New Album Discussion 10 - Songs of Sir, this is a Wendy's, durr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder about some of these abrupt stops and fade outs whether they want to highlight more unheralded songs in this project - 40 is sublime. Picking the hits to introduce the project sticks out like dog’s balls

What I mean is not every song can explode into an epic crescendo and the hits got that treatment the first time around. Maybe here they want to give some of the lesser known songs room to shine.

Agreed. I don’t really mind the “new” version, but the Colbert/book tour performance is something close to a tour de force. Maybe the so-called talking aspects could prevent it, but hoping at the very least, they might release some version of it down the road, via a live compilation or whatever else.

Agreed. All the arrangements in the live book show were phenomenal. I'd be interested to know how they came up with those - did they start with a list of instruments they were going to have in the lineup and then arrange for those (although that sounds like a very Brian Eno way of doing it), or noodle away with Jackknife Lee on arrangements first.

Where’s the clip of cobl

Let me clarify. I like the COBL clip from the book recordings. We now know that those may or may not completely reflect what is the official final version of it.

I also really liked that short SBS youtube clip from the book tour performance, and we really know that the final could be way different.

This album is for fans to put in as they do other things. That's how I see it. It's background music as you write, fuck, do homework, pay bills, jerk off, write, fuck, listen to your wife tell you that a tree just hit your house, fuck, jerk off...

I'm like WOW and BD best by far of the 4, but the other 2 I'm not hitting skip on. I think for once, I'll play the whole fucking album.

A good test for these songs would be to imagine these were new songs and not reworkings. BD is the only one that is up to scratch. These rest are meh.

Why is that a good test? They aren’t new songs.

A good test of a thing isn’t to pretend it’s not that thing but it is in fact an other thing.

That test only serves to weight the scales so people who are disappointed feel justified. You’re allowed to not like it for what it actually is.

yeah what; how is that remotely the test? I’m probably one of the more critical people here about this album, but I don’t think anyone is trying to say these are definitive versions of these songs. They’re a novelty, and how you choose to consume this novelty is up to you.

Edge going on a big Ye Vagabonds kick may explain Songs of Surrender

If U2 were trying to connect with Irish folk genre through SOS, it would have been really cool if they had completely folk-i-fied 40 of their songs (as in...bring in some authentic local musicians and duet singers, and reimagine the songs completely in folk tradition).

If U2 were trying to connect with Irish folk genre through SOS, it would have been really cool if they had completely folk-i-fied 40 of their songs (as in...bring in some authentic local musicians and duet singers, and reimagine the songs completely in folk tradition).
I agree. That would have been really cool to see.

From the looks of the Disney + trailer we may just see some of that.

https://u2songs.com/news/upcoming/

Latest rumour U2songs hears is that the next album could release this fall, if the band is in shape to plan a world tour by that point. They're predicting late 2023 or early 2024.

Given Larry isn't well enough to play the vegas shows, I'd assume he also wouldn't be able to play any promo shows for the new album around that same time (sure they could just do more acoustic Bono and Edge shows like for SoI and SoE, but you'd imagine for a 'fuck off rock and roll' album they'd want the whole band ready to show it off). So I'm betting March '24 at the earliest. I'm also betting we won't hear any new material at the Vegas shows for the same reason.

Then again, if they lock in any stadium dates for '24, and this album really is a 'fuck off to the pop charts' project, maybe they'd be happy with an autumn '23 release date and to just forgo promo performances altogether/let the Vegas shows serve that role.

u2songs also predicting it'll be another "songs of..." title. I really wish they'd move away from the 2010's era with a new title, but I bet it's going to end up being called something like 'Songs of Defiance'...

I don’t think we’ll be getting any new music until Fall 2024 and no touring until Spring 2025, at the earliest.

I may be underestimating Larry’s recovery, but I’m not sure if he’ll be ready for promo/touring activity in 2024. Obviously depends on the surgery date and how complex it could be. But I wouldn’t be surprised if after Vegas, U2 “the entity” aren’t going back into the public eye until he’s ready to go.

I think he’s had the surgery - the Vegas timing was about recovery window wasn’t it? There was a quote about not recovering in tune

Most big tours now are selling tix 6+ months in advance so if they’re going stadiums, early ‘24 wouldn’t be out of the question.

And the persistent rumor *has* been stadiums, which strikes me more about capitalizing on people wanting to see the band for this first time in 6-7 years than a typical “new album tour” move. Which makes me wonder what’s the new staging thing they’d deploy this time?

The band is in the stands and the only seats are on the floor... The band is 360 around the audience and the stage slowly moves on a track like a kids train set...

I just realized the first U2 show I saw was Live from Sydney, so I wonder if they will do something similar for Vegas...

The band is in the stands and the only seats are on the floor... The band is 360 around the audience and the stage slowly moves on a track like a kids train set...

Bono needs to get his steps in

I think he’s had the surgery - the Vegas timing was about recovery window wasn’t it? There was a quote about not recovering in tune

As usual, it's clear as mud.... I've read quotes which suggest he's already had it, with others saying he's going to have it.

It's a medical issue so they'd be perfectly entitled to say it's none of our business.

Based on Edge's comments, they're still to write and record the album, so who knows. 2024 I'm guessing for a tour?

Back
Top Bottom