Official listing of tracks from u2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jacobus said:
shame on U2 and their greedy management. this is just another shitty tracklist (like best of 2)...what the hell are they doing for the last 7 years?...is this still the same band that rocked the globe with a brave attitude...i doubt :down:

fully agree!

Fully agree with you both

Wow, I'm even more disappointed than I expected to be. It's not just the song selection, but the tracklisting that is so badly ordered and incoherent that a deaf babboon could probably do a better job. I don't believe this even serves its intended purpose for the casual fan. It's a substandard introduction to the band and it has no cohesiveness. Also, now sales will not only be divided between the past two Best Ofs and U218 Singles, but between U218 Singles and ATYCLB, because U218 has the four songs that are the main reasons for a casual fan to buy ATYCLB! What an awful marketing decision.

yes they have completly sold out, even though they pretty much had to do this to finish up there contract with island records and change to mercury.

bloody sell outs. even though you dont actually have to buy the thing there selling

Axver said:
Wow, I'm even more disappointed than I expected to be. It's not just the song selection, but the tracklisting that is so badly ordered and incoherent that a deaf babboon could probably do a better job. I don't believe this even serves its intended purpose for the casual fan. It's a substandard introduction to the band and it has no cohesiveness. Also, now sales will not only be divided between the past two Best Ofs and U218 Singles, but between U218 Singles and ATYCLB, because U218 has the four songs that are the main reasons for a casual fan to buy ATYCLB! What an awful marketing decision.

:rockon:

Why doesn't someone here set up a poll for a possible Interference compilation of another 18 songs for a second disc? Then within a week or two, collate the results, create artwork for it to match the U2:18 release and simply add it into your cd case when you buy it. Just an idea that many here wouldn't mind showing off to and introducing to U2 newcomers when they rock around to your place...

pmickey said:
:mad: Criminy people...everyone is SOOOO critical about this! Who cares if it has one song over another?

Agreed

I agree with every song on there, and although it does not include several of my favorites, it is their most popular line-up of "commercial singles."

Actually, if you measure most popular by chart success:

Elevation, Walk On, SBS, NYD, never charted in the US and should have been replaced by EBTTRT, HMTMKMKM, Discotheque & WGRYWH which were all Top 40 hits.

Sometimes and Stuck barely charted, coming in at like 99 and 97 respectively so they should have been replaced as well by SATS and Stay.

If you measure popularity by played live, then you'd for sure have to add the staples like:

UTEOTW, Bad & Bullet, replacing probably Sometimes, Stuck and Walk On.

They are not "screwing" the "real" fans. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!

Me too. I think people have it in their minds that it's an either or thing. Like, if U2 had decided not to release a best of, they would've released a full new studio album instead. Or that the work on the best of somehow delayed the studio album. Which is rediculous.

How the hell is "Stuck" on this thing? U2 have finally reached the "zenith of suckitude". :barf: x a million!!!

We already have TWO best ofs!!! Why the hell would we want another?? Stupid, stupid management.

BrownEyedBoy said:
How the hell is "Stuck" on this thing? U2 have finally reached the "zenith of suckitude". :barf: x a million!!!

We already have TWO best ofs!!! Why the hell would we want another?? Stupid, stupid management.

quite simple this is not aimed at you, WE ARE NOT THE TARGET MARKET, the deluxe edition is, but no one is forcing you to buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Shame on U2 for wanting to draw in new fans for their next album. Shame on them for providing their NEW record company w/ a release. Maybe they included "sucky" songs like Stuck or Sweetest Thing because the CASUAL listeners will recognize those songs. I doubt someone who is barely into U2 will be all "Sweet! They finally included Out of Control! I'm hooked!"

Ignoring all the complaints, this awesome band still prove their worthiness in live settings...who else can light up an arena like them? Or stay together for so long? Or have such unique song content? It's not like their hanging us all out to dry.

Correction: New Years Day DID chart in the US: At #53 in fact and spent 12 weeks in the Top 100. It was their first Hit Single in the US.

Stuck charted well in the US: It peaked at #52 and spent 20 weeks on the Top 100. It would have spent longer but for Billboard's rule that after 20 weeks a song is removed if it is lower than the top 50.

Both were reasonably successful hits in the US.

And of course Sunday Bloody Sunday didnt chart in the US. It wasnt released as a single there. But it did receive good airplay and peaked at #7 on the Mainstream Rock Tracks Chart. It was only released as a single in some countries.

04072511 said:
Correction: New Years Day DID chart in the US: At #53 in fact and spent 12 weeks in the Top 100. It was their first Hit Single in the US.

Stuck charted well in the US: It peaked at #52 and spent 20 weeks on the Top 100. It would have spent longer but for Billboard's rule that after 20 weeks a song is removed if it is lower than the top 50.

Both were reasonably successful hits in the US.

Stuck hit 52 on the hot 100? Huh, I'd only seen at as high as 97.

But still, even if they were reasonably successfull, Discotheque, Angel of Harlem, HMTMKMKM, EBTTRT & WGRYWH were just plain old successful and if we were going by popularity, they were the ones that should've been on there.

rjhbonovox said:
Another shitty compilation that screws the true fans.

please... for the love of jeebus... explain to me, using our lovely little thing known as common sense, how releasing a compilation CD of songs that are already recorded, which they won't be touring for because they already had makeup dates scheduled wether this was released or not, is screwing "true" fans? please... i would love to hear it.

and secondly, anyone ever stop and think that what the members of the band think are there "best" songs aren't what you think are there best songs?

Aardvark747 said:
When does this DVD of the videos come out then? On the same day?:confused:

Pretty sure it's the same day. I believe you can either buy just the CD or buy a CD/DVD combo, which has the album and 2 DVDS, one with the videos and the other with the (partial) Milan concert.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

please... for the love of jeebus... explain to me, using our lovely little thing known as common sense, how releasing a compilation CD of songs that are already recorded, which they won't be touring for because they already had makeup dates scheduled wether this was released or not, is screwing "true" fans? please... i would love to hear it.

and secondly, anyone ever stop and think that what the members of the band think are there "best" songs aren't what you think are there best songs?

If Bono had made the list we would have seen Please, Stay, and probably Original of the Species. This list REEKS of marketing department.....

Niceman said:

If Bono had made the list we would have seen Please, Stay, and probably Original of the Species. This list REEKS of marketing department.....

and you have daily conversations with bono to prove this point? oh, and he's the only one in the band? last i checked there were 4 other equal partners, including paul.

if all 4 members + paul all made their own track listings, i think it would be a pretty good bet that you'd get 5 completely different track listings.

then they take the ones who appeared on every list and toss 'em on, the ones who appeared on most, etc. etc. and then vote on the rest... who the hell knows.

Snowlock said:
Actually, if you measure most popular by chart success:

Elevation, Walk On, SBS, NYD, never charted in the US and should have been replaced by EBTTRT, HMTMKMKM, Discotheque & WGRYWH which were all Top 40 hits.

Agreed, but I also think this release is not just chart success. It appears it's based charts, Grammies (or awards), and concert favorites. When I look at the track-list, I actually see a mini-U2 concert there! It appears to be a CD of concert attendees favorite songs, which, by default, always skews newer. Hence why there may be more recent songs on the CD. I have more thoughts on this later (see below).

Sometimes and Stuck barely charted, coming in at like 99 and 97 respectively so they should have been replaced as well by SATS and Stay.

Actually, "Stuck" was a much bigger hit than #97. I forget the exact number myself, but it reached into the 50's on Billboard in the U.S., making it a bigger hit than "Stay", which only reached into the 60's. However, SATS reached #26. If there was a song from '93-'98 that should have been included, it should have been either "Hold Me..." (#16 on the charts) or SATS.

However, this once again brings me back to the mini-concert idea. Just like in a concert, the songs don't always flow. There'll be 2 or 3 songs that blend, then there's a shift. I see this with this album. There's a few songs that flow together, then suddenly the track-list takes an unexpected turn.

Additionally, "Stuck" seems to be a far bigger success in concert than SATS or "Stay". "Stay" is enjoyed in concert, but from all the concerts I attended (in the U.S. and Ireland) on the last tour, it seems everyone sings along with "Stuck". While this isn't one of my favorite U2 songs, it seems to be a crowd-pleaser. Likewise, everyone seemed to adore Bono's wailing in "Sometimes", making it another concert favorite. Sadly, "Hold Me" was only played on one tour, so it never really got a chance to be a huge concert favorite.

In other words, I'm really seeing this as a studio version of U2's recent concert favorites.

If you measure popularity by played live, then you'd for sure have to add the staples like:

UTEOTW, Bad & Bullet, replacing probably Sometimes, Stuck and Walk On.

This is where you also bring up the idea of concert-favorites. And I agree with you, "Until", "Bad" and maybe "Bullet" are preferred over "Sometimes" and "Stuck".

But this is where the Grammy and single factor kick in. Both "Sometimes" and "Stuck" were released as singles and won big Grammy awards, while none of the three songs you mentioned were singles or Grammy-winners.

Therefore, while the mini-concert theme dominates, when faced with a choice, U2 seemed to pick a single over an album favorite or a Grammy winner over a higher charting song.

Me too. I think people have it in their minds that it's an either or thing. Like, if U2 had decided not to release a best of, they would've released a full new studio album instead. Or that the work on the best of somehow delayed the studio album. Which is rediculous.

I actually wish U2 just released a mini-EP (toss on the two new tracks, some live material, maybe a favorite B-side, like - gasp - "Mercy") instead and made it a full charity release! This way, U2 could have had something new out, but it wouldn't have required any more work and these discussions of "sell out" wouldn't be occurring.

My guess is that U2 had to release this new "Best Of" for some contract reasons. Far better for U2 to release an unnecessary "Best Of" for contract reasons than to release several fast, but poor, albums (as others have done - Prince, Springsteen), to get out of a contract.

Headache in a Suitcase said:

and you have daily conversations with bono to prove this point? oh, and he's the only one in the band? last i checked there were 4 other equal partners, including paul.

if all 4 members + paul all made their own track listings, i think it would be a pretty good bet that you'd get 5 completely different track listings.

then they take the ones who appeared on every list and toss 'em on, the ones who appeared on most, etc. etc. and then vote on the rest... who the hell knows.

Hey, first of all ; thanks for the sarcasm!

Secondly, he said in a recent interview that he thought they were the best songs they had ever written. He also has said MANY times that considers Original the best song on The BOMB.

As he showed the last time they tried to play Walk On, he doesn't even come close to knowing the words anymore...so I'd put good money it isn't in his top 16 U2 songs....

trabantland said:
Why doesn't someone here set up a poll for a possible Interference compilation of another 18 songs for a second disc? Then within a week or two, collate the results, create artwork for it to match the U2:18 release and simply add it into your cd case when you buy it. Just an idea that many here wouldn't mind showing off to and introducing to U2 newcomers when they rock around to your place...

Trabantland has a good idea. Too bad u2.com didn't run a contest for fans to select the songs. Why not U230 to commemorate the anniversary? Missed opportunity.

Yes, 18 seems like a rather random number to choose. U230 with 15 tracks on 2 discs would have made more sense. But I guess they wanted a single disc compilation, which makes sense to some degree.

Lol, remember when Paul McGuinness said that U2 concerts would never become a "U2 greatest hits" concert?

Well, the concert didn't follow the album, but the album resembles the concert...

Niceman said:

I'll buy it for the new material and ALSO complain about what I think has been done sub-par. That's my right as a consumer.
usually consumers have enough common sense not to buy the sub-par product
especially when they know this beforehand

and if you look at this as a mere economic transaction where we are consumers and U2 producers placing something on the market then they have as much a right of trying to reach as many people as possible (which they definitely will by reaching people who will buy it because their most well known songs are on it and you will also buy it even though you already know you won't like it) as you have to complain about it
and it seems U2 are going to get more out of it than you
so they must be doing something right!

wtf is up with Atyclb having most singles?

why is the front cover picture of an early u2, yet, there are no songs from boy or october??
They might as well have slapped atycl'sb cover on it

^No kidding.

They could have put my least favorite songs on there (Heartland, Red Light, Stay, THBAO, Ultraviolet) and I'd still be at Best Buy when it opens.

I'm slightly confused. If the content was not up to scratch, then peoples complaints might have some merit but all the songs are quality. If the track list doesn't contain your favourites, venture into your CD/Mp3 collection and burn your own version.

The whole "it should have this song, not that one" banter is missing the point that there are OTHER U2 fans out there who've never even heard Pop or Boy. Who should U2 cater for? The hardcore fan who by and large have all their commercially released material or casual fans who just want their greatest hits? Besides that what one person considers a best of, another person balks at.

Maybe I'm missing something but I've yet to see one valid reason against this best of...

am22884 said:
I'm slightly confused. If the content was not up to scratch, then peoples complaints might have some merit but all the songs are quality. If the track list doesn't contain your favourites, venture into your CD/Mp3 collection and burn your own version.

The whole "it should have this song, not that one" banter is missing the point that there are OTHER U2 fans out there who've never even heard Pop or Boy. Who should U2 cater for? The hardcore fan who by and large have all their commercially released material or casual fans who just want their greatest hits? Besides that what one person considers a best of, another person balks at.

Maybe I'm missing something but I've yet to see one valid reason against this best of...
I agree with you, but most casual (and I mean very casual) U2 fans I know despise 'Elevation', yet adore 'Angel of Harlem' and 'All I Want Is You'...and even'Stay'. 'Sometimes' and 'Stuck' on the other hand don't really register on their radars, at least not as much as the afformentioned songs. And I can see why. The other three songs I mentioned are much stronger, were huge hits in their day, and (in my experience) appeal more to the "other" U2 fans out there who have never heard Pop or Boy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom