Moment Of Surrender Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want an example of a song that the PF song sounds almost like is this one:

The U2 one goes in different directions. I'm sure you can find some country and gospel songs that go over this ground.

Thanks :wave: I get your point. I thought you didn't listen to the video before you responded.

Thanks :wave: I get your point. I thought you didn't listen to the video before you responded.

No problem. :D It's touchy for people because of the Coldplay vs. Satriani lawsuit. Everyone is looking for ripoffs because some melodies are old and used over and over again due to the fact that copyrights disappear with age and if you change small parts of the melody it becomes your own melody.

Coldplay may get away with it since so many hands are in the pot:

YouTube - Coldplay-Satriani-Verdes-Stevens Viva La Vida Plagiarism?

Dunno what people are talking about when it comes to AM Machine. maybe it's a regional thing? I've always called them that.

Anyway, this is officially my new favorite song..... so amazing! :)

Dunno what people are talking about when it comes to ATM Machine. maybe it's a regional thing? I've always called them that.

Anyway, this is officially my new favorite song..... so amazing! :)

I agree with you 100%. I'm not sure if it's a regional thing or a generational one. I didn't even realize what the issue was until I started reading some of the comments.

I've been trying to not overdue listening to the album and have been successful with the exception of this song.

Bono's vocals are amazing- I haven't heard him sing like that since Rattle and Hum- that full-throated raw. A great track.

Far and away the best song they've written. Nothing comes close. Time will solidify this fact.

As far as ATM Machine goes, I've said that before—and heard it many many times by other people. Pretty common IMO.

amazing song!!! i almost don't believe that tehy did this in 1 take? Fucking genius! If they can do this in one take, then why teh hell did tey need 4,5 years to record this album!!?!?!?.
Lyrics great too, except:
"I was punching in the numbers at the ATM machine
I could see in the reflection
A face staring back at me"

amazing song!!! i almost don't believe that tehy did this in 1 take? Fucking genius! If they can do this in one take, then why teh hell did tey need 4,5 years to record this album!!?!?!?.
Lyrics great too, except:
"I was punching in the numbers at the ATM machine
I could see in the reflection
A face staring back at me"

I respect your opinion but this is actually one of my favorite lyrics on the entire record. Bono is at his best when he tells stories through symbolic, but concrete, details ("I dreamed that I saw Dali / with a supermarket trolley") and I think his writing suffers a bit when he writes in broad, vague strokes ("stand up for your love")

I read an advance review, where the critic panned the "ATM machine" line because it seemed like a forced attempt to sound modern. I was worried too, until I heard the actual song. The way Bono sings it -- with a southern twang -- makes the ATM actually sound old-fashioned, and it just fits perfectly IMO.

I respect your opinion but this is actually one of my favorite lyrics on the entire record.

But isn't that just great about the U2 fanbase?
There are so many different opinions on the songs, or even albums or whatever they have been and are doing. Every fan has his/her own personal favourites...

as for the atm machine, in the uk we call them "cashpoints" which would just not work! lol

Now on my 3rd repeat of this track, 7 mins is too short! dunno why I want this song at my funeral! lol
One,WOWY,Stay,LIB,AIWIY,Bad are now sulking with the new arrival of a classic U2 ballad :)

Just had a thought for a radio edit...how about the gospelly bits actually done by a full gospel choir? ...ok thats going back to R&H SHFWILF I guess but could work! but so used to as it is now would we like it? was thinking what your taking away to shorten it for radio could "add" to it with a gospel choir..

i heard that moment of surrender is one of the four songs, that was recorded in one take!?!!? does anyone here know which other 3 songs? sorry, bit off-topic but didnt wanna start a newtopic again...

i heard that moment of surrender is one of the four songs, that was recorded in one take!?!!? does anyone here know which other 3 songs? sorry, bit off-topic but didnt wanna start a newtopic again...

Bono talks about this in the Zane Lowe BBC interview. Now remember this is the music that was done in one take. Vocals were finalized later but Edge did say that Bono had much of the melody ideas for MOS in that take. The other songs were NLOTH, Unknown Caller and Being Born.

Dana

one thing about the ATM remark that saves it from being completely ridiculous is that the acronym for 'at the moment' is ATM so it kind of fits in a weird irish luck sort of way

:lock:

Sure, MOS is brilliance but we don't need another thread as a comeback to the "MOS is overrated" thread.

Bono talks about this in the Zane Lowe BBC interview. Now remember this is the music that was done in one take. Vocals were finalized later but Edge did say that Bono had much of the melody ideas for MOS in that take. The other songs were NLOTH, Unknown Caller and Being Born.

Dana

The music is almost flawless on this track, as is Bono's vocal. His best vocal since One.

Back
Top Bottom