Of the two so-called "weak" U2 albums, which is better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
The general public (and even a few of the fans) seems to feel that Zooropa and Pop were U2's weakest efforts, or weirdest, or most damaging to their careers, or whatever. You know what I mean.

Most of us die-hard fans love these albums anyway, but I'm just wondering which you like better and why?

For me, definately Zooropa because it is the perfect soundtrack to the ZooTV tour, U2's best tour ever.

[This message has been edited by Zoocoustic (edited 12-05-2001).]

I would have to say Zooropa.. but to be honest, I've only heard it called "experimental" and not "weak."

POP by far! Reasons:

Much deeper lyrics, better melodies, amazing live songs, and a very dark revealing album that challenges the mind of the listener. It's such a good album. I don't like Zooropa, it feels forced. But POP, it's beautiful stuff.

------------------
"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, live like there is no tomorrow, dance like no one is watching." --Bono

"The only limits are the limits of our imagination. Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud. At high VOLUME".

i love pop. i think's it absolutely amazing! specifically please. that is one of my all time favorite u2 songs.

1. Zooropa
2. Zooropa
3. Zooropa
4. Zooropa
5. Zooropa
6. POP
7. Zooropa
8. Zooropa
9. Zooropa
10. Zooropa

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I don't believe Zooropa has really been labeled as a weak record. The three so-called "Weak" albums are October, R&H, and Pop.

Zooropa is my second favorite album ever.

Johnny Swallow said it perfectly.

October and R&H are the two weak albums, well weak for U2 which is still better than 95% of what's out there. POP is incredible, tied for my third favorite with ATYCLB. People who say it was "un-U2", "strange", "techno", etc... are out of their mind and brainwashed by the fickle media. You know how right now all the reviews of the Elevation concerts are exactly alike. Well that's what happened with the reviews of POP and POPMART. Journalist are too weak to stand up and defy the popular opinion, so they carbon copy what has been said prior.

POP's lyrics are so incredible, the music plays like a U2 best of. A mix of the best straight ahead rock, mixed with some new beats that were heard on Achtung and Zooropa.

POP definitely beats Zooropa for me, but Rattle and Hum (in my opinion the most un-U2 album) and October (the lowest quality record) are my 2 least favorite albums.

[This message has been edited by womanfish (edited 12-05-2001).]

If I'm not mistaken, I think Zooropa won a grammy.

Anyway, both Zooropa and Pop are great albums, IMHO.

Originally posted by muh2o:
There is no such thing as a weak U2 album.

Heretic!

Edge says he doesn't feel they have made a crap album! I tend to agree with Edge!
biggrin.gif

There's certain albums I rarely listen to like, "OCTOBER" but I still think there's somethig special in all of them!
tongue.gif

Back to the original Q, I chose POP! But I love Zooropa.... just not as much as POP!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Love, slowly stripped away
Love has seen its better day...

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I'd have to say POP because lyrically it is one of U2's strongest albums and because Adam's bass work on the album kicks arse!
smile.gif

Most definately Zooropa is better. It's my favorite U2 album. POP is also awesome, probably my 3rd or 4th favorite. But Zooropa just takes you somewhere else when you listen to it. I agree with the rest of you that stated October and R&H are the weakest albums. I find Zooropa and POP to be 2 of their strongest. Either way, Zooropa is just amazing.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

I would agree that Zooropa and Pop are the weakest. I like Pop better. It has a few songs which are just about my least favourite U2 songs ever, and a few more I don't think much of, but it has several I genuinely like. Zooropa has two, maybe three I genuinely like.

------------------
One day we'd reach the great ocean
At the end of a pale afternoon
And we'd lay down our heads just like we were sleeping
And be towed by the drag of the moon

-Sting

I am offended byu the whole "weak album" concept because Pop and Zoorpa are both in my top 5 U2 albums. I like Zooropa better, but Pop rocks the house too.
Don't hate the albums, hate the game.

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose.
http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

Originally posted by notiti:
I am offended byu the whole "weak album" concept because Pop and Zoorpa are both in my top 5 U2 albums. I like Zooropa better, but Pop rocks the house too.
Don't hate the albums, hate the game.

