MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anybody tell me which night the intro to One was taken from? I know that the Shine a Light bit was used in Brazil on the 2nd night, but the speech is from Argentina?! Is the whole concert a mix of bits of songs from all the South American shows, or are they complete songs?

Cheers, thought so!
Also, most of the close-ups were filmed in an empty stadium i'm led to believe. That must have been strange, miming to a live song!

chrissybaby said:
Cheers, thought so!
Also, most of the close-ups were filmed in an empty stadium i'm led to believe. That must have been strange, miming to a live song!

I don't think they did any of that with U23D, but there's plenty of precedent for doing shots in an empty stadium, McCartney and the Stones both did it for the videos of their 'comeback' tours of 1989/90 (sadly, the Stones film was brilliant, and Maccas was awful, though the tours themselves were the reverse of that).

tommycharles said:
I don't think they did any of that with U23D

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2008/0222/catherineowensinterview.html

From an interview with Catherine Owens :

Then the band also gave us what we called a 'phantom shoot' where we took 10 of the songs out of the 26 that we were recording and did all our close-ups. Really the reason why we did that was because the band don't really like to have cameras on-stage when they're performing in front of an audience. They don't really think it's fair on their audiences.

So that 'Phantom shoot' was done behind closed doors?
Yeah it was done in a stadium but without an audience present. It was done the day before the Argentina gigs.

I just got back from seeing the film tonight - twice! Watched it once, loved it, so I went out and got a ticket for the next showing.

I thought it was absolutely brilliant - it completely bowled me over with the first viewing so I had to see it again. I'm now just wondering whether I can convince my husband that I need to see it again.

Actually, I do need to see it again. I only saw it at a normal cinema, and I need to see it at an IMAX!

Oh, and I meant to say - I cried when 'Pride' started. Actually wept - I just felt so proud of this band and this film, and so full of emotion, and when those opening chords started I was completely overcome.

chrissybaby said:
Can anybody tell me which night the intro to One was taken from? I know that the Shine a Light bit was used in Brazil on the 2nd night, but the speech is from Argentina?! Is the whole concert a mix of bits of songs from all the South American shows, or are they complete songs?

From what I've read, each song was filmed in it's entirety in that city. Just different songs from different cities. Not bits.
So if the intro to ONE began in Argentina, it was all done there.
I believe that was from an interview with Catherine Owens, but I didn't save them all.. :wink:

Edited to say: It's in the article posted above my Miringeltje.
Catherine Owens:
Unlike other live shows which have been recorded, it isn't one single show.
No it's seven shows recorded in South America. We brought them together from seven different shows. The only definite thing is that each song is a song from a particular show. In other words if Bono's saying 'Hey Mexico', that whole song is from Mexico, all the crowd are Mexicans, etc. So we've tried to give each song its own identity, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had an issue with finding that this movie is being shunted around from time to time at the local theater? I'm going to make attempt #2 to see it tonight, and I just went online to double-check shoing times and have discovered that it is NOT showing at a theater, when in fact that theater has it advertised that it should be showing there!

I'm wondering if the lack of available times and theaters is having a negative effect on more people seeing it. Or if those of us who are fans will do whatever it takes to see it wherever and whenever it shows! :)

I just saw it last night and I loved it. The only things I didn't like were that it wasn't loud enough and it seemed like Bono's voice was buried in the mix. Did anyone else notice Bono's voice being buried in the mix? The setlist could've been better too. They left out City of Blinding Lights. But, I loved the movie. It felt like they were right in front of me.

MrPryck2U said:
I just saw it last night and I loved it. The only things I didn't like were that it wasn't loud enough and it seemed like Bono's voice was buried in the mix. Did anyone else notice Bono's voice being buried in the mix? The setlist could've been better too. They left out City of Blinding Lights. But, I loved the movie. It felt like they were right in front of me.

Yeah, it wasn't all that loud for me. I was looking forward to hearing it in cinema surround sound :(

Great video nontheless :rockon:

sue4u2 said:

Catherine Owens:
Unlike other live shows which have been recorded, it isn't one single show.
No it's seven shows recorded in South America. We brought them together from seven different shows. The only definite thing is that each song is a song from a particular show. In other words if Bono's saying 'Hey Mexico', that whole song is from Mexico, all the crowd are Mexicans, etc. So we've tried to give each song its own identity, if that makes sense.

Mrs. Owens is wrong. (The director, wrong? yeah, maybe!)

Streets begins in Brazil then continues in Argentina...

victor_f said:

Mrs. Owens is wrong. (The director, wrong? yeah, maybe!)

Streets begins in Brazil then continues in Argentina...

I agree with you.

That doesn't happen only in Streets, it happens in other songs also.

MrPryck2U said:
I just saw it last night and I loved it. The only things I didn't like were that it wasn't loud enough and it seemed like Bono's voice was buried in the mix. Did anyone else notice Bono's voice being buried in the mix?

