Opening Acts 2010 - Lenny Kravitz, Interpol, The Fray and more

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Arcade Fire for Montreal & NY? They're Montreal-based with a large fanbase in NYC. (yes, I know they've opened before)

Lame. Didn't Interpol stop being relevant with everything since their debut? To me they did, beyond a couple passable singles they've been positively snooze-worthy. The Fray would be fun in a lesser-Snow Patrol kind of way, but I miss U2 helping to launch lesser known bands... I really wanted someone like Mute Math or Elbow.

You can bet the management is talking to Arcade Fire about Montreal, and probably something special just for NJ.

Lame. Didn't Interpol stop being relevant with everything since their debut? To me they did, beyond a couple passable singles they've been positively snooze-worthy. The Fray would be fun in a lesser-Snow Patrol kind of way, but I miss U2 helping to launch lesser known bands... I really wanted someone like Mute Math or Elbow.

You can bet the management is talking to Arcade Fire about Montreal, and probably something special just for NJ.

MuteMath would be great!

What about The National? New Album will be out in May and so far they´ve only announced a quite small tour (with probably more gigs coming in late summer/autumn). They are so damn good that they should get used playing stadiums...

The National are playing NY twice already though, including the week after NJ so I don't think they'd do NJ...maybe Europe.

BTW, could a mod tweak the thread title? It's Interpol, not Interpool. :laugh:

Then again, none of these acts approach stadium size in my mind.

Absolutely. This is why I say Jay-Z is the top pick, and more in line with past history of U2 mixing it up a bit.

Another top choice might not be so obvious but I think the crowd response would be significant as he regularly plays to wide-ranging audiences and is hugely popular with the 25+ age bracket:

Snoop Dogg

Yep, Snoop. His most recent single is probably one of the best songs of the year and gotta be the best re-use of a sample in recent history:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piohCa9rahQ

If Jamie Foxx showed up, even better.

Parents everywhere might object, though. :lol:

Absolutely. This is why I say Jay-Z is the top pick, and more in line with past history of U2 mixing it up a bit.

Another top choice might not be so obvious but I think the crowd response would be significant as he regularly plays to wide-ranging audiences and is hugely popular with the 25+ age bracket:

Snoop Dogg

Yep, Snoop. His most recent single is probably one of the best songs of the year and gotta be the best re-use of a sample in recent history

Parents everywhere might object, though. :lol:

I'm a SoCal girl and I'd LOVE to see Snoop! Lol! I was very jealous of everyone that got to see Kanye open on the vertigo tour. I've seen him live once at coachella and he puts on a great performance.

Lame. Didn't Interpol stop being relevant with everything since their debut? To me they did, beyond a couple passable singles they've been positively snooze-worthy.

Couldn't agree more. Boring. Keane was another one of them. Snow Patrol another. I'm afraid to say The National is another one. Positively yawn-worthy after 2 songs.

Silversun Pickups I would gladly see though. If for nothing else, to park my ass rock the fuck out in front of Nikki Moninger :drool: :heart:

The National require a certain kind of mood, but they are a lot of fun live, in a club.

I love Snow Patrol, excepting the album that made them famous, they've got great rhythms and Lightbody's earnest dorky/poetic lyrics, plus as an opening act they actually really engage the crowd, unlike Muse who just ignored the crowd and made their ears bleed by using U2's sound system (and this is coming from a fan).

I'd rather see The National, but as usual, we're all just talking about what bands we prefer. :)

Mmm, I dunno..this isn't opening for U2 in an arena, this is bigger than that...to open for U2 in a stadium of 60K+ people you need *IMO*:

- live band backing you that puts on a show
- good number of hits ie 15+years to draw on or be so sheer rock out awesome that us the old folks will like you
- "big" stadium sound
- draw ie get people into the venue before your last song
- be able to engage the crowd

So far the only opener they have that can fit those criteria is Lenny Kravitz

Jay-Z
Snoop
Silversun Pickups

Are miles away better choices by the criteria I listed imo

These other bands The National, The Fray, Interpol etc etc...they just don't measure up for a stadium opener for U2. Snoop and Jay-Z aren't even nearly my favorite rappers, but I can acknowledge that they'd be a better show in that environment than who I prefer in that genre.

Gabe let's make a deal. You get all the rap/hiphop acts over there and give us Snow Patrol, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Killers and the other bands mmmmkay? :D

U2's openers are usually up and coming bands, not established for more than 15 years (with the exception of special occasions like PJ).

Gabe let's make a deal. You get all the rap/hiphop acts over there and give us Snow Patrol, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon, Killers and the other bands mmmmkay? :D

That's kindof silly because none of those bands is going to open for U2 again. So out of the new crop/acts that haven't yet opened for U2, the acts I listed will be better received than the ones they picked or are being discussed here - I'd go so far as to say, even in Europe :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom