Poll: Tell me what you think about MAC VS PC topic.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Despite the 'reality distortion field' surrounding the Mac brand and how easy it is to use, simple things like ejecting a disc stuck in the CD tray have puzzled me at times.

or...just turn your mac upside down and (if it is a portable mac) hit it softly in the battery bay, lol.

"but are beasts when it comes to repair and servicing."
I agree with almost everything you said, Liesje, but you as a computer technician you are, you should know that there are some rules to follow on the market, specially with macs. For example, all of this customers you are talking about are been silly at come to your service (even if you are an Apple Certified Service Provider) because Apple has something (in which I used to work for sometime) called Genius Bars and AppleCare. For example, this person with this keyboard problem didn't need to change its whole keyboard just for that or with you, BUT, Apple gives you the chance with AppleCare to exchange it for a whole brand new keyboard, which is for me even cooler. AppleCare can do anything and most of the times for free because every product sold by Apple has a 1 year guarantee and you can also extended that for even more time for a few bucks. What I think is that if you are a power user and again, want to be with the lastest tech, choose Apple, if not built your own PC with worst OS that Microsoft has done (XP or Vista, same crap with different view) counting their vulnerabilites. I'm sure any "PC gamer" will not bother of that, but well, my mac is where I have almost my whole daily life in, not just my games. Hope you get my idea and I'm sure I get yours :) nice talking btw...
-FCA

Last edited:
Canadiens1160 said:
On a slot-loading CD drive? :eyebrow: Don't you need to hit Apple Key + whatever + whatever while the computer is booting up?

Hold down the eject key (or I think hold down the mouse button). But yeah if that doesn't work, the whole damn thing has to be ripped apart :mad:

fca780 said:

"but are beasts when it comes to repair and servicing."
I agree with almost everything you said, Liesje, but you as a computer technician you are, you should know that there are some rules to follow on the market, specially with macs. For example, all of this customers you are talking about are been silly at come to your service (even if you are an Apple Certified Service Provider) because Apple has something (in which I used to work for sometime) called Genius Bars and AppleCare. For example, this person with this keyboard problem didn't need to change its whole keyboard just for that or with you, BUT, Apple gives you the chance with AppleCare to exchange it for a whole brand new keyboard, which is for me even cooler. AppleCare can do anything and most of the times for free because every product sold by Apple has a 1 year guarantee and you can also extended that for even more time for a few bucks. What I think is that if you are a power user and again, want to be with the lastest tech, choose Apple, if not built your own PC with worst OS that Microsoft has done (XP or Vista, same crap with different view) counting their vulnerabilites. I'm sure any "PC gamer" will not bother of that, but well, my mac is where I have almost my whole daily life in, not just my games. Hope you get my idea and I'm sure I get yours :) nice talking btw...
-FCA

FCA, our customers are not "silly" for coming to us for service because they are required to. Our department owns every computer on-campus. WE are the certified Apple and Dell technicians, lol. Why would computer technicians pay other people to perform the same services they are trained and paid to provide? :eyebrow: We have our own accounts with Apple and all the PC manufacturers we purchase in bulk.

Any computer, Mac or PC, comes with a one year warranty (and if you build your own, most of the parts do to). Also, any computer store, not just Apple, sells extended warranties and services for their electronics. Apple Care is no different than the three-year I got for my PC (with even better coverage).

Apple is not "the latest tech" just because it's Apple. Our users have very specific software applications they need to do research and projects in their professional fields. These programs are available for Mac and PCs, but don't come bundled with either OS. They're not getting doctorate degrees by tinkering around with iLife.

You can always use Linux if you're so obsessed with being "safe". It's probably the best OS available.

If you're a power-user, you should look into each piece of hardware and make sure you're getting the computer that best suites your needs, be it PC or Mac. I'm not going to agree that Macs are always the best default option, even though they are my personal favorite, b/c they're just not. No one should spend thousands on either platform just because another person likes this or that.

I bought a Mac laptop in '98 when I was first going away to school. the thing died on me 3 times (I still remember losing my first Psychology paper on that thing :madspit:), and I ended up getting rid of it and getting a PC instead (actually, 2 Dells since then). Well I've had problems with those too (and I hate Dell's customer service), so I'm on the fence because I've had bad experiences with both a Mac and a PC. I can use both platforms as I grew up using Macs and my mom still has one at home. I'd say I'm more accustomed to using a PC though (but if anyone has suggestions for a new computer which I desperately need, I'm all ears).

