New Album Discussion: Worthwhile, Informative, And Not Even Slightly Grating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Desire was a blues track
'Desire' is a not a blues. While blues need not be strictly 12-bar or 16-bar songs with bent notes, I don't think even the loosest definitions would include something like 'Desire'.
and Angel Of Harlem was Gospel.
I personally think of Gospel as a 'content'-term, not a musical one, and as such 'Angel of Harlem' is not a gospel song (although dozens of U2 songs are, at least in a general sense). But I suppose it depends on your interpretation of the lyrics. In some sense, U2 are a gospel group.

Yeah. I shall call Angel Of Harlem a gospel track.
Fair enough. They dedicated it to Billie Holiday, and it references a loose assortment of New York-area black performers. But I don't disagree with you because I think nearly every U2 song is a gospel song (okay maybe not "Numb").
Desire is Bluesy.
It could be said to be "bluesy" in texture, but I think of it as an homage to early rock'n'roll. Obviously, it's using the "Bo Diddley beat".
I've just discovered that I like the Blues.
Good for you -- blues constitutes the richest vein of any folk music I know of. There's such a range of stuff, and often expressed in such a simple musical structure. (Not sure about "Red Hill Mining Town", though -- that's about as un-blues as guitar music can get! Sure is a great song, though!)

I really wouldnt mind if U2 did a "dance song" for their first single. They always say when you hear a U2 song it clears the dance floor. They havent made that song yet where the 20 somethings are out at the club and dance to it. I say go for it.

As much as the Adele song "someone like you" annoys me the "dance" version is still kinda cool. Semi-deep borderline cheezy lyrics to a synthesized dance groove with edge guitar - Im on board.

I really wouldnt mind if U2 did a "dance song" for their first single. They always say when you hear a U2 song it clears the dance floor. They havent made that song yet where the 20 somethings are out at the club and dance to it. I say go for it.

As much as the Adele song "someone like you" annoys me the "dance" version is still kinda cool. Semi-deep borderline cheezy lyrics to a synthesized dance groove with edge guitar - Im on board.
:angry::down::doh::madwife::scream::(:grumpy::panic:

No.

Fair enough. They dedicated it to Billie Holiday, and it references a loose assortment of New York-area black performers. But I don't disagree with you because I think nearly every U2 song is a gospel song (okay maybe not "Numb").

Angel of Harlem has more of a Stax/Volt southern soul sound than gospel. Don't really associate a horn section with church music.

Not sure if U2 really has any legit blues-sounding songs, though I imagine if you stripped the atmospherics out of Bullet The Blue Sky it might classify. I can certainly imagine some old blues guy belting out that vocal.

They tried with MW, and Discotheque and moreso Mofo. (making a dance song). Not sure they could legitimately do it at 50, either. Magnificent aka French Disco certainly didn't do it.

Some of the remixes do it though. (LWSH extended mix, MW remixes, EBTTRT Perfecto remix)

Would The fly, slowed down a bit and taking off the effects, count as a blues song (and given the "phone call from Hell" description of the lyrics) ? Flanagan calls it a blues song in his book.

They tried with MW, and Discotheque and moreso Mofo. (making a dance song). Not sure they could legitimately do it at 50, either.

I don't know what age has to do with making a dance song. You do know that a lot of top DJ's are in their 40's and 50's. Dance music exploded in the late 80's. Unless you're talking about modern dance tracks, which I don't think are as good as the 90's and early 00's.

Magnificent aka French Disco certainly didn't do it.

Some of the remixes do it though. (LWSH extended mix, MW remixes, EBTTRT Perfecto remix)

The remixes are all remixed by top dance producers. The Perfecto remixes were done by Paul Oakenfied who must be around the same age as U2, and who still makes dance music.

Would The fly, slowed down a bit and taking off the effects, count as a blues song ? Flanagan calls it a blues song in his book.

That's a bit of interesting food for thought :hmm:

DJs are a different matter compared to aged rock bands though.
eta: Especially the ones that already spent a decade of their career being fascinated by getting their music on the dancefloor.

Cactus Annie said:
Yeah but U2 could work with Paul Oakenfield again. I agree that Pop didn't have the best dance tracks ever. I think U2's best dance track was EBTTRT which was the re-working of Oakenfield

I love dance music.

And I respectfully disagree. I love U2 the rock band, but not U2 the dance band. To each his or her own.

there's a country-fied blues version of the Fly floating around somewhere.. just Bono on acoustic I think. no joke.

schnumi said:
Dear god what a terrible version of the fly, it needs to be electric people come on!

No one said it was better...

It was just Bono messing around with an acoustic. It's not like it was performed over the electric version in front of tens of thousands of people.

Would The fly, slowed down a bit and taking off the effects, count as a blues song (and given the "phone call from Hell" description of the lyrics) ? Flanagan calls it a blues song in his book.

Yeah, great call.

If that acoustic version posted above was slower, it would definitely fit into that category.

Back
Top Bottom