Yes. EXACTLY. However only when I saw it in the non-Imax version. Everytime I saw it non-Imax his voice was loud and clear and he sounded great. But both times now non-Imax he was burried. Sometimes almost difficult to hear at all. I guessed that it was just the lesser sound system in those theatres, but it's really too bad.

bonocomet said:

Yes. EXACTLY. However only when I saw it in the non-Imax version. Everytime I saw it non-Imax his voice was loud and clear and he sounded great. But both times now non-Imax he was burried. Sometimes almost difficult to hear at all. I guessed that it was just the lesser sound system in those theatres, but it's really too bad.

Thanks! My friend told me that the way the movie sounded ruined it for him. But, we only saw it on a non-IMAX theatre. Seeing the movie in IMAX would've involved going into the city and spending way more money.

PS: I thought my friend was being a little too dramatic when he said the sound ruined the movie for him. I thought the sound was OK but it could've been better. I enjoyed the experience non-the-less.

MrPryck2U said:

Thanks! My friend told me that the way the movie sounded ruined it for him. But, we only saw it on a non-IMAX theatre. Seeing the movie in IMAX would've involved going into the city and spending way more money.

PS: I thought my friend was being a little too dramatic when he said the sound ruined the movie for him. I thought the sound was OK but it could've been better. I enjoyed the experience non-the-less.

Well, if you have only seen it that way, it's probably ok, but I got spoiled on the Imax I guess. It was better in a lot more ways than just the sound. The visual was unbelievably superior in the Imax. The colors for one were so much brighter, I found the non Imax to be very dark, again though, you may not notice if that's all you have seen. If you can see it in Imax and you enjoyed it non-Imax, you ought to go see the Imax. It's worth it.

ramblin rose said:

I agree with you.

That doesn't happen only in Streets, it happens in other songs also.

The intro to ONE is also a mix of 2 nights... Brazil, then Argentina...

The director should know better than to pull the wool over our eyes....

On my second viewing of this film it became pretty obvious that much of it was filmed in an empty stadium. Nearly all of WOWY, I think...

chrissybaby said:

The intro to ONE is also a mix of 2 nights... Brazil, then Argentina...

The director should know better than to pull the wool over our eyes....

On my second viewing of this film it became pretty obvious that much of it was filmed in an empty stadium. Nearly all of WOWY, I think...

Did I wait in line at Vertigo Seattle with you?

Yeah, it's back to only playing at the IMAX here and only at 11:30pm.

I guess 10,000 BC has taken over the theaters.

just saw the non-IMAX version for the first time (after seeing it twice on 2 different IMAX theatres)

I noticed an added scene in the movie (I didn't see this mentioned yet, unless I missed it)

but in the IMAX version that I saw there wasn't the stage hand spraying and wiping the camera lens after One and before The Fly.

anyone else notice that?

I thought that the image was a lot more sharp that the IMAX version but obviously the scale was smaller. I was glad to see that the sound was very good (at my local cinema in Mountain View, CA) and the theatre was packed!

bort269 said:
just saw the non-IMAX version for the first time (after seeing it twice on 2 different IMAX theatres)

I noticed an added scene in the movie (I didn't see this mentioned yet, unless I missed it)

but in the IMAX version that I saw there wasn't the stage hand spraying and wiping the camera lens after One and before The Fly.

anyone else notice that?

Are you sure you didn't just miss it the first time somehow? I saw it many times in IMAX, and a few times non Imax, at different theatres and that scene was always there, same exact movie in Imax and non Imax.

Also the Imax versions were always much better in picture and sound quality, for sure.

Funny thing is I didn't notice that scene in the IMAX (5x) either but did see it in the regular 3d theater (1x). I think in the IMAX I was probably too focused on other things and didn't notice it.

ramblin rose said:
Funny thing is I didn't notice that scene in the IMAX (5x) either but did see it in the regular 3d theater (1x). I think in the IMAX I was probably too focused on other things and didn't notice it.

hmm... glad to see that I'm not smoking too much crack!

I don't want to start another U23D thread, so I'll ask here...
Can color-blind people see the 3D FX, or will the movie be just a blur to them...?

Well, I must be the last Inferencer in the U.S. to see this movie! I went last night and yes, it is as wonderful as I had hoped it would be. This was the fourth week at the Multiplex in Farmingdale, NY, but I was glad to see that there were about 15 people at my 8:15 pm showing...I figured most of the L.I. fans have seen it by now!

As a PLEBA girl, my favorite moment was when Bono kissed Adam during "Streets."

Yes, I would have loved to have heard "City of Blinding Light," which is a big favorite of mine. But those effects...seeing the microphone stand looking close enough to touch...looking over the shoulders of fans taking pictures with their cell phones...amazing. Just amazing.

I loved how they snuck a little extra footage into the credits for us fans who stayed through them!

It was a wonderful present for us fans. Thank you, U2. Again.

Back
Top Bottom