OK, Here is what I think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimjam

Acrobat
u2.com recently said that Jacknife Lee went into the studio with the band and the possibility of a 2006 album or another single were discussed on u2 boards. I think we're getting another "Wide Awake In America" with the tracklisting like this:

Original Of The Species (Live)
Miracle Drug (Live)
And two unreleased songs.

This is just a guess, it could be any songs from the album live.

miracle drug live? sorry, that makes no sense its not exactly massive live.
yahweh perhaps because its the accoustic version.. maybe even the new elevation if this does happen. but i dobut it

Bono in his recent interview with Dave Fanning(?) was quoted as suggesting that a new arrangement would be necessary to release OOTS as a single. I guess that what they were probably trying to do.

MTEdge said:
Bono in his recent interview with Dave Fanning(?) was quoted as suggesting that a new arrangement would be necessary to release OOTS as a single. I guess that what they were probably trying to do.

I think you are right on with this..........Although unlike songs from POP, I don't see how this one could be improved. Maybe add some more Piano?

Whatever they are doing it probably does have to do with the next single.

What MTEdge said, probably OOTS for the 3rd North American Leg.

Seems like they would lwant a stronger single in America between now and then. COBL has not gotten off the ground here.

Swan269 said:

I think you are right on with this..........Although unlike songs from POP, I don't see how this one could be improved. Maybe add some more Piano?

I dont know, the duration seems fine at 4 1/2 minutes.
Maybe they just want to strip off the chime melody a bit.
Just have a piano by itself accompanied by guitar in the verses??

Walk On single and album versions are different, and people here seem to like the single version better. I really hope if they do/did record OOTS, that it has more guitar on it like the live one from Amsterdam 3. :drool:

I like the Walk On album version better by a lot.
But I am in the minority of a lot of opinions on this board lately.

The Please single version was better, IMHO.

OOTS? Who knows. I think different production would only help.

I think miracle drug will be the next single.The new mix of the song will probably include the strings which are heard during the last chorus when the song is played live.

OOTS a potential single? I think Bono was observing that the song's structure makes it unsuitable for a single release. A remix won't help either - the basic problem is that it has an unusual song structure, and as such it won't get played on the radio. It is a great song though, and I for one wouldn't mind if it was remixed (the mix is horrible on the album). The next single will be Miracle Drug, if in fact there is another single released from Bomb.

I think that U2 is in the studio because they are preparing a new album. It is well documented that the band has more than enough material left over from HTDAAB, and I suspect that they are polishing these tracks up and possibly even recording a few new tunes right now while they're revved up. I know most people here think it'll be a long time before the next album comes out, but I am convinced the band is about to pull another Zooropa and put out a quick album. They know they aren't getting any younger, and Bomb's slowing sales in America have driven home the point that if they wait too long this time many casual fans might not even miss them. This is crucial in America, where Bomb sales have slowed considerably, and although total sales are high, much of the early sales can be attributed to the fact that Bomb was riding the momentum from its HUGE predecessor (ATYCLB).

PS The album 'Walk On' version kicks ass over the single version.

U2DMfan said:
I like the Walk On album version better by a lot.
But I am in the minority of a lot of opinions on this board lately.

The Please single version was better, IMHO.

OOTS? Who knows. I think different production would only help.

I tend to agree with this in that IMO almost everytime the band has rerecorded something it turns out better.....

They have changed the song structure before when they redid a single (If God Will Send His Angels).....

Wouldn't it be funny if it was "A Man and A Woman?"

:)

Wouldn't it kick arse if it was Love and Peace!

I truly believe, beyond my own personal opinions of the songs, that Love and Peace stands a far better chance of being popular/getting attention than either Miracle Drug or Original of the Species. Both of those will sink quicker than you can say "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own".

I would hope that they will wait until Nov/Dec to release Miracle Drug. It's a song that could ring true during the holidays. Most people aren't as cold hearted then as they are the rest of the year, and Miracle Drug needs an audience with :heart:

Miracle Drug shouldn't be released as a single at all. It will not succeed as a single.

LAPOE or OOTS should be next.

I would hope LAPOE.

Love And Peace should be the next single. If it's not, then it's a crime. Best song on the album.

Love and Peace simply because it's a slap across the face and it's quite a different sound to both what people at this stage would expect to hear from U2 and to what the previous singles sounded like. It will appeal to both U2's current market, and to a different market that yawn and ignore middle of the road stuff like Sometimes. The 'big single' singles have so far failed, so I think just forcing more of those out is pretty much a pointless exercise. The kind of person that would be sold on Miracle Drug was probably already sold on Sometimes and owns the album. Love and Peace would make a different type of person take notice. Back it up with a stunning clip, a GREAT clip, and I think you'd be surprised at how well it would do. If not the best, it's certainly the most exciting song on the album and certainly would have the strongest "What the fuck is this?!?" impact when it cuts through on radio. Miracle Drug would just be another U2 song.

I've been screaming LAPOE for a single release since Sometimes died.

Basically with LAPOE what you are doing is trying to recoup the people who to a point dug Vertigo - but didn't get across the line to buying the album.

The song would be fine its current format to be release but the most important part, which Earnie said, is to have an absolutely kick ass shock & awe video. They have the song matter to come up with something completely & utterly controversial or kick-ass, with most of the music video world probably dying to do a video with them - surely they must be able to come up with some video that will get LAPOE across the line on this one.

