Next Album Rumours Thread V - Your Song Ruined My Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They’ve had lots of time since the JT shows in 2019 and a whole pandemic to write, record and relax.

The book is done. And audiobook is done. U2songs (who are pretty much always right about this stuff) say Songs of Surrender has been delivered to the label. There was some speculation here about why the long wait to release if it was done - clearly it’s a tie in with the book. The hype it all would generate sounds like a good launch pad for the next phase of U2, and given what u2songs have said, early 2023 for new music seems the most likely right now.

They’ve had lots of time since the JT shows in 2019 and a whole pandemic to write, record and relax.

The book is done. And audiobook is done. U2songs (who are pretty much always right about this stuff) say Songs of Surrender has been delivered to the label. There was some speculation here about why the long wait to release if it was done - clearly it’s a tie in with the book. The hype it all would generate sounds like a good launch pad for the next phase of U2, and given what u2songs have said, early 2023 for new music seems the most likely right now.

Yep. The only thing I'd be a bit wary of is expecting an album with new music in 2023. Wouldn't be surprised if there are the usual delays that come with this band. Also wouldn't be surprised if this is their last album, which could cause even more delay because there's more pressure to make it perfect.

Alopecia on Earth

will-smith-yells-at-chris-rock-at-occars2022.gif

Yep. The only thing I'd be a bit wary of is expecting an album with new music in 2023. Wouldn't be surprised if there are the usual delays that come with this band. Also wouldn't be surprised if this is their last album, which could cause even more delay because there's more pressure to make it perfect.

If they weren’t so melodramatic they could’ve had an album out of “Lost Dogs” during the pandemic. No reason why every album has to be an event; that time has come and gone. Even the biggest albums fizzle after week 1 unless they’ve got a streaming/TikTok hit (anyone hear from Adele lately?). Maybe this Songs of Surrender thing will help them let go… and then start putting out more music without a traditional promo schedule.

Yeah, its classic U2 at the moment where there might be a bunch of songs ready to record... they might start over again... Edge will be "on fire"... and then the over-thinking will begin.

It sounds obvious, but they'll either have a new single and album ready to go in the Spring with a tour in the summer... or they won't and it will be 2024.

I guess the book and reimagined songs gives them the option to embrace it a bit more and promote it more if they don't have anything new to go or if they are just all onboard with it and enjoying it.

If they weren’t so melodramatic they could’ve had an album out of “Lost Dogs” during the pandemic. No reason why every album has to be an event; that time has come and gone. Even the biggest albums fizzle after week 1 unless they’ve got a streaming/TikTok hit (anyone hear from Adele lately?). Maybe this Songs of Surrender thing will help them let go… and then start putting out more music without a traditional promo schedule.

I can't see them ever changing unfortunately. I did think lockdown and their advancing years would see them wanting to release more music, try new things (solo stuff, soundtrack work etc). They really are wedded to the single, album, tour thing.

Besides, as we've all said before, a band in their position could try and release new things in new ways without it cheapening their reputation or damaging their legacy, but they just ain't up for it.

Which is weird from a band who were so aware of how the internet would change the music industry when they negotiated their new deal back in the early 90s.

Finally watched all of the Ukraine Subway show and that's the best Bono has sounded in years IMO. Adjusting the songs to his current natural range has really transformed things.

I would think that some good U2 buzz would be the perfect way to sell Bono’s memoir come November.

The problem is that “good U2 buzz” for us means a good single that sounds like a creatively rejuvenated band.

“Good U2 buzz” for Bono and Edge means Ryan Tedder giving them a OneDirection throwaway that makes a quick splash on a radio station that plays “the hits of the 80s, 90s, and today!”

I would think that some good U2 buzz would be the perfect way to sell Bono’s memoir come November.

The problem is that “good U2 buzz” for us means a good single that sounds like a creatively rejuvenated band.

“Good U2 buzz” for Bono and Edge means Ryan Tedder giving them a OneDirection throwaway that makes a quick splash on a radio station that plays “the hits of the 80s, 90s, and today!”

I think "good U2 buzz" means playing an acoustic show in Ukraine, or a book. Even Interference seems to have lost interest in new stuff slightly and would rather the band recharge their legacy with good "legacy" decisions.

They are, after all, a legacy act.

Yep, and the best thing they can do for that legacy is to stop caring about relevance. The amount of good press that they got for the Ukraine concert was mostly positive, definitely drowning out the typical iPhone comments. More of that...

Back
Top Bottom