Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You mean the Axl Rose who became obsessed with One and started following the band devotedly, then appeared onstage with the band during the European leg of ZooTV?

The correct answer is Henry Rollins.

Then there’s this article, with the most misleading headline of all time.

https://www.newsweek.com/bono-critics-mock-cringe-kyiv-show-praised-ukrainian-leaders-1704675?amp=1

They trolled Twitter to scrape up some conflict to fuel the click-bait headline.

"In it for the wallet" ??? Yeah, playing a free gig to a couple hundred people in a subway station has been evil, greedy Bono's plan finally coming to fruition after 43 years. bwahahahahaha!!! I will bleed the Ukranians DRY I TELL YOU!!!

Saw GnR twice in early Dec 91 (about 2 weeks after AB release date) and Axl had an anti-U2 speech on his teleprompter that he did verbatim each night. Called them something along the lines of "pussy pop" if I recall. Again, I believe it was because AB was in competition for chart position with UYI 1&2. So he changed his tune on them rather quickly.

Yeah, Bono is sounding really good here. Hitting some delicate high notes. WOWY stands out, and One was actually really well done with different and more full harmonies from Edge.

I think they struck a good mood for the performance as well. A somberness sort of sits over it.

Enjoyable watch. Not really sure about the first three song choices, but still well done.

Vertigo still just works. Even stripped down, the core riff and sturdy-yet-tossed off feeling lyrics are the very elements of the “songwriting craft” itch they’ve been struggling to reach for 17 years now.

You had the power within you all along, Dorothy. Stop trying so damn hard.

There are definitely some decent things going on in there for the acoustic album, but for the love of god dig deeper. No one needs an acoustic version of Desire and Angel. Lets get serious. I think it would be much more interesting to pull from the 90's material, and deeper old cuts. I mean, let's get crazy and do I Still Haven't Found... :doh::huh:

Sticking to the hits misses a big opportunity in my opinion. Sure there has to be some hits there, WOWY, One, even Vertigo. But I think adding in lesser known cuts leads people to explore those albums again. And would be much more interesting to big fans, who let's be honest, will be the people that actually buy this thing. Imagine a piano version of Zooropa, or Acrobat. THAT could be interesting.

Ok, and just to add to my last comment. What I'm hearing from this performance (yes I know it's not absolutely what will be on the album) is NOT reimagined. It's the songs played acoustically. The exception being Walk On with the different lyrics, but I don't even really count that. To me, reimagined means really altering the original structure and feel of the song, but with original lyrics. I have this completely different version of Acrobat in my head. I'm going to contact a friend of mine I used to play with and see if I can't work something up and share it in the future. Stripped down Streets of Philadelphia with a touch of Ben Folds piano... hard to explain what's in my head. But musically 180 degrees from the original.

Ok, and just to add to my last comment. What I'm hearing from this performance (yes I know it's not absolutely what will be on the album) is NOT reimagined. It's the songs played acoustically. The exception being Walk On with the different lyrics, but I don't even really count that. To me, reimagined means really altering the original structure and feel of the song, but with original lyrics. I have this completely different version of Acrobat in my head. I'm going to contact a friend of mine I used to play with and see if I can't work something up and share it in the future. Stripped down Streets of Philadelphia with a touch of Ben Folds piano... hard to explain what's in my head. But musically 180 degrees from the original.

I think it's going to be a mix of acoustic arrangements and reinterpretations as you've outlined.

Or just the song "40", cause as stated in the previous post "they're lazy".

It will be 40 and a few other tracks. The press release should’ve read “40, Songs of Surrender.” Missing commas can kill.

Or just the song "40", cause as stated in the previous post "they're lazy".
40 songs is kinda perfect, though.

It doesn't matter at all on streaming, and they can go and charge a shit ton for anyone who wants a physical four disc box set.

And oh, hey, here's a special 12 song single disc version with just a few highlights in case you don't want the big version.

Or how about the super deluxe version that includes live versions of the acoustic tracks?

The possibilities are endless here, folks.

Just wait for the limited run / limited location acoustic performances - residencies of surrender. I'm only half kidding, btw.

A super deluxe 40 songs total with ~10 per decade of existence would/could be cool. Count me amongst those hoping that we at least get some deeper cuts with the inevitable retreads, and lots of thoughtful rearrangements.

I won't get my hopes up for anything more than 12, though the more they got to in the studio, the more they'd have in their pockets ready to go for tour/promo. Lil bit o' leg work in the off season? These guys?

You’d think if they have this done and there’s a redone U2 song to match the title for every chapter of Bono’s book, that the “Out of Control” in the promo video would be the *new* version. But that would make too much sense.

Odds that "Surrender" is included in "Songs of Surrender"?

zero-john-belushi.gif

Back
Top Bottom