If you've had bad experiences w/ customer service, I recommend getting a computer from a local store so you can just take it to them for service instead of having to call in. I prefer to get my computers (Apple or PC) at CompUSA b/c then if something breaks and I need it replaced or repaired under warranty, I just bring it over to the store and speak with a real person who understands English :) I am a computer technician and even I refuse to deal with outsourced support. This is why I'll never get a Dell unless they make a Dell store. If you have an Apple store in your area, I would go there first and see if any Macs meet your needs and are within budget. If you want a PC, I like the techs at CompUSA b/c they are really knowledgeable but aren't pushy like Best Buy people (I CANNOT go there, they see a girl looking at computers and think I'm some kind of dumbass who doesn't know what RAM means). But that could just be our local CompUSA, maybe they're not all as helpful.

thanks for the tips. :) I'm not completely dumb about computers but I know I couldn't put one together myself. and I definitely don't like Best Buy when I've gone in there asking about computers. it's bad when I could tell them more about computers than they're supposed to be telling me! anyway, thanks I'll have to find a CompUSA around here. I just don't think the budget is there for a Mac. all the computers at work are HP, so I know I'd get a corporate discount, although I haven't done my research on HP. I need one basically for e-mail/internet, i-tunes/music files, pictures, ...just simple stuff. adequate memory, decent processor speed and I'm good to go.

I get a lot of shit b/c I work in IT and buy HPs. My parents have gone through two and I'm on my third. We/I have had only two major incidents - one of the family desktops had to be replaced because lightning struck close by and fried the computer via the phone line and another time, my desktop would only play DVDs in a pinkish tint. Both things were no fault of HP (we forgot to unplug the phone line, and I'd been tinkering with video codecs) and both times HP responded quickly (they gave us a brand new desktop, and in my case they responded to my e-mail within 1/2 hour and gave lots of suggestions). I just bought a new HP laptop and checked out hundreds of computers at half a dozens stores before deciding. I read all the reviews and the things people listed as "cons" didn't really matter to me (for example, HP laptops have crappier battery life, but I rarely run on battery and actually I played music through the car from my laptop from Chicago to home which is a 3.5 hour drive). I've noticed that the majority of the time, people give a bad review because their expectations don't really fit with the computer they got. For example, if you want a quiet laptop, don't get a lower-end Toshiba Satellite, if you want long battery life, don't get an HP, if you don't want to be pulling your hair out trying to get customer support or a repair, don't get Lenovo.

Both of my previous two HPs I've sold in better condition than when they were purchased and they quickly sold for more than what any technician would think they are really worth.

For the purposes you listed, pretty much any new computer is going to work fine, it will boil down to other hardware things like display size, what media ports are available and where on the computer they are located, battery life, fan noise, etc. Are you thinking of a laptop or desktop?

Liesje said:
I get a lot of shit b/c I work in IT and buy HPs. My parents have gone through two and I'm on my third. We/I have had only two major incidents - one of the family desktops had to be replaced because lightning struck close by and fried the computer via the phone line and another time, my desktop would only play DVDs in a pinkish tint. Both things were no fault of HP (we forgot to unplug the phone line, and I'd been tinkering with video codecs) and both times HP responded quickly (they gave us a brand new desktop, and in my case they responded to my e-mail within 1/2 hour and gave lots of suggestions). I just bought a new HP laptop and checked out hundreds of computers at half a dozens stores before deciding. I read all the reviews and the things people listed as "cons" didn't really matter to me (for example, HP laptops have crappier battery life, but I rarely run on battery and actually I played music through the car from my laptop from Chicago to home which is a 3.5 hour drive). I've noticed that the majority of the time, people give a bad review because their expectations don't really fit with the computer they got. For example, if you want a quiet laptop, don't get a lower-end Toshiba Satellite, if you want long battery life, don't get an HP, if you don't want to be pulling your hair out trying to get customer support or a repair, don't get Lenovo.

Both of my previous two HPs I've sold in better condition than when they were purchased and they quickly sold for more than what any technician would think they are really worth.

For the purposes you listed, pretty much any new computer is going to work fine, it will boil down to other hardware things like display size, what media ports are available and where on the computer they are located, battery life, fan noise, etc. Are you thinking of a laptop or desktop?

