Opening act?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 could get whomever they want, but they lack the taste or vision to even know about the countless indie acts that would make a great opener...hence why we get crap like The Fray or Kings of Leon opening up for them. Interpol was at least a fine choice even if they were already a decade removed from their prime.

You shouldn't try so hard, you're transparent.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Interpol absolutely sucked and turned me, who was a fan, into pretty much a non fan. One of the worst opening acts I've ever seen. Maybe THE worst.

Why is that?
I really like Interpol, I thought it was great that they opened for U2 (they and Muse and Franz Ferdinand I would've paid to watch them on their own), but I didn't watch them perform...

...was it that bad? were they apathetic? is it just that their music is too "downer" for opening a concert?

30 Seconds to Mars for some dates, then Brandon Flowers supporting his second solo album
Another two that I'd gladly pay to watch them on their own.

The whole point of the opening act is that it's supposed to be bad so everyone goes wild when the main act finally come out. For this reason I think it should be black eyed peas again. That or Axl Rose.

The whole point of the opening act is that it's supposed to be bad so everyone goes wild when the main act finally come out. For this reason I think it should be black eyed peas again. That or Axl Rose.

Axl Rose would show up so late that he would be the closening act. :rimshot:

I've just read that 'Embrace' might be doing a US tour in 2015. Maybe that tour is opening for U2? I know Bono is a fan of the band.

TATE have a new album coming early next year. Their new single Wrong is quite a different sound for them. I'd love to see them again. Maybe opening west coast dates.

Why is that?
I really like Interpol, I thought it was great that they opened for U2 (they and Muse and Franz Ferdinand I would've paid to watch them on their own), but I didn't watch them perform...

...was it that bad? were they apathetic? is it just that their music is too "downer" for opening a concert?

Another two that I'd gladly pay to watch them on their own.

Apathetic is the understatement of the century. :D

They were SO boring that I sat down and fell asleep during their gig, and people were more entertained by me being asleep than watching the band. They kept taking pictures of me and asking my mates if I was okay. Yea, just tired and bored off me arse. There was zero variation between songs, it all sounded like one big song (I've heard them at 3 or 4 different U2 gigs), and there was zero crowd interaction. The band acted like we weren't even there. They got there, played their song, and got off stage.

The best opening acts ive seen is Band of Horses and Biffy Clyro when they opened for Foo Fighters in Stockholm 2011. It was really really good.

Or The Big 4 when Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer opened for Metallica :wink:

Snow Patrol were pretty good when they opened for U2, good but forgettable. Chasing Cars is a good song though.

How were kings of leon when they opened for U2? Wasn't that prior to them blowing up with Sex on fire and use somebody? I would love to see footage of that.

The response wasn't good when I saw them. The sound crew really screwed them over and it sounded like a bunch of howling. I was in douchebag seats that time too.

the sound wasn't great. i believe they made their sound guy sit on the stage, for whatever reason, which is a pretty terrible place for a sound guy to be in such a large venue. it was also their first time in a big venue, and they clearly weren't ready.

that said, i enjoyed the energy they provided... and it got me into them, pre-sex on fire blow up, which was okay by me.

Sometimes an underdog is a better opener than a super band. The exception last tour probably was Muse, only.

I enjoyed a lot more Kaiser Chiefs than Interpol, and I think Interpol have better music. But not for a opener... a band willing to open a show for a rock band like U2 must entertain!

Arctic Monkeys or KOL would be incredible openers!!:love: No one's going to upstage U2 so they should go for a big headliner! Snow Patrol in 09 were great

Sometimes an underdog is a better opener than a super band. The exception last tour probably was Muse, only.

I enjoyed a lot more Kaiser Chiefs than Interpol, and I think Interpol have better music. But not for a opener... a band willing to open a show for a rock band like U2 must entertain!
Elbow were good on the last tour, saw them open in London, shame about that dodgy sound in Wembley Stadium - the echo - spoilt every act including U2 themselves

Kaiser Chiefs were great, so where Snow Patrol and The Script! :) I'd love to see the Killers open for them one day.

The Killers would be awesome. But it would definately need to be stadiums for them to open and even then I doubt it. Plus they are on hiatus right now. Maybe Brandon Flowers solo? Someone else put him out there on this thread. He has a solo album coming out next year.

The Killers would be awesome. But it would definately need to be stadiums for them to open and even then I doubt it. Plus they are on hiatus right now. Maybe Brandon Flowers solo? Someone else put him out there on this thread. He has a solo album coming out next year.

The Killers are way to good to be an opener and they're on hiatus. So very very unlikely.
But yeah, Brandon Flowers solo tour...maybe. Would be pretty awesome.

Is it possible that we don't get opening bands? At MSG the 8:00 start time and 11:30 end time doesn't leave much room for an opener. I can't see U2 doing a set less than around 2:00 for a tour this important. I could see them going for 2.5 hours though.

Lol, have you been to a U2 show before?

U2 lasting 2,5 hours? Maybe in our dreams. :wink:

Opener 8.30-9, U2 on at 9.30 (well U2 time so make that 9.45), ending around 11ish.

Opener 8.30-9, U2 on at 9.30 (well U2 time so make that 9.45), ending around 11ish.

Wha? Have you been to a U2 show? 9:45 and then ending at 11? No way.

U2 went on at around 8:30 when I saw them in Seattle...there's no way they only played an hour and 15 minutes...

I'm not exactly timing the shows when I go to them, but I'd say that U2 play between 2 and 2.5 hours at the shows I've been to.

I liked kings of Leon's performance in 2005. I knew 2 of their songs (the bucket and Molly's chambers), but I didn't really get into then until sex in fire.

Snow patrol in 09 were great. I had seen them before in their own, good band.

Interpol were boring as fuck! And I like their albums !

I also saw Florence open for U2, and damn can that girl sing! I'm glad I saw her!

The worst was Damien Marley. I couldn't wait until that was over! Institute were also pretty bad, but Gavin did play a couple classic Bush songs, so they rate a but higher.

Back
Top Bottom