Would you be offended if we were talking about October as a weak album?

I'm not trying to be antagonistic (though it probably sounds that way) I'm just curious.

------------------

-Sting

I tend to agree with the idea that U2 has never made a truly weak album. Maybe a couple of misguided ones, but not the two in question by any means. Zooropa is just pure brilliance. What other band could pump out something that unique in 3 months in the middle of a tour? And as an album as a whole, I think the only U2 albums that overtake POP are ATYCLB and Achtung Baby. POP is criminally underrated. It has layers, in every sense of the word. It takes you on an emotional roller coaster ride, each song pulling you in a totally different direction.

BTW, I would have to say Rattle and Hum is the least focused of all of U2's albums, but not necessarily weak.

Originally posted by womanfish:
People who say it was "un-U2", "strange", "techno", etc... are out of their mind and brainwashed by the fickle media.

I've been a U2 fan since I was 14, I'm now 25. I have all of their albums, been to all of their concerts since Zoo TV inside broadcast, I base my life on most of their songs. Basically U2 is my life after my family. But according to you, I'm out of my mind and brainwashed because I don't enjoy POP.

Let me ask you something misses Womanfish. If POP would have been written by Henry Rollins, would you still consider it an Amazing album. If U2 would have written an Album with different types Farm noices, would you still concider that an amazing album. Can U2 do no wrong for you?

I enjoy WAR, JT, AB, ATYCLB and UF. But because I don't enjoy POP, that means i'm insane and easily manipulated by the media? Hmmm. You must have a Masters in psychology cause you just made sense of my life.

You're the epitome of people who put POP on such a high pedestal. Whatever U2 touch, it turns Gold. And U2 fans who don't enjoy everything that U2 has made, must be insane and aren't real Fans.

pathetic.

By the way, I enjoy POP more than Zooropa. POPO has 4 great songs. Gone, Starin', Please and LNOE. Zooropa Only has Dirty Day and Zooropa.

That's my opinion.

Originally posted by womanfish:
People who say it was "un-U2", "strange", "techno", etc... are out of their mind and brainwashed by the fickle media.

That was an incredibly annoying thing to say. La la la...I'm out of my mind. Actually, I wouldn't necessarily make the above remarks about Pop, but I would say I don't like it very much. No doubt that would put me squarely into the "out of their mind" category too.

How about this? I've just made a new rule. Everyone who calls October a weak album is out of their mind. Why not? It's just as beautifully arbitrary.

------------------

-Sting

I guess there are 2 sets of "weakest" albums ...

When I read the title I thought of October and Rattle and Hum.

I guess I belong to the group of fans who like the 90's U2. Zooropa was my fist U2 album and I really liked PoP when it came out, and I still do (maybe a bit more than zooropa).

.kevM - Vote U2
------------
icon18.gif
icon19.gif
icon17.gif
icon20.gif

ZOoRopa-POP , two great cd's , i like them , i enjoy them , , i like what i like , the goal is soul , the goal is elevation tour 2001 ..

Originally posted by kariatari:
I'd have to say POP because lyrically it is one of U2's strongest albums
smile.gif

I must disagree - it is lyrically their worst effort, even Bono agreed that he felt his lyrics were unfinished...

"Looking for baby Jesus under the Trash?"
"Jesus' sister eyes are a blister"

C'mon - this is not the Bono we all love
smile.gif

Originally posted by Thermopylae:

"Looking for baby Jesus under the Trash?"
"Jesus' sister eyes are a blister"

C'mon - this is not the Bono we all love
smile.gif

Thank you.

But actually, I do think the lyrics for Gone are really, really good. Please is good too, at least some of it is very good. I like the music for IGWSHA, but not the lyrics.

Ah, I really have to stay out of these threads.

------------------

-Sting

I can't even listen to Zooropa and POP has a few of my favorite U2 songs(eg. Gone, If God Will Send His Angels and MOFO)... So POP hands down.

Back
Top Bottom