I would probably say a desktop since I wouldn't be the only one using it (although I do love the portability factor of a laptop). the HP I'm on right now has the mic and headphones port/2 usb on the front and that's pretty convenient. I like it since the whole unit is fairly small and sits flat as opposed to a "tower". I forgot...I would like a burner/dvd drive. and I would say a 17 inch screen would do just fine. my current monitor at home is old and one of the big dinosaur ones that takes up a good chunk of the desk, can't wait to get a flat one. :lol:

Yeah, pretty much any new desktop will suit your needs. You'll probably spend more time checking out monitor displays than the actual computer. With laptops, people get a lot more picky about media ports and where they are located (for example, I love my new HP b/c all the ports are on the side of the comp).

I was going to buy a Mac last week, but then we found out that Mrs RR's work (Real Estate) uses various programs that are not compatible with them. Sucks.

RedrocksU2 said:
I was going to buy a Mac last week, but then we found out that Mrs RR's work (Real Estate) uses various programs that are not compatible with them. Sucks.

Are you sure? 'Cause now Macs have gone to the dark side and can run Windows. At least that's what I've been told by the kids at the Mac store.

martha said:

Are you sure? 'Cause now Macs have gone to the dark side and can run Windows. At least that's what I've been told by the kids at the Mac store.

:yes: You can run a third party program called Parallels, or Apple's beta is called Boot Camp (which will be included with Leopard, and that's due out in Spring of this year). You have to partition a portion of your hard drive to boot from Windows, but it's certainly possible.

Here's a link to Boot Camp: http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

I personally don't have a use for that, but it's a good option that's out there :)

Last edited:
I wish I could run Windows on my work Mac, but we probably won't allow that since it will make way more work for us than what it's worth. I mainly use my PC only because most of our Novell programs that allow us to do things like access users' computers remotely, access account info to change passwords, run policies, network services, etc. are all PC-only. It pains me to have this Intel iMac sitting here to my left that I can't really use to do my job. :sigh:

Liesje said:
I wish I could run Windows on my work Mac, but we probably won't allow that since it will make way more work for us than what it's worth. I mainly use my PC only because most of our Novell programs that allow us to do things like access users' computers remotely, access account info to change passwords, run policies, network services, etc. are all PC-only. It pains me to have this Intel iMac sitting here to my left that I can't really use to do my job. :sigh:

:hmm: What's the point in your school buying an iMac, then not allowing you to use it to its full potential?

onebloodonelife said:

:hmm: What's the point in your school buying an iMac, then not allowing you to use it to its full potential?

Well, I work at the HelpDesk, so I personally get one of each computer, so when someone calls and says "My iMac won't....." I can help them. I'm talking about software that like half a dozen people in just the IT department even have access to, such as Novell ConsoleOne, DatatelUI, Novell Desktop Management, Novell ZENworks and application launcher, etc. Our faculty and staff have no business having these apps on their machines. The art, music, and most of CAS departments have Macs. All of the administrative departments use PCs (they also have very specific programs that only run on PC).

These are my compies.

On the left is my personal laptop, in the middle is my work Intel iMac, and on the right is my work GX620:

Work%20Pictures%20010.jpg

Liesje said:

Well, I work at the HelpDesk, so I personally get one of each computer, so when someone calls and says "My iMac won't....." I can help them. I'm talking about software that like half a dozen people in just the IT department even have access to, such as Novell ConsoleOne, DatatelUI, Novell Desktop Management, Novell ZENworks and application launcher, etc. Our faculty and staff have no business having these apps on their machines. The art, music, and most of CAS departments have Macs. All of the administrative departments use PCs (they also have very specific programs that only run on PC).

Ah, okay, that makes more sense.

Yeah, I just wish it could do the stuff I do all day, then I could get rid of the PC altogether. It's kind of annoying having to go back and forth all day.

The other problem we're running into is that the default file extensions for the new Office 2007 do not open on the current Mac Office, so anyone who also goes back and forth, or creates a presentation on a PC and has to run it on a Mac will be in trouble if they didn't know to change the file type (highly possible since many of our Smart classrooms use iMacs since they take up less space and less wiring).

Office 2007 is :drool: I couldn't really care less about Vista, but Office 2007 is a must-have. Anyone know if/when it'll be available for Macs?

^Office isn't due out for Macs until the second half of 2007 :sigh:, and it's being titled Office 2008 for some reason :shrug:

martha said:

Maybe like new car models come out early, but with the next year's number?

I dunno, I just thought it was weird because the Windows version of the same software is called 2007...:shrug:

Back
Top Bottom