NBA 2022-23 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
a clear top two have separated themselves in the east, with a clear #3 behind them.

maaaaaaaybe the Heat can jump up and overtake Brooklyn - but otherwise 4 through 6 is pretty set.

7 through 12 (and maaaybe 13) is going to be crazy through these last 20 some odd games.

very similar in the west... #1 is fairly locked. same with 2 and 3. maaaaaaybe the suns can catch sacramento if everyone stays healthy.

4 games separate the 13th seed from the 4th seed. bonkers shit.

Yeah kinda crazy Jazz are only 2 games out of the 4th seed. I suspect the best they’ll do is the play-in tournament, but since tanking has been a failure, might as well go for it.

West playoff race is going to be fun down the stretch

How far through the season are we? Are the Kings a lock for top 6 in the west? My silly takes aside, I don't think our defence (or 'D' as you freaks call it) will stand up in the playoffs.

Something I really dislike about American sports is how quickly something can just be blown up. You'd be forgiven, if you were a Nets fan, for, circa 2020, 2021, feeling so excited and hopeful at having Harden, Irving and Durant on your team. Harden goes, but there's been problems, and you get three pretty good players in return. Six weeks ago, they're second in the conference. Fast forward a few weeks and Irving and Durant are gone, you're plummeting down the table and your 'best' player (although what do I know) is perhaps the most maligned player in recent memory and totally unreliable. That's kinda fucked up and must be heartbreaking as a fan.

The Sacto Delly's have played 60 games of an 82 game schedule. So, they do not have a top 6 spot locked, being only 4.5 games up on the 7 seed currently but would need a pretty spectacular collapse to fall that far. Likely could only happen if they decided to start Delly.

As for the Nets. That's the modern NBA. Players (veterans and stars) have an incredible amount of control over where they play, and sometimes it leads to situations like this where the course of a franchise gets completely turned around. Happened both ways for the Nets, they went from a middling afterthought of a team in 2019 to a potential title contender overnight when Durant and Irving signed, back to a middling afterthought 2 weeks ago. Hitching your wagon to Kyrie Irving is a foolish move which Mark Cuban is finding out rather quickly.

How far through the season are we? Are the Kings a lock for top 6 in the west? My silly takes aside, I don't think our defence (or 'D' as you freaks call it) will stand up in the playoffs.

Something I really dislike about American sports is how quickly something can just be blown up. You'd be forgiven, if you were a Nets fan, for, circa 2020, 2021, feeling so excited and hopeful at having Harden, Irving and Durant on your team. Harden goes, but there's been problems, and you get three pretty good players in return. Six weeks ago, they're second in the conference. Fast forward a few weeks and Irving and Durant are gone, you're plummeting down the table and your 'best' player (although what do I know) is perhaps the most maligned player in recent memory and totally unreliable. That's kinda fucked up and must be heartbreaking as a fan.

Yep, aside from Milwaukee being in my home state, this is why Giannis may go down as my favorite sports icon of all time. He actually chose to stay in a small market because he's loyal. Leading up to his decision, all of the media markets spent so much time analyzing where his next team would be because that's just the norm now. Who knows, Giannis might move on in a few years. I hope not, but even if he does, I will never forget his loyalty in 2020 which ultimately brought Milwaukee its first championship in 50 years.

odds are good that the BEAM TEAM will lock in the 3 seed.

that being said - if they do slide - it could be a far slide.

There's 3 games separating Sacramento from Phoenix for the 3 seed. (there's also only 1.5 games between Sacramento and Memphis for the 2)

There's also 4 games separating the 4 seed from the 13th seed. So if a team goes on a losing streak they could drop considerably... and flip side, if a team gets hot they could go from out of the playoffs to hosting a playoff series. That's how tightly packed the west is right now.

Here's the current rankings w/ games back and remaining strength of schedule

1. Denver - 0 - 25th
2. Memphis - 5.5 - 30th
3. BEAM TEAM - 7.0 - 4th
4. Phoenix - 10 - 9th
5. Clippers - 10.5 - 8th
6. Dallas - 11 - 23rd
7. Golden State - 11.5 - 7th
8. Utah - 12 - 11th
9. Minnesota - 12.5 - 3rd
10. New Orleans - 13 - 28th
11. Portland - 13 - 10th
12. Talkin' Lakers - 13.5 - 26th
13. Oklahoma City 14 - 27th

best thing for TEAM BEAM is that a lot of the teams chasing them have injury issues. KD hasn't played for Phoenix yet, Curry is still out for the Warriors. Kawhi is healthy but always a question mark. Dallas seems like the team that SHOULD make a run based on their strength of schedule, but the Luka / Kyrie pairing hasn't gotten off to a great start.

going to be really interesting to see what happens at the bottom. Lakers have an easier schedule to close it out - but Lebron may be out for the season. goes to show how foolish it was to trade away first round picks to try and push this turd of a roster into the play in game. they should have just rode it out. Russ also could have helped - but i guess he's a vampire, or something.

it seems set up for portland to get that 10 seed. new orleans has plummeted. they need to figure out their Zion issue. they should try and trade him in the offseason. he's electric - but he's never on the court. if you can get a haul for him - do it. (i don't think they'll do it).

crazy how almost every team is going over the top with load management, yet players are getting hurt left and right. yet the one guy who everyone bashes for "playing players too much" has the healthiest team in the league. i wonder if there's some kind of correlation there... probably not.

it'll be kings vs raptors in the finals.

also:

nick nurse maybe? he's notorious for overplaying his starters but the raptors are all healthy aside from van vleet who's been off a few games for the birth of his child.

Wonder how many more times I can quote this between now and end of season.

the only counterpoint i would make is that they took a swing and can clear a ton of cap space this offseason, and/or do a sign and trade to the Talkin' Lakers for their remaining first round pick - which will ultimately be a top lottery pick when the Talkin' Lakers are awful in 6 years.

but generally speaking - yea - bringing Kyrie Irving into your locker room is a recipe for disaster.

Here's a stat Cobbler will like. This is the highest scoring NBA season since 1969-70. And amidst all of that scoring, the Kings are the highest-scoring team. And also by far the best offense in clutch situations.

It really has been an impressive championship run for Phoenix. Would have loved if the Bucks or Celtics had a chance to take them down but that's how the cookie crumbles sometimes!

pace and space!

FqMJEj9WwAMoEsE

The Sixers are careening towards another second round exit, I have already accepted this. Basically the only solace I have for this season is that I have been completely correct about Ben Simmons flaming out in Brooklyn (his problems have always gone way beyond "not shooting threes"). And in my older age, being a hater doesn't really have the appeal that it once did.

Feels like a final four of Denver/Phoenix, and Boston/Milwaukee to me. What happens after that? Hopefully some good basketball.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom