Random Movie Talk IX: Insurrection? More Like Insur-SUCK-tion, Amirite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What else have you seen, if anything? I have Berlin Alexanderplatz on long-term loan from a friend but have only got through the first ep. I also downloaded his two-part sci-fi epic World on a Wire per Glenn Kenny's write-up, and I found a used copy of A Year of 13 Moons a while back. I'm going to be busy for a while with all this stuff.

The BRD films, Petra Von Kant (easily my favorite), 13 Moons, Merchant of Four Seasons, and I feel like something else too. Maybe. Berlin should be up next, when I find the time and opportunity. Perhaps after I finish The Wire I'll go for it.

Yes. But the version I got will only work on Region-Free players.

There's a U.S. release as well from Kino, but it doesn't have the same AMAZING packaging, or the same quality features.

cover_metropolis_blu-ray_kino.jpg

YAWN.

Damn, that sucks. The packaging is gorgeous. I've lately kept running into references to Metropolis here or there, and I've been dying to watch it again, but was waiting for the remaster to come out.

However...
I'd love that Metropolis set. The restoration is on netflix instant now though, so I'll stick to that for now.

...I did not realize the remaster was the version streaming in Netflix, so I've been wasting a lot of time, I see.

The BRD films, Petra Von Kant (easily my favorite), 13 Moons, Merchant of Four Seasons, and I feel like something else too. Maybe. Berlin should be up next, when I find the time and opportunity. Perhaps after I finish The Wire I'll go for it.

The Maria Braun disc has a commentary with Michael Ballhaus and Wim Wenders, which I'm very eager to hear. I have even more respect for the former than before, because his work on this film was really impressive.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul and Petra Von Kant were next on my list, heard both of those were pretty essential.

Ali, yeah. That was the other one. Not sure where it fits within my ranking, were I to make one, but they're all more or less essential.

Fassbinder's been hovering around the watchlist after I get through some Hitchcock, Jarmusch and Kurosawa. Ali, Petra Kant, World on the Wire and the BRD Trilogy being the ones I'd hit first.

Berlin Alexanderplatz looks exhausting. It's the same trouble I have in gathering the courage to watch all of Kobayashi's The Human Condition.

Fassbinder's been hovering around the watchlist after I get through some Hitchcock, Jarmusch and Kurosawa. Ali, Petra Kant, World on the Wire and the BRD Trilogy being the ones I'd hit first.

Berlin Alexanderplatz looks exhausting. It's the same trouble I have in gathering the courage to watch all of Kobayashi's The Human Condition.

The Human Condition is pretty digestible in three settings, each with a brief intermission during the part-breaks.

If that's the case, I might forge ahead on that during Winter Break.

Am I the only one that finds a rom-com starring Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal a bit odd given Brokeback Mountain?

But really, I know he's a divisive filmmaker, but undeniably an influential one and one greater scrutinized and respected by his peers and by the critical community. Also one of the most important figures in American independent film, which is something the bastard has been really interested in particular, so I fail to see how it should be a low priority for him, let alone for anybody serious about film art.

It's no secret I'm a huge fan of his of course - he makes works of extreme aesthetic sophistication and formal austerity, often impressionistic and minimal yet in tune to a greater cultural consciousness. He's not as essential a filmmaker as Hitchcock of Kurosawa [arguably, as I'd put Kurosawa pretty low among all the central Japanese filmmakers] in a historical context certainly, although personally I find him much more rewarding than either on strictly artistic merit. (and I'd place his acolyte Claire Denis leagues above even him, but that's a different discussion)

Daniel Day-Lewis to play President Lincoln in Steven Spielberg biopic | EW.com

Daniel-Day-Lewis-is-Lincoln_320.jpg

Daniel Day-Lewis to play President Lincoln in Steven Spielberg biopic
by Adam B. Vary
Finally! Steven Spielberg’s long-gestating biopic of President Abraham Lincoln has got a start date — and its star. Two-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis will play the man on the five dollar bill in Lincoln, based on Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin’s best-selling biography of Lincoln’s presidency, Team of Rivals. Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Tony Kushner (Angels in America) has penned the screenplay, which in a release DreamWorks said will likely focus on “the political collision of Lincoln and the powerful men of his cabinet on the road to abolition [of slavery] and the end of the Civil War.” The film is scheduled to begin filming in the fall of 2011, with an anticipated release in the fall of 2012. In August, Liam Neeson announced he’d dropped out of playing the iconic president in the project, which briefly threw the film’s future in doubt.

I didn't realize Neeson had dropped out, so that made me sad for about .5 seconds until I realized that this is even better.

D-Day's the only thing that has me interested in that project. Wait and see, I guess.

Anyone else get a notice today about Netflix upping their rates?

Friggin' rate increases.

I hate it. I'm considering dropping the Blu Ray option until their Blu catalog gets better.

Yeah, my rate for 3 Blu-Ray at a time went up $3, which means I'll probably lower it to 2, or maybe even 1, at a time. I didn't need 3 a time in the first place, but price raises always help you re-evaluate your plan.

Yeah, it's bullshit. The only silver lining is that my roommate's folks may get the Watch Instantly plan and he'll split my 2-at-a-time with me.

I hesitate to prejudge any historic Spielberg project
most times there is little nuance in his film making, only bias towards sympathies and emotion

Munich is my favorite historic film by him.

I don't know what he will do with Lincoln, but a retelling of the cherry picked parts of his life will contribute nothing worthwhile.

I would rather have seen him do John Brown, with DDL.

Amistad is a complete misfire.

Stephen Lang was born to play John Brown.

True Grit and Black Swan both look killer, but I'm taking I'm following my gut (and my general tastes) on this one.

Speaking of True Grit, maybe we might finally see Deakins get his award this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom