Nobel Prize announcements! (BONO)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think he deserves it, but I don't think he'll get it

I don't think the idea of him getting it is preposterious at all....he does great things

Even Bono realizes he won't win the award (Conan O'Brien) but he's honored for being nominatted and I'm pretty sure that's good enough for him

love_u2_adam said:
pshhh even though i love bono......i don't think he should get it....:shrug:

its preposterous:shrug:

The man is more effective than any politician. He has proven that.
Fighting poverty is in my opinion the same as fighting for world peace because it gets to the root of the problem. And to say that he hasn't been a huge contributor and we haven't made a difference by joining the ONE campaign because of his inspiration, I don't see how that is "preposterous". :scratch:

October 13, friday

the day I'm in a friggin' 23 hour bus ride to Italy!!! >< Argh, I won't know it till at least a day after!

sue4u2 said:

Why??
(open to anyone)

just curious - what your thoughts are.

he's a rock star........i don't like him being a politician....i love what he's doing for Africa but i don't like the lyrics it produces..i don't know:shrug:

there are people who are real politicians and they should win...not a rock star.....

sorry bono love....i still love ya though:heart:

yes its preposterous!!!

Someone like Agnes, the TASO nurse from Uganda, who Bono often says is the "real hero" should win. Bono opened my eyes, but it was Agnes that really touched my heart, if I may speak in cliches.

I want to see someone who's really sacrificed, someone who "works the trenches", win this thing.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Someone like Agnes, the TASO nurse from Uganda, who Bono often says is the "real hero" should win. Bono opened my eyes, but it was Agnes that really touched my heart, if I may speak in cliches.

I want to see someone who's really sacrificed, someone who "works the trenches", win this thing.

Me too! :up:

starsgoblue said:
Not all trenches are literal ones.

I realize this and I do think Bono is completely deserving, I just think that in general, it would be really cool to see someone that no one's really heard of win for once, just to prove that you CAN make a difference without being a millionaire politician or businessman turned scientist/activist/whatever. You shouldn't have to be a household name in 2/3 of the world in order to be considered.

LyricalDrug said:
A UC Berkeley prof won the Nobel this week for physics -- wooo hoooo!!!!! (I went to Berkeley :) )

This is our school's 20th Nobel Prize, and 8th in physics. We rule....

:wink:

Thats cool. My wife is a psycisist(sp?) at University of Colorado who currently have 3 nobel winners working in her department now. One got it last year:wink:

Bono's shades said:
I'd rather someone who isn't already famous gets it. There's lots of people all over the world who do amazing things to help humanity who never get any recognition.

I don't need Bono to win the Nobel Prize to know what he's doing is worthwhile. And it's not like it's going to convince any doubters. It's more likely to cause a big backlash.

Good point, especially the backlash part. I think it would almost open the door to some people ridiculing him even more ( pope complex, jesus complex, megalomania etc...) . He doesn't need it, and I honestly get the impression he doesn't want it either.

I can just hear the late night shows going on and on about that one........... "Did you hear that Bono from U2 won the Nobel peace price, ......:blahblah:" I would hate that they would trivialize his work.

No thanks. I'd rather have him in the background more. As much as I love Bono and his work, lately he seems overexposed.

You guys are right! I don't think he should win. The parodies would be too painful to take. Not to mention all the unsung heroes out there that never get any media or accoldades.
It would be Bono overload, he doesn't need it and it is an honor to be nominated in this case!
I bet he feels the same also. But I know past winner Mother Thersa is looking down on him and smiling at all his good works to help the poor, much like she did but in no way close to what she did. She was amazing.

Doesn't really matter in my book. It seems to me like they like to give the award to people who don't deserve it anyways.

I'd also like to add that probably hardly anyone besides U2 fans would say he deserves it.

The Nobel Peace Prize is the most prestigious award in the entire world. Of course it would be great if Bono won it! Who cares if people teased him about it?! His work speaks for itself.

Ever since the award was given to the woman who said that the west invented AIDS to control Africa I've taken the awards much less seriously.

shart1780 said:

I'd also like to add that probably hardly anyone besides U2 fans would say he deserves it.

With all due respect... That's bullshit.. :eyebrow:
The fans have nothing to do with it. The people who nominate anyone for the Nobel Peace Prize are people of considerable knowledge , position and respect.
You should look at the criteria for even being nominated.

There is only a select number of people that actually have the capability/certification to even nominate someone for a Nobel Peace Prize.

and last year he made the short list, which is even harder to achieve.:up:

sue4u2 said:

With all due respect... That's bullshit.. :eyebrow:
The fans have nothing to do with it. The people who nominate anyone for the Nobel Peace Prize are people of considerable knowledge , position and respect.
You should look at the criteria for even being nominated.

There is only a select number of people that actually have the capability/certification to even nominate someone for a Nobel Peace Prize.

and last year he made the short list, which is even harder to achieve.:up:

What shart probably means is that the 'general' public doesn't know what Bono does for Africa... they just get annoyed of seeing his face everywhere... they don't know the stuff we do know about him, so they will judge him negatively..

well, europeans usually don't watch Cnn.... and a lot of europeans are Bono bashers... some even have it as a hobby... I can't recall the adress, but there even exists a website of it!
and most of my friends and the people I heard about him just get sick of seeing 'those sunglasses' everywhere on the news.... but do they listen to the topics? Nope! They just miss the point!

IMO, if/when Bono wins the Nobel, it should be when he's old and grey, sort of a recognition for what he's done over the course of his whole life. At this point he's at the height of his activism, there's so much more left in him. To win the Nobel now would be premature.

But yes, simply being nominated is a huge honor, especially when it's year after year.

U2democrat said:
IMO, if/when Bono wins the Nobel, it should be when he's old and grey, sort of a recognition for what he's done over the course of his whole life. At this point he's at the height of his activism, there's so much more left in him. To win the Nobel now would be premature.

But yes, simply being nominated is a huge honor, especially when it's year after year.

:up: That's exactly what I've been thinking.

People who tend to win this award have been involved in activism/charitable work on a full time basis for decades. I know he's dabbled in it over the years (and by using the word dabbled, I don't mean to diminish what he's done; it's just to point out that it's been sporadic, in comparison to his music interests), but he's hardly given it as much focus in the past as he has in the last 6 years or so.

If he keeps up his current level of involvement, and can point to tangible results of his work, I can see it happening in another 10 years or so.

think about the light this honor would shine on the One campaign as well as its partners. I like to see the prize promote futher accomplishments in the area it was awarded .

ps Time magazine has a poll from critics with their bets. The # 1 bet is Bono. He was last year as well I believe.

Back
Top Bottom