Random Movie Talk IX: Insurrection? More Like Insur-SUCK-tion, Amirite???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got Kobayaahi's Human Condition ($29 including taxes) and Fassbinder's BRD Trilogy (same price). I'm trying to resist, but I may still get the Louis Malle documentaries set.

What a sale... Hopefully the new B&N owners will keep it intact next year.

The Thin Red Line on Blu-Ray appears to be out of stock in most stores. Can still get it online, but not with the 25% off coupon.

Oh well.

Instead, I had to settle for:

000dd247.gif

DV1RS256cZlN47_1_l.jpg

:drool:

I was thinking about getting Nikkatsu Noir, but figured with the Oshima I paid my debt to Japanese cinema this time around and decided to indulge one of our other WWII enemies. As the only Fassbinder I've seen was the first episode of Berlin Alexanderplatz, I'm going into this fairly blind and hope it's worth the hype. Still, $32 for a set loaded with extras ain't too shappy. Not to mention The Red Shoes for $16.

Supposedly there is now a 25% online coupon that can be used:

Non-Members (Anyone can use)
To save an Extra 25% ONLINE, enter coupon code A3N4F3Y at checkout. The 25% discount will be applied to the highest-priced item in your cart. Pre-orders are not eligible with this offer. This coupon is valid from November 11, 2010 to November 14 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time.

Details

...and it can't be used with the Criterion sale.

For some reason, someone found that it does work with Despelchin's A Christmas Tale. Perhaps there are other Criterion titles, but one would have to try each one.

The sale ends that Sunday, I believe. Have any of you tried pre-ordering it in-store? I saw some guy's receipt where he was able to apply some of the coupons to it. It's worth giving it a shot.

Yeah I'm a little self-conscious about trying to pull some fast one with retailers and looking like some cheap...uhh...some cheap...guy.

nsw-2.jpg

Yeah, I think some people managed to buy with the "ship to home" option. I guess it depends a lot on each individual store. I had to insist to have my coupons accepted so I can't imagine they would allow me to do this. But using the 25% off coupon would have been cool.

Probably depends on which store you go to as well.

I was able to purchase The Thin Red Line on Blu Sunday and use the 25% coupon, even though they didn't have it in stock at the store. All I have to do is go and pick it up with my receipt when they call me.

Anyone else excited by White Material*, opening this weekend? Denis and Huppert? I'm in.

Racist

Probably wait for the blu-ray of that, but yes Denis is one of my five favorite filmmakers. So yes I'm excited. :D

So there have been a shit load of new trailers released since anyone's really been on here too much. Links are easy enough to find. So let's see. The Green Lantern was one I was actually anticipating, until the trailer at least. Man, that's some goofy-ass goofy shit. Seems faithful to the comics from what little I know, and I like Reynolds, but... yikes. Your Highness looks absolutely atrocious, and I'm generally a Green fan, especially Pineapple Express... but not a single joke in the trailer works for me, and on the whole just seems like an incredibly lazy approach to humor in the genre and setting. Portman in a bikini could sell the whole damn picture though Jane Eyre is nice-looking I suppose, and Fassbender is still the man. Haven't seen the director's debut film, though I heard decent things. Cowboys & Aliens looks... amusing? I don't even know what to make of it. So bizarre. And meh Iron Man guy who isn't important enough for me to learn the spelling of his name. Duncan Jones' Source Code looks instantly forgettable as well. Too bad. Also, I suppose there was a new (?) Tron Legacy trailer in front of Harry Potter. I'm having such a hard time giving two shits about the movie, but every shot of Olivia Wilde in that film is quite easily the sexiest thing ever to exist. I'm so there.

I knew you'd dismiss Source Code given your disdain for Moon, the screenplay was supposed to be something special so I hope that hasn't gotten buried, it isn't a studio project so hopefully there won't be too much tampering.

My distain for Moon doesn't really color my reaction to the Source Code trailer so much. I was still looking quite forward to it.

I still think it looks pretty interesting, and I assume it has more up its sleeve than the trailer shows... hopefully anyway, :shrug:.

So there have been a shit load of new trailers released since anyone's really been on here too much. Links are easy enough to find. So let's see. The Green Lantern was one I was actually anticipating, until the trailer at least. Man, that's some goofy-ass goofy shit. Seems faithful to the comics from what little I know, and I like Reynolds, but... yikes. Your Highness looks absolutely atrocious, and I'm generally a Green fan, especially Pineapple Express... but not a single joke in the trailer works for me, and on the whole just seems like an incredibly lazy approach to humor in the genre and setting. Portman in a bikini could sell the whole damn picture though Jane Eyre is nice-looking I suppose, and Fassbender is still the man. Haven't seen the director's debut film, though I heard decent things. Cowboys & Aliens looks... amusing? I don't even know what to make of it. So bizarre. And meh Iron Man guy who isn't important enough for me to learn the spelling of his name. Duncan Jones' Source Code looks instantly forgettable as well. Too bad. Also, I suppose there was a new (?) Tron Legacy trailer in front of Harry Potter. I'm having such a hard time giving two shits about the movie, but every shot of Olivia Wilde in that film is quite easily the sexiest thing ever to exist. I'm so there.

I think I agree with all of this, though I did laugh a couple times during the Your Highness trailer (Justin Theroux adding "motherfucker" after a pause caused one of them). Which isn't enough considering the people involved.

I'm still going to assume it's a lot better than that, but my expectations are def lowered.

In other news, I tried a few Barnes & Noble stores again today to find the TTRL Blu-Ray with no luck. So I just went through a special B&N discount link that takes 10% off your whole order. The Malick alone wasn't enough for free shipping so I also got one of those stripped-down Janus discs which Criterion distributes and are only $10 during the 50% off sale.

So essentially, to save $2, I wound up spending $10 more. But it got me this:

floatingweedsEAH5_FW_Box_348x490.jpg

And more Ozu is never a bad thing.

Like I said, I like Green enough, and enjoyed Pineapple Express far more than I ever expected, so it might still be all right. That's such a terrible trailer though.

I nearly picked up the The Only Son/There Was a Father double pack in the sale. Really would like an Ozu eclipse set as well.

I can vouch for the Late Ozu set. It's absolutely phenomenal. Not sure when I'll get around to the Silent set, and that's a bit of bias on my part. And did I mention I already watched the first film (The Marriage of Maria Braun) in the Fassbinder BRD box? Holy mother of god, I believe I'm now a big Fassbinder fan.

Also, my Metropolis Blu set from Masters of Cinema should be arriving next week. I think I'm going to post the picture again so I can drool over it some more:

61EZTmaB0ZL.jpg

Did I mention this was less than $25 even with the currency conversion, and free shipping? I wonder how they stay in business while charging less than half of what Criterion does for stuff...

Yes. But the version I got will only work on Region-Free players.

There's a U.S. release as well from Kino, but it doesn't have the same AMAZING packaging, or the same quality features.

cover_metropolis_blu-ray_kino.jpg

YAWN.

I'd love that Metropolis set. The restoration is on netflix instant now though, so I'll stick to that for now.

Maria Braun is a fantastic film. Glad to see you're a convert. I know Todd Haynes is a devout disciple of Fass, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom