Muff, County Donegal, Ireland Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well boston 1 i had seats with my mom. boston 2 i was front and center on the outer rail, it was brilliant, and of course the setlist bowled me over, i'd known about ybr but not stay, it was amazing.

yeah, i flipped when the opener changed. then i realized that i didn't actually know what they had opened with in chicago and toronto, but still, it was a better opener. now if only they'd close with something that wasn't MOS...

yeah, i flipped when the opener changed. then i realized that i didn't actually know what they had opened with in chicago and toronto, but still, it was a better opener. now if only they'd close with something that wasn't MOS...

i still think it needs to be no line on the horizon. i can't believe how well it went over with the crowd in chicago, especially given how breathe completely deflated the excitement that was built up during kingdom and so on. i also hate to admit it, but i found my mind wandering towards the second half of magnificent both nights!

i'm really liking moment of surrender as a closer, given bono doesn't seem to be over-singing it as much now. i think breathe would be a good closer, ironically.

haven't gotten bad yet. fingers and toes crossed. until the end of the world was great, but i did see it on vertigo. stay was my first time.

i still think it needs to be no line on the horizon. i can't believe how well it went over with the crowd in chicago, especially given how breathe completely deflated the excitement that was built up during kingdom and so on. i also hate to admit it, but i found my mind wandering towards the second half of magnificent both nights!

i'm really liking moment of surrender as a closer, given bono doesn't seem to be over-singing it as much now. i think breathe would be a good closer, ironically.
i agree that nloth would be best. but magnificent was better.

i just wish the encore wasn't the same 3 predictable songs each time.

haven't gotten bad yet. fingers and toes crossed. until the end of the world was great, but i did see it on vertigo. stay was my first time.

i'm batting .500 for bad lifetime, and i'm still so surprised it appeared once in chicago so far and that's it. it was my second until the end of the world, but it never fails to be a highlight. stay was also my first time, i'd say it made my night, but given what came before it, it was the cherry on top.

i agree that nloth would be best. but magnificent was better.

i just wish the encore wasn't the same 3 predictable songs each time.

no doubt.

i kinda agree. ultraviolet is worth the price of admission alone, but it would be nice to see the encore change around a bit.

As far as the encore goes, I agree with Vazza that a different opener would be in order, though I also agree with Ian that it's not so bad now that Bono doesn't totally over-sing it. I really think MOS would go better late in the main set. Let it lead into Streets or something. Hell, MOS --> Amazing Grace snippet --> Streets would probably work.

Must admit it's amusing in a sad sort of way that the encore is now the most predictable part of the show.

Oh, and ...

I too was surprised by how popular NLOTH was at the shows I saw. That seemed to be when the crowd really came alive. Breathe would be better in a spot that doesn't require so much sustained momentum.

I had the opposite experience with Magnificent, though - first half, my mind kind of wandered sometimes, then once Edge's solo began, it had my attention fully. I think its shift to opener is better than Breathe, but it still lacks the ideal momentum for the spot.

In my ideal world, U2 would break with their cliche of opening with a new song and just come out all guns blazing into UTEOTW. UTEOTW --> NLOTH would be so awesome.

I too was surprised by how popular NLOTH was at the shows I saw. That seemed to be when the crowd really came alive. Breathe would be better in a spot that doesn't require so much sustained momentum.

I had the opposite experience with Magnificent, though - first half, my mind kind of wandered sometimes, then once Edge's solo began, it had my attention fully. I think its shift to opener is better than Breathe, but it still lacks the ideal momentum for the spot.

if you went into the show without any prior knowledge, you'd honestly think no line on the horizon was the lead single (like it fucking should have been!!).

magnificent held me for the intro up until the end of the first chorus, then i slowly came back around the solo.

speaking of solos, one thing that cracked me up in chicago was how the crowd went wild over every single guitar solo. i hadn't seen that at a u2 show before. i was zoning out a little during elevation (and, can you blame me?) and suddenly became aware of the crowd started going crazy about something and i tuned back in to realise it was the stock standard solo!

As far as the encore goes, I agree with Vazza that a different opener would be in order, though I also agree with Ian that it's not so bad now that Bono doesn't totally over-sing it. I really think MOS would go better late in the main set. Let it lead into Streets or something. Hell, MOS --> Amazing Grace snippet --> Streets would probably work.

Must admit it's amusing in a sad sort of way that the encore is now the most predictable part of the show.
I agree....see, it is just sad for me that at the point where the encore begins there are no more surprises.

if you went into the show without any prior knowledge, you'd honestly think no line on the horizon was the lead single (like it fucking should have been!!).

magnificent held me for the intro up until the end of the first chorus, then i slowly came back around the solo.

speaking of solos, one thing that cracked me up in chicago was how the crowd went wild over every single guitar solo. i hadn't seen that at a u2 show before. i was zoning out a little during elevation (and, can you blame me?) and suddenly became aware of the crowd started going crazy about something and i tuned back in to realise it was the stock standard solo!

Yeah, the only NLOTH song getting a better reception night after night is Crazy Tonight. I'm a bit disappointed Unknown Caller seems to sometimes fail to engage the audience, as I reckon it's pretty good live. Love the solo. Not so sure how I feel about the UC --> UF bit being broken; on the one hand, it was a good transition, but on the other, if it's broken in the name of playing UTEOTW/NYD/Stay and ditching Pride, I think I can get behind that.

Haha. Don't think that sort of thing happened at any of the shows I saw. Though I can't believe Elevation sort of felt exciting when it debuted in Amsterdam. For the first minute, that is. Then the usual realisation of "it's just Elevation" sunk in.

oh, fucking unknown caller, here is my rant:

why is it that when i saw UC in 3 of the 4 european countries known for having the worst english, the crowd response to the karaoke bit was hugely enthusiastic and loud and really helps carry the song and got me really into it, but in the US where everyone's supposed to be native english speakers they can't fucking read the karaoke off the screen?

alright, night guys. nice catching up with you all, i've been super busy (ironic, cause i don't have a job) and hopefully will know a date and country for peace corps within the next few weeks. hope you're all well, take care

Anna, I will have to treat you to cheap wax candy someday, promise.

it would be awesome, ashley. there would be a party in my mouth with sunshine and rainbows, and possibly dancing carebears.

i was thinking earlier that i'd better not ever go to the us because i'd surely come home about 20kg heavier from trying all your exciting food. my friend went to a few states a few years ago, and she could not get over the sheer size of your supermarkets.

i was thinking earlier that i'd better not ever go to the us because i'd surely come home about 20kg heavier from trying all your exciting food. my friend went to a few states a few years ago, and she could not get over the sheer size of your supermarkets.
wow, really? when een was here he said our supermarkets are about the same size as those in auckland. and sure enough, the one we went to while staying in auckland was pretty big. i wasn't in aus long enough to go to the grocery store, but i assumed it was the same.

while we have a lot of good food you can't get there, it's the same here. i miss kfc, burger king, souvlaki hut, and proper fish and chips. i think most of all i miss the fish and chips. i've never found anyone here that makes it the way it's supposed to be made. sure, i've seen places in nyc that are faithful in their preparation, but that's fucking nyc and i'm never going to live there.

Back
Top Bottom