My mom is pitting me against my dad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
My parents have been divorced since I was 11. Both have remarried, and from the time of the divorce until I was about 17, I lived with my mom. After that, I mostly lived with my dad (just for the sake of convenience--I get along pretty well with both my parents).

Here's the problem: I have to have some surgery this summer, and the surgery isn't covered by my medical insurance. It's the culmination of a few other surgeries in the past several years, all stemming from an accident I had many years ago (actually, right after my parents split). Once I have this surgery, all the problems will (finally!) be corrected. Of course, the bill for this most recent bout of surgery will probably be around two to three thousand dollars. My parents are going to pay for it, but my dad has a much better job than my mom and has a lot more money.

Apparently my parents' divorce agreement wasn't really fair to my mom, at least to hear her tell it, and whenever major expenses come up for me or my siblings, my mom gets really steamed that she and my dad (I guess) still share things 50-50. Then she talks to me and bitches about my father and how unfair it is and how "there are things I should know."

Now all of this might be true, but don't you think my mom should be talking to my dad--or an attorney--about this? I do know that I live with my dad entirely rent-free, for example, and that while he's a little weird about money (as many dads seem to be), he's also never said no to me if I really needed it for something important. I love both my parents equally and I *hate* when my mom tries to put me in the middle like this.

:(

Pax!

You should come right out and tell her that you don't want to be in the middle. I know this is difficult - I had to do something similar with my dad and his brother and sister (my aunt and uncle). They have had an ongoing dispute over family Wills - and I don't want to be in the middle of it. Tell her, you do not want to be in the middle. You are an adult now.

my mother does that to me too. i can't get away from it, because i live with her. if i get an email from my father, or i spoke to him recently, or someone mentions him, then i'd never hear the end of it, how he was a bad father, etc...while most of those things were true, its been many years, and i've since parted ways with my resentment towards him. everyone else won't let go. they have to make me feel guilty for even talking to him, because of what he was like. i love both of them too...but shit. can't they both shut up about one another? gah...

Pax :hug:

They should not be discussing finances or anything to do with their divorce with you AT ALL.

I have been dealing with this issue with my husband and his ex-wife for 14 years and I've seen what's it's done to their kids...it drives me crazy when she calls and says things like "well, I paid for (fill in the blank) all these years, you do it now." Its childish and sets a terrible example...the kids start to feel like their parents only care about money. Its been a constant battle over who pays for the doctor, dentist, car repairs, insurance, clothes, you name it. The kids are 25 and 28 years old and she STILL does it :| IMO opinion, it really has very little to do with money...its more about her resentment over the divorce.

Talk to you Mom and let her know how uncomfortable this makes you feel...hopefully she'll see that its wrong to complain to you about these things :hug:

Pax,

You are an adult now, would it be possible to just let your mom vent a bit. I don't know how intolerable it is for you.

I see situations like this often. Usually over time it lessens and goes away. I hope it does in your case too.

Although things have cooled considerably in the last 2 years, my mom will still complain about my dad in front of me. :| It blows, and I always tell her to quit, because what's done is done, SHE wanted the divorce, etc. :tsk:

Hope you can resolve things, girl. Or, most realistically, make them more comfortable. :hug:

Pax-
You shouldnt be in the middle of this.
There are two sides to every story though.
No matter if your Ma is right, or if your Pops is right, it is very bad form for a parent to bad mouth another parent.
Its nearly taboo.

I gave my ex a lot of money,
paid for her Bachelor's Degree, and its still wanst enough.
I got fu*ked over royally.
I even had to pay her attorney fees ....alimony, child support etc etc.
And she was that person who wanted out.
She more or less hit the jackpot in our divorce.

Our children will never know of our business though.
Its not their drama.

The women I date usually ask if they can marry me and then divorce me with the same benifit package:angry:;)

Talk to your Mom and say-"I think this is an issue you should take up w Dad, and Dad usually has nice things to say about you Mom":)

DB9

Last edited:
I think you should maybe ask your Mom to have discussions about money with your Dad. It's not fair to put you in the middle of a disagreement between your parents.

Thanks everyone for reading and giving input. :)

Deep--you're right to an extent, but how much can I "let her vent" and not start resenting my dad? My dad won't talk about this stuff with me, so I can't really get his side of the story. If I can only hear one side, I'd rather not hear any of it. I really just don't want to have to be the go-between for my parents. After nine years of this, they should have things straightened out.

Bono's American Wife said:
diamond is 100% absolutely correct :up:

thank u BAW.
Fizzing has it correct too.
I think its a bit funny when ppl offer advice who-

1-havent been married
2- havent any raised children.
3-or havnt been a child of divorce.

:wink:

DB9

Last edited:
A parent should never "vent" about their divorce to one of their children. That would be like discussing your sex life with them...you just don't do it. No matter how badly or unfairly you feel you were treated by your ex, they will ALWAYS be the mother/father of your child.

If someone needs to vent about how pissed they are at their ex or how they feel ripped off or whatever, they should vent to a close friend or an impartial family member.

again, diamond has it right:

Our children will never know of our business though.
Its not their drama

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom