No Willie Williams = Same set list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MumblingBono said:
I hope so. I have no interest in hearing Miss Sarejevo where Bad should be.

They dumpted RTSS in favour of Miss Sarajevo. Bad's got nothing to do with it.

Didn't they change the visuals for Miracle Drug in the middle of the 2nd leg? I would expect that Willie would be in charge of a thing like that, but that he doesn't need to be there every time they change the setlist, because other people could replace him, maybe...

Blue Room said:

OK, I will play, what part of what they said causes you to think that specifically?

From my understanding of his long and successful relationship with U2, Willie (apart from his nightly routine of actually running the lighting cues...which are probably 90% automatic and preprogrammed..he is more of a system watchdog, and in the end I would be surprised at how much he actually does of this) is a visual consultant and designer to the entire show. I would say he is probably one of the most important people relative to the show, equal to if not greater than the FOH engineer and the stage director. I would also say that U2 depends on his input and critique as much as anyone's when it comes to changes to the show. Willie is world renowned for his talent, and may be the best in the world at what he does. U2 does not bring him out on the road full time to run lighting cues. They bring him on the road to push the envelope, develop new technologies, evolve a show as it travels, manage a moving superstructure of equipment and generally rely on his years and years of touring experience and expertise to help them create some of the most visually stunning and cutting edge shows ever seen.

This, to me, all leads me to believe that his absence plays a role in the static setlist. A role, not the entire reason, but a role.

Therefore, we are both looking at the same thing (and partly recognzing the same facts) but coming to different conclusions.

You are saying that Willie is not necessary to run the every day show. I agree...he's not. I think however that he is perhaps not necessary, but missed, when the band decides to try something new or not recently rehearsed (which for many of the shows have been a spur of the moment sort of change).

Again, my humble opinion based completely on my lack of personal or first hand experience.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom