New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Insofar as there is or should be a single, I feel like it’s Red Hill

With the fuller kit and horns it feels like they put a little more into it, too… the single Red Hill almost was

I hope they keep it up with the breezy retro guitars on the next record, it’s a nice vintage enough to be back in style note for them to strike

I would be very down for breezy chill retro U2
I agree with you. I would love an album with this production full of new songs. Edge doesn't use his signature sound once, does he?

I think Two Hearts should have been the 1st single myself though.

dumb choices for singles, leaving a great song off the album, delayed tour launch…

U2 is back baby!

Lol leaving Moment of Surrender off their album Songs of Surrender for the Surrender book… you have to give them credit, they never took the easy road

I feel like this Ordinary Love is another song you could maybe imagine getting some play. And yeah Two Hearts is awesome

In U2's defense, Pride was a great choice, and while it's old news, it is one of the coolest reimagined songs on this album. BD is great too. Could have done better than One and WOWY and chose a deeper track. At the same time, maybe they did that because they know that the most interest in this album will be from the biggest fans.

Did I miss the link or did it finally come out for real? MM all day for me. Glad you kids are liking it.

Overall enjoyed this way more than I expected, considering I generally am not interested in their acoustic versions. But as a whole the project is a fun listen. There aren't any I outright disliked, although I'm mixed on GOOYOW and The Miracle (although I liked that they switched it up). Generally I liked when it felt like they did something beyond straight acoustic reimagining, although oddly enough my top two favorites were basically that - Bad and The Little Things.

Other biggest winners for me
- All the Boy tracks (+ 11 O'Clock)
- Two Hearts Beat As One
- Red Hill Mining Town
- Desire
- All I Want is You
- The Fly
- Stay
- Vertigo
- Invisible

There's quite a few tracks that I wish they had pushed further, but that's fine. With 40 to pick from I can make my own concise playlist of 20 or so.

You know what’s pretty wild? I consider Bono to have an extremely unique voice; most Bono vocal impersonators are not very good.

And yet there’s a guy who sounds like 95% similar IN THE SAME BAND.

Work took over. Disc 4:

- vocal delivery of lights of home hits so much harder than the album.
- I love Stay, builds, swells, just a great way of displaying the delicacy in the song.
- SBS is SO MUCH better than the “live” acoustic video they posted during covid.
- Cedarwood road may be the most superfluous song in the collection. It’s nice but pales next to lots of amazing tracks.
- who knew we needed acoustic I Will Follow? It’s fun, works well, but isn’t top tier in this set
- miracle drug is odd, but I kinda love it. Will probably grow.
Little things is top tier.
40 is amazing

So happy with this

i'm boycotting this album. it doesn't have Surrender anywhere on the tracklist.

i'll be contacting a lawyer on monday to start the proceedings for a class action lawsuit against U2 for false advertising. who's with me?

Last edited:
Gotta say that Stories for Boys, 11 O'Clock, Out of Control, BD, and Bad
is probably the best run of songs on the album.

Last edited:
The new version of Miracle Of Joey Ramone is so close to being great, but the new chorus is just clunky as hell. If they'd had this arrangement and kept the original chorus, it's incredible.

Confession time,I really like GOOYOW. Even that pesky lincolns ghost can't ruin it.

Going to need an exorcism to get rid of him I think!

hsBY6Ql.png

Seeing the overwhelmingly positive response here makes me so happy. I’ve listened to the whole thing on repeat most of today. Bono’s voice is just sublime. It is so intimate. The melody changes give stage songs such authenticity to.

Back
Top Bottom