Name of Bono's Grandfather?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
:|

What's next? Bono's nephew's name?

:wink:

You mean you don’t know? Actually, I was wondering the other day if anyone knew his mothers maiden name…… :reject: I guess I won’t ask that now.

pattip2000 said:

You mean you don’t know? Actually, I was wondering the other day if anyone knew his mothers maiden name…… :reject: I guess I won’t ask that now.

I'm pretty sure it was Rankin.

Zootlesque said:

I want to know the name of Bono's primary school principal's grandfather's best friend's niece's husband's childhood milkman's dog's former owner was.

Axver said:

I want to know the name of Bono's primary school principal's grandfather's best friend's niece's husband's childhood milkman's dog's former owner was.

it's this guy:

dh7sb.jpg

Zootlesque said:

No, the name of the Great Grandparents. I know some people with Dublin ancestry who are curious about the possibility of being related, distantly of course. The only way to determine that is to compare family trees.

Bono's father, Brendan Robert Hewson, was born in 1925. So of course, his father would have been born probably around 1900 and would be listed on Irelands two publically available census's, for 1901 and 1911. All census records prior to 1901 were unfortunately burned when the Archives in Dublin were bombed during the Irish Civil War. Despite this serious gap in genealogical records, family trees can be researched through the Church records which are available to the general public as late as the early 1900s and then going back through the 1800s or to whenever record keeping in that particular parish began.

Also, Bono's mothers full name is Iris Rankin. I'm not sure when she was born though.

Last edited:
Waldemar Hewson was born 1893 in Howth, a small seaside town near Dublin. He was a tailor, married at the age of 19 to Elisabeth (Lizzy) Ferringer, with whom he had four children: Daniel, John, Katey and Bob (Bono's father). Till the age of 27 Waldemar's favorite colour was green, but after that dark blue. Waldemar unfortunately passed away at the young age of 46.

Interested in some other intriguing stories of Waldemar?

BANZAI said:
Till the age of 27 Waldemar's favorite colour was green, but after that dark blue.

Yeah, you're taking the piss, aren't you?

BANZAI said:
Waldemar Hewson was born 1893 in Howth, a small seaside town near Dublin. He was a tailor, married at the age of 19 to Elisabeth (Lizzy) Ferringer, with whom he had four children: Daniel, John, Katey and Bob (Bono's father). Till the age of 27 Waldemar's favorite colour was green, but after that dark blue. Waldemar unfortunately passed away at the young age of 46.

Interested in some other intriguing stories of Waldemar?

I'm interested in an answer to my question.

Maoilbheannacht said:

I'm interested in an answer to my question.

Well in that case I've got to disappoint you...his actual name was Ron but his nickname was Waldemar. Disappointed? :wink:

Last edited:
Why do you joke with this thread around? Curiosity is legitim, I'm used to give answers when someone asks me something, not BS. Why should many joke around with someone when they don't find a thread interesting or at the same level of their intelligence?
Give it cut with laughing at people's questions when you find them not interesting, if he wants to know the name of Bono's GF he needs someone who tells it to him. He hasn't named this thread the "joke with me around thread"

babyman said:
Why do you joke with this thread around? Curiosity is legitim, I'm used to give answers when someone asks me something, not BS. Why should many joke around with someone when they don't find a thread interesting or at the same level of their intelligence?

Because that's the mo of some people around here, it's getting so tired.

Good luck with your genealogy search Maoilbheannacht

I actually don't think this information is as difficult to come by as people may think. Obviously, forum posters who live in Dublin would have the most access to it. But, I think a lot has been published about U2 and their lives over the past 25 years, enough that the names of Bono's grandparents may have been mentioned at some point.

There is the U2 book "The Unforgettable Fire" which I don't have, but which has probably the largest collection of information on the bands families and friends from the 1970s. There is also U2 the "Early Days", another book which I don't have which may have some more important information.

In Dublin newspapers, one could I suppose look up the obituary's for Bono's mother as well as one of the Grandfathers. Bono's mother died at Bono's Grandfathers funural in 1974. I don't know if this was Grandfather Rankin or Grandfather Hewson. Obviously, you would have two obituary's within the same month. I think one of the U2 books might give the date or at least the month that Irish passed away, which would be the same as the Grandfather as far as the month. Someone in Dublin could easily look this information up.

Once you know the Grandparents names, who were all most likely born prior to 1911, then its just a matter of finding them on the Irish 1911 census, and your off and running as far as building that family tree. This does assume though that the Rankin and Hewson Grandparents were born and raised in Dublin county as well. If that was not the case, then tracing the family becomes much more difficult.

Hewson and Rankin are not very common names, and are actually very rare in Dublin county. Anyone with those names living in Dublin county has a good chance of being related to Bono.

Also, the date of Bob Hewson and Iris Rankin's marriage may have been listed in U2's "The Unforgettable Fire" book. Once again, there may have been a marriage notice in one of the Dublin papers around that date, and the names of the parents may have been listed.

Hasn't Bono said in an interview or two that he was trying to find out if his mother was Jewish?

Im sure Iris died at the funeral of her OWN father :) maybe that's a little help for you..

I think I've heard about the marriage date.. might've been VH1 Ledgends from 2001..:hmm: I'll check it soon and you'll hear if I found some!

Back
Top Bottom