Random Music Talk CXXX: The AFL Finally Gets Revenge on Meat Loaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It might be cliched, but IV is my favorite by a decent margin. Every damn track is a certifiable classic.

Also, RIP Vangelis. If you’ve never taken the time to listen to his catalog beyond Chariots Of Fire, do yourself a favor and listen to albums like Heaven And Hell, Opera Sauvage, Albedo 0.39, China, and Spiral.

And of course Blade Runner.

Also, RIP Vangelis. If you’ve never taken the time to listen to his catalog beyond Chariots Of Fire, do yourself a favor and listen to albums like Heaven And Hell, Opera Sauvage, Albedo 0.39, China, and Spiral.

And of course Blade Runner.

I'm a big fan of the 1492: Conquest of Paradise soundtrack.

John Frusciante said he was listening to this by The Cure when he came up with the guitar riff for Californication, and yeah you can totally hear it. He went on to say that Faith and Seventeen Seconds both influenced the sounds on that album.

Do you guys have potato cakes or dim sims?

My boy, we have both. And more.

EDIT: I went to check after I said that and sure enough, you lot call something else potato cakes there. But still, we have what you call potato cakes as well, they're more often found at fairs and stuff, though. Not as common as what we call potato cakes.

We would call them hash browns as well.

It's a MINOR scruple, but these are what I would call hash browns (patties):

5621034510_product.jpg

What Arby's had and I think of as potato cakes are slightly thicker. That's when I stop calling them hash browns, when it's more like stuffed full of potato and not just a bunch of potato stuck together.

Again, MINOR discrepancy and possibly just me.

These are potato cakes:

ae85d253fb705e6f134ad1bc80f07197.png

They are called different things in different parts of Australia though. The heathens north of Victoria call it a potato scallop.

Oh so it’s a battered and fried *slice* of potato? That’s what I think of when I think of a scalloped potato.

That’d be very different from a hash brown. Not to say the obvious, since for all I know there could be an actual scallop inside there covered with potatoes.

Now I've always considered scalloped potatoes as baked in a casserole. Similar to au gratin, just not as cheesy,

Never-Fail-Scalloped-Potatoes_EXPS_SDFM18_36985_D10_03_2b.jpg

Hash browns are shredded and fried, whether in a patty like Ashley posted above or less formed like at Denny's:

c87929ec2486a0b05e9a7bc4627dfeb3.jpg

And then we have potato pancakes (or latkes):

1382539571158.jpeg

None of which look exactly the same as Cobbler potato cakes.

None of my kids care much for potatoes unless they’re French fries from a restaurant. Even homemade French fries and they turn up their noses. They’re such weirdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom