbler, despite this year’s struggles. ❤️ Things can get tricky hey, especially when it comes to relationships and the way they evolve

I miss how busy this community used to be - hope all are well.

I went along on Night 2, and unlike your good self, I came into this as someone who has fallen immensely in love with Angel in Realtime, to the extent that I rate it far, far ahead of Go Farther in Lightness. It’s album of the year, for mine, and is such a tremendous accomplishment.

Go Farther in Lightness actually didn’t have much staying power with me. I rarely listen to in the full given it’s runtime, even though I do generally like it.

And this was actually my first time seeing GoY headline their own show (I’ve usually seen them at various festivals).

Same as you though, I felt that Dave’s vocals were still buried quite a bit on Night 2, at least early in the set, and really compromised Man Himself and Angel on 8th, and the absolute stunner that is Tend the Garden. But the set really got better as the night went on. Magnolia was mammoth, and Deepest Shadows. I can’t tell you how thrilled I am that Kingdom is Within You debuted in time for the Australian tour, probably my fave song on the album. Thankfully the vocals felt balanced ok, and damn, Dave’s dancing is something to behold on tracks like these.

And Brothers is, as you said, mesmerising. That song makes me well up - the way Dave delivers it, on record or live, is something else. Apparently tonight was the fourth anniversary of his Dad’s passing, so I think he was feeling it a bit tonight. Choked up at the end of Goal of the Century.

His banter was unstoppable. “I met Tony Lockett… he’s a big cunt” perhaps the highlight, as well as getting score updates from the Everton match.

And I probably share the same criticism - what is so special about Angel in Realtime is the backstory (and the Pasifika emphasis) so would have loved more of the show to acknowledge that… but I guess it could put off those who only follow the hits on JJJ. But I can’t really complain about experiencing 11 songs from Angel in Realtime - I’m pretty happy. And the gig got better as the night wore on. Fair effort. The entire on stage ensemble is very likeable

Hope you’re doing ok though and things begin to turn in a positive direction for you Cobbler, despite this year’s struggles. ❤️ Things can get tricky hey, especially when it comes to relationships and the way they evolve

I miss how busy this community used to be - hope all are well.

What about it makes you like it so much? Glad it's resonating! And thanks mate - shoot me a DM with your Insta handle or FB profile, it'd be good to keep in touch with you.

The crowd was a bit shit on night one. Not sure if you were on the floor, but there were so many people around us talking during some of the new songs. I know this band have a lot of diehards but sadly I didn't seem to be near many of them, instead just near JJJ fans, which was disappointing.

I didn't even realise there'd been a 3. Worth it?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I did either! I'll have to check to if I ever scrobbled any of the tracks.

4 isn't as good as 1 & 2, but I enjoyed it and will likely listen to it again.

Saw Bauhaus last night at this medieval fortress in Berlin.

What a fucking show. Murphy doesn't have the same range but he still has the vocal prowess, and still very much a showman. I had heard great things about their recent Rose Bowl show at the Cruel Summer festival, and it lived up to that promise.

Murphy was wearing some kind of outfit that reminded me of that big bumpy jacket that Bono wore during the 360 tour encore, but he was also brandishing a cane that he was pointing with for effect. The other three guys were wearing sunglasses, true to form, Daniel Ash was really tearing it up.

5 songs were from In The Flat Field, 3 from Mask, and only 1 from each of the other albums. And they did 4 covers, including their well-worn Bowie and T-Rex covers, plus Iggy Pop and John Cale. For a band this storied, I wish they would have used some of these slots for their own material, especially in a relatively short (under 90 minute) show.

But despite those misgivings, just very powerful stuff.

That's cool Laz. What took you to Berlin? I've always been a Peter Murphy fan but have never taken the time to go back and listen to much Bauhaus. I guess I should do that.

I'm just traveling Europe with friends, and the day we arrived a local friend I have in Berlin mentioned that they were playing the next day. Was kind of surprised there were still tix available but it was a big open-air venue and general admission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom