New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hsBY6Ql.png
[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Ok overall nice listen. Hopefully though this “we’re songwriters” bullshit is finally out of their system, Larry heals up, and they deliver a proper rocking U2 album.

All these interviews and does it seem like Larry isn’t happy with the decision to play without him ? Like he agreed but was reluctant and now the mood is maybe he’s not sure wants to move forward ?

Bono has gone from rock album!!! We won’t play without our drummer!! Maybe we’ll become an acoustic duo!!

Same panic from the interferencers. It’s like we won’t be happy unless there is some conspiracy. Larry’s back was injured by 5G…

i'm boycotting this album. it doesn't have Surrender anywhere on the tracklist.

i'll be contacting a lawyer on monday to start the proceedings for a class action lawsuit against U2 for false advertising. who's with me?

Let's go after Barenaked Ladies and 10,000 Maniacs too so we can increase the judgement amount.

Are we really going to sit here and pretend that Two Hearts Beat as One isn't an absolute blast of pure retro-funk? Who knew that Edge could be such a silly goose?

First listen… WOW 11 O’Clock was sublime. First sheepish grin moment for me.

Halfway through and really enjoying much of it. You know what this isn't..........................Lazy.

The atmospherics added to EBW really elevate it, wow. And Bono’s vocal is absurdly good.

Oh I do recommend you go to 16:10 to hear Bono nudge Adam and Larry under the bus before declaring himself a songwriter first and foremost.

https://youtu.be/Edzt3Lnp9jU

throwing under the bus? I'd imagine this is a pretty fair declaration of how they contribute to the song writing.

Let's not kid ourselves here.. Larry and Adam aren't bringing songs to the table when they're in the studio. Grooves & beats sure - but these turn into the songs we love when Bono/Edge bring their skills to the table

EDIT: in recent years, I think these skills have been shaped by this newfound belief that they're song writers first. For better or for worse. But before this it was still B&E (and talented, humble producers) that shaped the music. That turned Larry's thumping drum beat into STFWILF, for example.

Last edited:
throwing under the bus? I'd imagine this is a pretty fair declaration of how they contribute to the song writing.

Let's not kid ourselves here.. Larry and Adam aren't bringing songs to the table when they're in the studio. Grooves & beats sure - but these turn into the songs we love when Bono/Edge bring their skills to the table

EDIT: in recent years, I think these skills have been shaped by this newfound belief that they're song writers first. For better or for worse. But before this it was still B&E (and talented, humble producers) that shaped the music. That turned Larry's thumping drum beat into STFWILF, for example.

I said nudge.

Must say I am totally shocked at how much I like this album. I listened to all the clips as they were released and wasn't overly impressed by anything I heard, but weirdly, listened too in it's entirety it works brilliantly.

Dear god, I love Stay. It sounds like it would be the POP version of the song... The vocals on the verses is just perfect and what I was hoping for from this album.

And I'm not a big Stuck fan, but this could be one of the few on the album that beat the original, more true emotional power on this version.

It's generally for the better that if Bono and Edge have an idea, they will run with it regardless of any naysayers. It's that attitude that gave us Achtung Baby after all.

Even Daniel Lanois was sceptical of their vision. Above all, that album is very much a Bono and Edge album, with support for that artistic vision mainly coming from Eno (who I gather didn't have much input sonically for that album?).

It would be interesting to see if Bono and Edge could go into uncharted unknown territory with equal vision and enthusiasm for the music again. Only if the pair of them are in full agreement will it produce great results (notably on Pop there wasn't consensus, Edge seemed a bit more restrained about the possibilities as opposed to Bono who was hellbent on pushing it as far as possible).

Happy U2 album release day, everyone. Nice to see this place up and running.

Hope to give this a listen tomorrow - enjoying all of your reactions.

Happy U2 album release day, everyone. Nice to see this place up and running.

Hope to give this a listen tomorrow - enjoying all of your reactions.

Yes. Happy U2 release day/St Patricks Day. Listened to a few tracks late last night and was blown away at the vocals and production. Most of these songs sound brand new/fresh. Was not expecting this. Way to go U2 (Edge).

Got really teary eyed during 'If God Will Send His Angels'. Its been a long time since they've acknowledged POP and I wasn't expected to sound that good. My 19 year old said hi to my 45 year old self now haha

Enjoy everyone & be proud of U2 releasing the most interesting greatest hits album by a band :)

Back
Top Bottom