Pauatahanui, New Zealand Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Night Cin! :wave:

Oh 5, sorry. 4.2 out of 10?? That's bloody ordinary. Of all the critical reviews I've read, it seems no one really likes it. It's too 'experimental' and out there for them. I happen to love it.

Rolling Stone and Q have been gushing over it.

Personally, I think it's one of U2's better albums.

Personally, I think it's one of U2's better albums.

I haven't really bothered much with it since the leak aftermath, just the odd listen to MOS, Fez and Unknown Caller. Haven't seen many of the performances, either. I'd probably put it in the top half, though.

I still think Magnificent is average, and I still don't like the fact they called a song "Magnificent".

It's what you learn after making coffees and photocopying all week :wink:

:lol:

Oh 5, sorry. 4.2 out of 10?? That's bloody ordinary. Of all the critical reviews I've read, it seems no one really likes it. It's too 'experimental' and out there for them. I happen to love it.

There's something I still can't put my finger on why I haven't loved this album straight up...Its growing on me though, thats for sure .I think I'm slowly coming out of my non-U2 coma :hmm:

I haven't really bothered much with it since the leak aftermath, just the odd listen to MOS, Fez and Unknown Caller. Haven't seen many of the performances, either. I'd probably put it in the top half, though.

I still think Magnificent is average.

I find myself mainly just listening to Fez, WAS, and Magnificent. Sometimes I play the whole album except Boots, since it's so consistent.

I still dig Magnificent. :tongue:

I actually still like the lead single on this album. I mean, you don't listen to it straight up as Track one (ie: Pop, ATYCLB and Hutdab) You get time to explorer the rest of the album for a while, then rock out to the lead single.

A LOT of people I've chatted to are not falling in love listen #1, it's taking them time. I don't know what it was with me, I just really dug it.

I still think Magnificent is average, and I still don't like the fact they called a song "Magnificent".

finally :love:

Unknown Caller is kind of shitting me a bit, just the "restart, reboot yourself, password" etc stuff.

Current NLOTH rankings:

Very Fine U2 Listening
1. Fez
2. WAS
3. Magnificent

Fine U2 Listening
4. Cedars
5. Unknown Caller
6. MOS
7. NLOTH (NLOTH II would probably be fifth)
8. Crazy Tonight
9. Breathe

Sort Of Fine U2 Listening
10. Comedy

Only Final Third Is Fine U2 Listening
11. Boots

Nothing happens in it that hasn't happened in other U2 songs.

I think this is kind of why I like it. It's exactly the U2 sound I dig, you know? Plus, the intro's really good, and I love the solo and ending.

OH THANK GOD.

I thought I was the only good guy that didn't like it. Seriously, I don't get the big deal. Nothing happens in it that hasn't happened in other U2 songs.

Exactly. It's a dud title, and to me the song gets killed straight up by the lines, 'magnificent...'

Just doesn't do much for me at all.

Exactly. It's a dud title, and to me the song gets killed straight up by the lines, 'magnificent...'

Just doesn't do much for me at all.

Imo it would've been better without the first vocals, the magnificent thingy.

But I do like the song a lot.

And as usual my opinion differs a lot from you guys, I actually really hate Fez, while I love Being Born. Cedars I really can't get myself to like, while my favourite track right now is Crazy Tonight.
I don't like MoS either, it drags on too much for me, but I can see why people like it. Unknown caller is a good tune, but the lyrics are pretty shitty. Stand Up sounds like an Aerosmith song, how can I not love it?
And White as Snow is just beautiful. That song is a gem.

I find myself mainly just listening to Fez, WAS, and Magnificent. Sometimes I play the whole album except Boots, since it's so consistent.

I still dig Magnificent. :tongue:

This is what I do most of the time. I keep the CD on repeat on the car, but I just don't listen to Boots. I can't figure out if it's because I got tired since it was the first single or whether the song is not good.

hey beg :wave:

Imo it would've been better without the first vocals, the magnificent thingy.

But I do like the song a lot.

And as usual my opinion differs a lot from you guys, I actually really hate Fez, while I love Being Born. Cedars I really can't get myself to like, while my favourite track right now is Crazy Tonight.
I don't like MoS either, it drags on too much for me, but I can see why people like it. Unknown caller is a good tune, but the lyrics are pretty shitty. Stand Up sounds like an Aerosmith song, how can I not love it?
And White as Snow is just beautiful. That song is a gem.

Oh when I say Fez, I'm referring to both. Another Crazy Tonight lover :love: Such an awesome hook.

c'mon ye people, stand up for your love :rockon:

Very Fine U2 Listening
1. No Line On The Horizon
1. Magnificent
1. Moment Of Surrender
1. Unknown Caller
1. Crazy Tonight
1. Get On Your Boots
1. Stand Up Comedy
1. FEZ
1. White As Snow
1. Breathe
1. Cedars of Lebanon

I'm still a bit unsure about Fez, but for me it functions a bit like EPAA in tuf. I still think this is the best-flowing album the 2 have ever done. respect.

:goeslookfortheWTAHANthread:

1. Fez-Being Born
2. Moment of Surrender
3. Magnificent
4. White As Snow
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. Breathe
7. Cedars of Lebanon
8. Unknown Caller
9. Crazy Tonight
10. Stand Up Comedy
11. Get On Your Boots

1-5 are all excellent, 6-8 are great, 9 is good, 10-11 are meh.

Also, NLOTH II deserves to be on that list as well.

The more I listen to it, the higher up this album goes on my 'U2 list of albums of all time'. It's hovering between #1 and #3 at the moment, which is kind of scary.

This is what I do most of the time. I keep the CD on repeat on the car, but I just don't listen to Boots. I can't figure out if it's because I got tired since it was the first single or whether the song is not good.

I don't outright dislike Boots, but it's only the final third that I really enjoy, and it feels so out of place after Crazy Tonight that I instinctively skip it anyway. Putting Breathe between the two helps.

hey beg :wave:

Oh when I say Fez, I'm referring to both. Another Crazy Tonight lover :love: Such an awesome hook.

c'mon ye people, stand up for your love :rockon:

I figured that much. But I really don't get why it's chucked onto BB. The transition is sorta weird and why recycle the bridge of Boots? Perhaps it would've been better off without it.

:hi5: CT makes me really happy! I am definately going to pick up the guitar again to learn this as soon as there is a tab. For the rest it's mostly the bass I want to learn, Adam is really trying new stuff. Magnificent has a nice bassline(sounds like Working on a Dream somehow) and NLOTH2 is absolutely godlike to me in terms of difficulty. I still wanna learn it tho.

Stand Up is gonna be great live. Huge singalong stadiumrocker!

I wonder what songs they'll play live and which not. I do really hope they'll try WAS with Bono on the piano, kinda like The Sweetest Thing on the Elevation tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom