Out Of Control - Chapter 26

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
**The following is a work of fiction. No offense intended to anyone, it’s all meant in good fun. Strong language, semi-adult themes

Chapter Twenty-six

“C’mon, Holly! You’ve done nothing but mope around the whole time you’ve been home.” Lisa complained, throwing open the door to Holly’s closet and poking around for an outfit.

“I don’t want to go out tonight, Lis. I won’t be any fun anyway, just go with the others.” Holly replied, sighing deeply and falling back onto the bed. She covered her face with a pillow and wondered if it was possible to suffocate herself. Apparently not, she realized, as at the first discomfort in her chest she flung the thing aside. She didn’t really want to die. She just wanted to be somewhere else. Somewhere quiet. Somewhere no one would bug her about ‘getting over’ her broken heart.

“It’s New Years eve and I am not going to let you bring in 1982 sitting alone in bed in a pair of ratty old pajamas, eating an entire box of chips ahoy all by yourself.” Lisa informed her without so much as glancing back over her shoulder.

“I won’t. I already ate them all.” Holly replied, laughing bitterly at herself.

“See! I know you better than you know yourself. I also know that once I get you all dressed up and out amongst other people you’ll start having fun again. You’ll have guys fighting over who gets to be the one to kiss you at midnight.” Lisa told her, pulling out a short, silver skirt and brilliant, shimmery blue silk shirt.

Holly closed her eyes when they started to burn at the thought. Adam would surely have someone to kiss at midnight. Someone, no doubt, who he would then spend the rest of the night with. Then she thought of Edge, who she was just as sure would not. A tear spilled for the pain she knew she had caused him, and she brushed it away quickly. There was nothing more she could do about it now. Lisa was right, it was time to move on.

“I still don’t understand what happened between you and Edge. He was such a nice boy.” Her mother said, following the girls around as they moved back and forth between the bedroom and the bathroom, trying on clothes and make-up, exchanging bracelets and belts. Then finally feathering their hair and spraying it with a thick mist from an aerosol can. The air in the room was thick enough to choke on.

“I told you mom, it just didn’t work out.” Holly sighed, applying a light blue eye shadow which matched her shirt perfectly. She could tell her mother wanted to say more, but held back because of Lisa’s presence. Holly had never been more grateful for her friendship before.

“Edge? I thought it was Adam.” Lisa said, his name cutting through her like a hot knife through butter.

“Adam? Is that it, Holly? There was someone else?” Her mother demanded, indignant at the thought that her daughter had cheated on such a ‘nice boy’.

“I dated Adam before Edge, Mother.” Holly explained curtly, flashing her friend a look of warning in the mirror. She finally slid on a pair of pixie boots to complete the outfit and stood to pose for their inspection.

“Perfect.” Lisa told her with a broad smile and two thumbs up. Her mother once again withheld her opinion.

“So where are you going?” She asked instead.

“Charlie Landen is throwing a big party.” Lisa replied. “I’m almost certain that’s where we’ll end up.” She added as she ushered Holly out the door and shut it firmly between her mother and themselves. “That’s all you need, your mother calling you to check up on you tonight.” She chuckled, wrapping a companionable arm around Holly’s waist.

It had been one of the most difficult trips Adam had ever taken, between customs taking special interest in him and the airline misplacing his baggage. Once he’d been allowed to leave the airport, with a bag that was slightly banged up but thankfully in one piece, he had a nightmare of a time trying to find his way from San Francisco north to Holly’s hometown.

The bus ride was cramped and uncomfortable, and the woman sitting beside him developed a deep and immediate fondness for his accent. It didn’t matter what he said, according to her, she would love to sit and just listen to him talk. She did indeed proceed to do her best to keep him talking, and he couldn’t help but think she would’ve been an ideal travel partner for Bono.

She wished him luck with his travels when they parted ways, and as he started walking Adam thought perhaps he should’ve asked her for a lift. It was much colder here in the northern reaches of California than he’d been prepared for. He found a sweater in his bag and slipped it on, putting his coat back on over it and zipping it up all the way to his chin. He swung the bag over his shoulder and jammed his hands into his pockets before plodding on toward the address Edge had given him for Holly’s parents.

By the time he reached the door, the darkness which surrounded him was broken only by the warmth of Christmas lights twinkling in windows and the occasional set of headlamps on a passing car. He was sure his nose and cheek were bright red from the cold and his blonde curls were a wild mess from the wind. He covered his mouth and nose with his cupped hands and blew into them, warming hands and nose at the same time, then ran a hand through his hair in an attempt to look more presentable.

There were lights on inside the house, as well as the Christmas lights outside, and Adam could hear the sounds of people moving around inside as he climbed the front step and rang the bell. His heart raced, and for a few moments, as he waited for an answer, he felt that this was the single most foolish idea in the history of mankind.

“Yes?” A man asked, opening the door only part way and peering out from a darkened hallway.

“Hello.” Adam greeted the man politely, not offering to shake his hand because the screen door was still shut tight between them. “I’m sorry to bother you. I’m looking for Holly Black.” He informed the man, wondering if he was even at the right place.

“She’s out. Don’t expect to see her again tonight.” The man finally replied. Adam felt his shoulders slump, all of the anxiety which had kept him going despite his fatigue drained from his body. It had all been for nothing.

“Is there any way… do you know where she is? Or maybe is there a phone number where I could call her?” Adam asked, glancing around at the residential neighborhood. It would be a long walk back to a hotel, and he was cold. He realized with mild alarm that he couldn’t feel his toes anymore.

“How do you know Holly?” The man asked, flicking a lightswitch and flooding the front step with a brittle yellow light. Adam blinked as his eyes adjusted and wondered what he must look like. A wanderer, a tramp of some sort. Certainly not someone a father would trust his daughter with. As his eyes focused Adam became quite certain of the fact that this was, indeed, Holly’s father. He had the same eyes.

“I’m sorry, how rude of me. My name is Adam Clayton, sir. I’m with U2. The band Holly was working with.” He introduced himself.

“Adam?” He asked, as if he’d heard the name before. Adam’s heart skipped a beat, wondering what Holly would’ve said about him. He wasn’t certain it would be good. At least not in the eyes of her father. Just when he was trying to think of what to say to break the uncomfortable silence, the door swung open.

“Come on in, you look cold. I think we can find a phone number for her.” Her father said, and Adam smiled in relief. Adam made polite conversation with Holly’s mother while her father searched for a phone number. He got the impression that she didn’t like him, and he wondered if he deserved it or not. To be fair there were plenty of reasons she might feel that way. What was most difficult was that he had no clue what she knew and what she didn’t. He watched the seconds tick by on the clock. He only had an hour until midnight.

The Rolling Stones ‘Start me up’ played through the speakers, winding through the crowd and setting them all swaying and dancing. The mood of the party was high, everyone laughing and dancing. Holly had hoped it would lighten her heavy heart but at nearly midnight, she still felt utterly out of place. Looking around at the people celebrating the arrival of a New Year only served to remind her that she had walked away. U2 was a part of her past, but not her future.

Bruce Springsteen’s unmistakable voice was the next to play, slowing the dancing down slightly in the moments before the clock would strike twelve. ’ Everybody's got a hungry heart; Everybody's got a hungry heart; Lay down your money and you play your part; Everybody's got a hungry heart…’
With a sigh, Holly decided to call it a night. She’d made a valiant effort at celebrating but now all she wanted was her pajama’s, her bed and a box of tissues.

Everybody needs a place to rest; Everybody wants to have a home; Don't make no difference what nobody says, Ain't nobody like to be alone… She chuckled bitterly at the words, surprised at the timeless wisdom in the words of the song. She pushed through the crowd of people dancing in the living room, hoping to be out the door before midnight.

“Holly!” She heard Lisa calling from behind her. She was tempted to pretend she hadn’t heard. Feeling guilty that she’d almost left without telling her friend goodbye, she turned to see her friend waving at her like a madwoman. Holly stood on her tiptoes and waved back, wondering what Lisa was so excited about. She was grinning like the Cheshire cat.

Then she saw him. Her heart stopped mid-beat, and everything in the room seemed to grind to a halt. It was like seeing someone from a dream suddenly as real as real could be and walking down the street. Her mind struggled to accept the sight of Adam, here where he had no reason to be. He was the last person she ever thought she would see right there, right then. But he was real. He was there.

“Adam?” She whispered, even though there was no way he could hear her across the room and over the music. She felt the sob of joy as it burst from her chest, though she still managed to hold on to the tears in her eyes somehow. She moved without thought, pushing through the people once more, this time moving back into the room, toward Adam.

Everyone was counting down, now, all wrapped up in the moment and paying no attention to the lovers trying to reach each other. They stepped between them, bumped into them and generally slowed them down in every way they could, it seemed.

“Four! Three! Two! One! Happy New Year!” the sound of the crowd was deafening, but it was all just background noise to Holly’s ears as she reached Adam. She wrapped her arms around his neck eagerly and felt his large hands against the small of her back as he pulled her to him. Their mouths met without a word exchanged between them, the hunger in their kiss saying more than any words ever could.

hungry heart was my first love of Bruce springsteen SG

cool to see it in the story:heart:

Last edited:
OMFG!!:drool:!!!!That was awesome SG!! Damn that Holly is one lucky dame...I would give my left lung to snog Adam on New Year's Day....*sings" I will be with you agin"*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom