New Album Discussion: Worthwhile, Informative, And Not Even Slightly Grating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And I respectfully disagree. I love U2 the rock band, but not U2 the dance band. To each his or her own.

Well you're in luck then because U2 have always been a rock band and never been a dance band. There have been elements of various types of dance music, but they've never been a full on dance band, or even made a real dance track.

And good god, they should never work with Oakenfold again. His mixes were ok, but he's completely irrelevant and has been for a long, long time.

The best person U2 could work with if they want to make dance music is Caribou. He's really versatile, and is awesome.

Fly-2000 said:
I take it you don't mind Achtung Baby though? The album infused with hip hop dance beats?

I don't mind a little hip-hop beat in a rock song (which is what Achtung Baby is), but some of the remixes of U2 songs get dangerously close to not being rock. At all.

I don't mind a little hip-hop beat in a rock song (which is what Achtung Baby is), but some of the remixes of U2 songs get dangerously close to not being rock. At all.

I'm with you on this one. Again, to each their own, but the dance leanings they've dabbled in do nothing for me at all. There has been this sentiment that to experiment and go new and exciting is synonymous with dance/hip-hop/club.

If so, then give me old and redundant. AB was a perfect blend of rock with some newer grooves and beats, but it was far from dance/club stuff to my ear. Maybe that was the underlying influence and maybe some hear it that way, but I still hear a big rock album with more guitar solos than any of their work and in the live format, the biggest four-piece band jams they've had.

To me, the remixes have run the gauntlet from boring to awful in my opinion. And the Crazy Tonight live was cringe-worthy for me. But that's me.

I've never considered remixes of any U2 song to be canon at all, nor do I even listen to them. I also hated the Crazy Tonight remix. If they would've followed the song structure correctly, and if Bono would've put some effort into singing the verses, it might've been passable. That poorly executed almost every single time.

I'm in the minority of people who prefer the original version live. When I saw them play that on Letterman, I thought "wow, that's gonna be a beast live!" What they ended up doing to the song would have been uncomprehensible to me in March 2009.

Dance beats or not, U2 just need to make another album about sex, lies and tumultuous relationships, but with a *new* sound and a *new* producer.

Dance beats or not, U2 just need to make another album about sex, lies and tumultuous relationships, but with a *new* sound and a *new* producer.

At this point, I don't care if they release an album full of white noise mixed in with the sound of sheep bah-ing and Edge's Walk On guitar riff for 56 minutes, as long as it happens quickly - it would at least give Interference to talk about. :wink:

Not really except there are two different reports saying they are going back to the studio in January.

Other than that all you've missed is the AB reissue and a bunch of trolling...

Not really except there are two different reports saying they are going back to the studio in January.

Other than that all you've missed is the AB reissue and a bunch of trolling...

Oh I've been on that AB reissue and have had plenty of hot steamy listening sessions. All I have to say is daddy like.

Well, he doesn't say he's working on it.

Seriously, though? I'll believe both parts of that statement when either actually becomes true.

MAYBE. WE'LL SEE.

If it is their last, I'm fine with it. We're lucky they've given us as much great music as they have. If they're ready to end, I can't ask for anything more from them.

And maybe then I can move on with my life. :wink:

Danger mouse must be thrilled to hear that Eno may come in to tweaks his sessions

:down:

for all we know, Eno has been collaborating with U2 knowing that they'd go to Danger Mouse all along. Or maybe the reverse order. Who knows. Who cares? it's all speculation off of a small tweet from Eno, who might have nothing to do with it, but has been friends with U2 for quite awhile.

At least he seems to think there will be an album next year. That's what I take away from it, so that's some good news at least.

Funny, of all four guys, I actually think it would be Adam who's most willing to hang it up. The new baby would be a big pull for the guy to want to settle down. It wasn't for the other three, but they were younger then. He's had an interview or two in the last few months where he made it sound like touring was not as appealing anymore (Q maybe). Who knows...we'll see.

I hope they go out with a bang, yet I have a feeling that having a killer album would also encourage them to keep going. Hard to foresee how they'd end.

The Eno part is confusing to me, though. Does he say this from conversations as a friend, or is it as a collaborator/producer? They've seemed so keen on working with DM & we've had no hint that that plan has changed. However, if they are planning a final album, I can see them wanting to wrap things up with Eno/Lanois.

Anyone remember how long their deal with Mercury lasts, or how many albums it includes?

Honestly, with all of the harping on about "does the world need U2?" shtick that Bono's been doing (and it is a shtick, as he's been saying the same lines in every band-related interview), this could all be part of the between-album hype.

Reading the rest of "I'mBrianEno" 's tweets, I don't think it's him.

And if you come back and tell me that Brian Eno Is The Type To Capitalize The First Letter Of Every Work In A Sentence, I will cry.

I mean, I like to think the guy would have more poetic tweets and not sound like some random knob on Twitter.

Well he did say something like "art comes from shit" in the Lanois movie...;)

Funny, of all four guys, I actually think it would be Adam who's most willing to hang it up. The new baby would be a big pull for the guy to want to settle down. It wasn't for the other three, but they were younger then. He's had an interview or two in the last few months where he made it sound like touring was not as appealing anymore (Q maybe). Who knows...we'll see.

I hope they go out with a bang, yet I have a feeling that having a killer album would also encourage them to keep going. Hard to foresee how they'd end.

The Eno part is confusing to me, though. Does he say this from conversations as a friend, or is it as a collaborator/producer? They've seemed so keen on working with DM & we've had no hint that that plan has changed. However, if they are planning a final album, I can see them wanting to wrap things up with Eno/Lanois.

Anyone remember how long their deal with Mercury lasts, or how many albums it includes?

Honestly, with all of the harping on about "does the world need U2?" shtick that Bono's been doing (and it is a shtick, as he's been saying the same lines in every band-related interview), this could all be part of the between-album hype.

I'm thinking Larry would be the one most tired of all the touring...he tends to sound like the one least interested in the touring/hype machine side of being in U2. Wasn't it Guggi or Gavin Friday that also said they're thinking about hanging it up a little while ago ?

I think they will want to go out on a high note...or die trying. Well, he doesn't say he's working on it - but then again, he probably wouldn't know unless he is involved in it. Certainly Lanois hasn't mentioned working with the band in his latest interviews. Eno and Danger Mouse together ?

I don't think the Mercury deal was revealed specifically.

Well, later he clarified: "Maybe, That's Not For Sure..."

So I wouldn't draw any conclusions about that just yet.

I don't know... That Twitter account doesn't say "verified" like other celebrities' pages do. The tweets really don't seem very Eno-esque to me, either.

Twitter

I would be very angry and disappointed in U2 if they quit now. They still have a lot of potential and are only "old" when compared to Top 40 musicians. If they give up out of self-pity because GOYB didn't do well on the radio, that would be pathetic.

If that really is Brian Eno, then I hope he's just saying that because he's been recruited into Bono's latest doomsday hype campaign. It's a little late, though, because it's been a while since Bono said anything about irrelevancy, but that may be because the last few times he talked to the press were for talking about AIDS and weren't music-related.

Back
Top Bottom