MERGED --> U2 3D REVIEWS + Back from a U2 3D screening... + U23D - **Spoiler Alert**

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Muldfeld said:
I don't know if anyone's said this, but both a non-prescription glasses wearing-friend and I (who wears prescription glasses) noticed slight double images during the concert film. Not on all shots, but half the time, toward the edge of an image, we could see 2 edges because the overlapping was out of visual synch or something.

Hmmm, I've seen it four times and haven't experienced that. What type of 3d glasses did the theater use? I wonder if there's a difference depending on the glasses. The IMAX in Dallas uses those large plastic type Fly looking ones.

Good news everyone!

The San Francisco Metreon is smart and is keeping U23D on IMAX starting friday for their last show of the day! (11:15pm fri/sat/sun and 10pm next week)
http://www.fandango.com/u23d_113322/movietimes?date=2/21/2008

no U2ness for VD though, so tomorrow you'll have to do without 6-story-tall Larry!

bort269 said:

tomorrow is the last day for U23D on IMAX in the Bay Area :(

due to The Spiderwick Chronicles coming out on IMAX thursday:

http://www.fandango.com/thespiderwi...times?location=San Leandro, CA&date=2/14/2008

how that is a better valentine's day movie than U23D I will never understand :confused:

ramblin rose said:

Hmmm, I've seen it four times and haven't experienced that. What type of 3d glasses did the theater use? I wonder if there's a difference depending on the glasses. The IMAX in Dallas uses those large plastic type Fly looking ones.
I don't know. They were huge and encapsulated my glasses; the description you gave sounds about right. Maybe it was the cheap design. I changed my pair a few songs in, but it made no difference.

Thanks for getting back to me. Maybe it was the venue.
edurban said:
two edges :drool:
:lol: I assure it wasn't anything as orgasmic as that. It basically looked like the edge of someone's arm was glowing red and blue. So it was obviously an imperfect overlap of red and blue that was to create the 3-D effect, you know?

I went to the final showing at my Imax tonight. I'd asked for posters before and was told NO. So on my way out tonight I figured it was the final show, it was late and pretty quiet there, why not ask again.... came away with hats, t-shirts and the giant yellow and black vinyl sticker poster! :drool:

Sevikins said:
Hey, stupid question, but does anyone know how long U23D is running in the theaters? And would the dates vary from state to state, or is it universal so to speak?
I'm guessing it would vary. It's still showing in Toronto and it was uncomfortably packed a week into it running, so I'm sure it's still drawing crowds, while the poster above states the film has left her/his cinema. I'm sure it will vary from location to location like any film.

bonocomet said:
I went to the final showing at my Imax tonight. I'd asked for posters before and was told NO. So on my way out tonight I figured it was the final show, it was late and pretty quiet there, why not ask again.... came away with hats, t-shirts and the giant yellow and black vinyl sticker poster! :drool:

damn... that is awesome!

those round yellow and black vinyl sticker posters were really cool!

It's pretty cool, really thick heavy duty vinyl because it's meant to stick on the floor. There's the hat too.

u23dvinylstickerhat.jpg

Re: Just back from a U2 3D screening...

skott100 said:
I'm just back from a press screening here in San Francisco. I belive my jaw is still on the floor back at the IMAX.

I will attempt a quick "review", and I use that term lightly, with a few brief thoughts... I mean other than "holy shit!" and "wow!" and "oh my GOD" that is...

Catherine Owens, you are the Eno/Lanois of U2 visually. You "get" them like no one else and as far as I'm concerned, no one belongs behind a camera crew at a U2 show other than you from now on. Paul McGuinness, get her an office at Principal. Buy her a plane. Set her up next door to the band in the south of France with a villa. Do what ever you have to do.

The people of Argentina, you are the stars of the show. Thank you for your enthusiasm. It's never been more clear how much the crowd has to do with a breakthrough U2 performance than in this movie. U2 fans around the world owe you a debt of gratitude for making this movie and this performance one of... no... THE best U2 live concert film of all time. That's right. I said it.

No one looks cooler 10 stories tall than Adam Clayton.

Bono's voice was as strong as I've ever heard it.

The audio mix constantly catches you by surprise and you'll hear things in the music that you've never heard before. And the 3D... it's such a cliche to say "you feel like you're there" but really, that's what the 3D brings to the show. So now we can all feel what it would be like to literally stand on stage with the band. Not to mention fly over them.

The opening sequence is a great tribute to us, the fans. No slow motion "band walking on stage" footage. For everyone who's ever gotten there early and made the mad dash to a great spot on the floor... you'll feel that rush all over again.

I don't want to spoil any shots for anyone but I will say Larry fans are in for a treat. Music gear nerds are in for a treat. And "The Fly" is like nothing you've ever seen before. Simply astonishing.

U2 3D is the definitive U2 live concert film. Period. They nailed it folks. It's done. This is it.

This is the best review so far that I've read. I have to agree with everything you said.

Just back from seeing it in Boston, Aquarium IMAX. Unbelievable, technology, band, crowd, get to see it all up close. Did anyone else think this was one of the strongest performances of Pride since the 1980s?

just asked! It was supposedly their last showing (although they are still playing it late at night) so I just thought I'd ask the manager. He brought out a handful of stuff, gave some to the guy (employee) who was taking tickets and some to me and my kids. We just got lucky!

saw it for the third time last nite in dc at a 5:45pm show and the place was sold out.. In fact me and my hubby, son and two friends all had to sit seperately... I think the movie is doing pretty damn well for a very limited release and few showing per day... Everytime I have been the place was always completely full. Most of these imax theaters have a 300 to 400+ capacity compared to the smaller theaters..

Just wait till it gets the wide release in digital theaters.. I can bet ya the numbers are gonna go thru the roof.. The digital theaters are all over the place so more access to more people and more showings per day...

Hannah Montana who???

:hyper: :yippie: :hyper:

I am finally GOING TO SEE IT!
been :mad: stuck with an extra unexpected 'obligation' for the past 2 weeks and had NO TIME to get there.

tonight's the last showing on the Imax screen here in NYC.

I can't wait to finally really read this thread, too!:hi5:

TTFN :D

U2Fanatic4ever said:
saw it for the third time last nite in dc at a 5:45pm show and the place was sold out.. In fact me and my hubby, son and two friends all had to sit seperately... I think the movie is doing pretty damn well for a very limited release and few showing per day... Everytime I have been the place was always completely full. Most of these imax theaters have a 300 to 400+ capacity compared to the smaller theaters..

Just wait till it gets the wide release in digital theaters.. I can bet ya the numbers are gonna go thru the roof.. The digital theaters are all over the place so more access to more people and more showings per day...

Hannah Montana who???

I saw no less than 10 commercials this morning on VH1 for U23D.
Jump started my morning.
Out local theater had it up for the 15th then pushed out to the 22nd now it's not listed at all.
A nearby city had it listed for the 17th (last night) but when I tried to order tickets it said tickets unavailable. :huh:
I fired off an email to ask them to please update their site so we will know for sure when tickets are available.
Honestly, what is the f'ing problem. :mad:
I just want to see this movie dammit..

Well, I'm sure I can't say anything that anybody else hasn't said, but WOW, that was terrific! Saw one of the last Seattle Center shows tonight, and boy, are those tickets hard to come by! Couldn't get in Saturday night -- all sold out. And they sold out tonight as well.

The guy at the ticket booth says he doesn't expect to see the show come back, but I hope that's just misinformation. It's a huge hit here, and I'm sure if they have another run in a year or two, they'll sell out lots more shows.

I looooooved the crowd shots -- the Argentinians really know how to get into a show.

The whole thing was just sensational. I haven't been listening to U2 that much lately, but U23D is one way to quickly fall back in love with the band. Now finish that new album and go back on tour, dammit!

Last edited:
I think U23D will do really well next week since this past weekend (even while sharing IMAX screens with Spiderwick Chronicles) it still got second place on the per-theatre charts!

"Jodhaa Akbar opened on top of the per theater averages chart with an estimated $1.3 million opening 100 theaters. The only other member of the $10,000 club was U2 3D with an average of $10,198 during its fourth week of release. "
http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/newsStory.php?newsID=3208

for its 4th week, that ain't too shabby!

Especially since over the 3-day weekend Hannah Montana had a per screen average of only $4,764 (and that wasn't just 1 show a night)

It's here , it's here , U23d has finally made it to New Mexico . :yippie:
it will only be showing twice a day 8:00 pm and 10:00pm shows :eyebrow: I'm not sure but they must be showing Hanna during the day .

can't go till tomorrow . :sad:

SeattleVertigo said:
The guy at the ticket booth says he doesn't expect to see the show come back, but I hope that's just misinformation. It's a huge hit here, and I'm sure if they have another run in a year or two, they'll sell out lots more shows.

FYI, I just saw it's now playing at Pacific Place at one of the "Real-D" or whatever they call the non-IMAX version. :)

75% awesome. I just got back from it, and... 3D effects? Brilliant. Larry? Brilliant. Adam? Brilliant. Edge? Brilliant.

Bono? Awful. I wanted so bad to think this was amazing but his voice is shot in this. It really is. He hits some good notes (Sarajevo, Beautiful Day, Sometimes... the usual places), but overall, when he's not having a "big moment", it's just bad. It was no sweat to mix and match the film clips, surely we could have had sound from a show where Bono was in better shape?

Just a thought. But it's a good show regardless.

T

Great show, a shame they ended with Yahweh, not All I Want Is You.

My only complaint is that the theater I was at, could have been louder.

I loved it! You can bet I'll see it as much as I can.

Thank you U2!

:rockon:

Back
Top Bottom