Also mentally I think a successful LAPOE plays more directly into the HTDAAB theme & title. Which is also a big plus.

Of the songs on the latest album LAPOE is one of the few that is perfomed exceptionally live, and I too believe it can become a successful single. Granted OOTS is a great song, U2 really need to try and get noticed on the radio, and the best way is to release an upbeat song that doesn't rememble the standard U2 sound that everyone is so used to hearing.

Earnie Shavers said:
Love and Peace simply because it's a slap across the face and it's quite a different sound to both what people at this stage would expect to hear from U2 and to what the previous singles sounded like. It will appeal to both U2's current market, and to a different market that yawn and ignore middle of the road stuff like Sometimes. The 'big single' singles have so far failed, so I think just forcing more of those out is pretty much a pointless exercise. The kind of person that would be sold on Miracle Drug was probably already sold on Sometimes and owns the album. Love and Peace would make a different type of person take notice. Back it up with a stunning clip, a GREAT clip, and I think you'd be surprised at how well it would do. If not the best, it's certainly the most exciting song on the album and certainly would have the strongest "What the fuck is this?!?" impact when it cuts through on radio. Miracle Drug would just be another U2 song.

Yes. LAPOE makes the most sense as the next single.

OOTS is an awesome song, but I don't see where it could make an impact (esp. in U.S.). It's not cut out for any particular radio format, and that makes me sad. :sad:

And btw, AMAAW is just dying to be released to the AOR format. If it goes unreleased, then chart success is definitely not U2's top priority.

Last edited:
Jeez people, I like the album version of Walk On better too, didn't need to yell at me, just telling what other people thought of it.

I would certainly hope after releasing 2 slower songs as single's w/ COBL and SYCMIOYO, that they would do LPOE as a 4th single, the Miracle Drug as the 5th.

Am I the only one here shocked by how poorly COBL did on the radio? :huh: It was my 2nd favorite song off of the Bomb. I still haven't heard it on the radio in my area yet. I only heard SYCMIOYO about 4 times and Vertigo about 8 though.

I never listen to the radio. I have no idea what my local stations are playing, but if the past is any indicator, none of the HTDAAB singles are being played (only Pride,SBS). That's one of the reasons I stopped listening to them. :madspit:

Love and Peace would probably be a good single. Although, the teenyboppers (damn kids :rant: ) might think Bono's copying the Black Eyed Peas with all of the "where is the love" stuff, when he actually seems to be making fun of all the lovey dovey notions. At least I hope so. I mean, no one could write a song called Love and Peace or Else (!) with such a funky bassline, and be completely earnest and serious about it. Could they?

Basically, none of the HTDAAB singles did jack squat in North America. Not even Vertigo, although I suppose the ipod commercial did a good job of selling the song and the album, at least initially. None of the songs on HTDAAB got any radio airplay to speak of.

starvinmarvin said:
Basically, none of the HTDAAB singles did jack squat in North America. Not even Vertigo, although I suppose the ipod commercial did a good job of selling the song and the album, at least initially. None of the songs on HTDAAB got any radio airplay to speak of.

yeah, I don't listen to radio much, but this is the impression I got too. Sometimes (the video) was initially on heavy rotation on MTV though, I think. My friend informed me of how annoying it was that they kept playing "that song where he's wearing the hoodie" (no worries though, her fav band is Fallout Boy) :no:

Anyway I think it's obvious that most of the people buying the album in the first week were the same people who bought the Joshua Tree in its first week. That's how the album saw massive sales initially, but still hasn't made much of a dent in Top 40 radio (which is aimed at those damned kids :rant: )

I don't care, the sooner they realise they're not winning over many teenyboppers, the better.:wink:

U2 knew they weren't going to have any radio hits in America.
It's only Bono talking the nonsense.

Love and Peace would be a great next single and would also fall on deaf ears here in America. It's apathy.

I make my bets in Love and Peace or Else as the next single. The idea of promotion described above is very cool and it's result.
But Original of the Species in an option too. I don't think the song needs a new mix. In fact, the song seems to be made for radio airplay and there it'd be succeded.
This releasement would be very near, and I could believe that a 5th worldwide single - probably All Because Of You - could be released. The song was built for radio and seems to be conceived to be a single. I wouldn't be surprised if it was announced as the next single...

MTEdge said:

What??? Maybe another chorus or two. What needs changing in that song? U2's thinking these days amazes me. Is it not catchy enough or something?

VertigoGal said:

yeah, I don't listen to radio much, but this is the impression I got too. Sometimes (the video) was initially on heavy rotation on MTV though, I think. My friend informed me of how annoying it was that they kept playing "that song where he's wearing the hoodie" (no worries though, her fav band is Fallout Boy) :no:

Ye the sometimes video was around I remember thinking whats on MTV, cool SYCMIOYO is on, then when it was over changed to another music channel and it was starting again, so brillant.

rjhbonovox said:

What??? Maybe another chorus or two. What needs changing in that song? U2's thinking these days amazes me. Is it not catchy enough or something?

I think they want to perform it live the same way that people hear it as a single. So they are just going to re-record the beginning and have more guitar throughout. Maybe change the string section??

Of course I am totally guessing. The song length is fine, it has plenty of 'catchy' bits, I see no other reasoning for messing with it.

Back
Top Bottom