MERGED-->Kids at shows question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a teacher and I know how teachers get really touchy about kids out of the classroom for "nonessential" reasons. Therefore, I told my daughter she couldn't say anything. It is our secret. I know I'm terrible, but who gives a sh*t. I can teacher her more in two days than she could learn in school in two weeks!

Good luck lila64 can't wait to hear from you.

faithingrace said:
I'm a teacher and I know how teachers get really touchy about kids out of the classroom for "nonessential" reasons. Therefore, I told my daughter she couldn't say anything. It is our secret. I know I'm terrible, but who gives a sh*t. I can teacher her more in two days than she could learn in school in two weeks!

Good luck lila64 can't wait to hear from you.

Nonessential, shmonessential! It'll be fabulous and an awesome memory. So she's out of school for a few days...big whoop.

GO CRAZY! :hyper:

for those of you who saw lots of kids in the ellipse... what was the youngest age you think you saw? My daughter is 4 1/2 and wants to go. I'm not so sure about it. What do you think?

BethM said:
for those of you who saw lots of kids in the ellipse... what was the youngest age you think you saw? My daughter is 4 1/2 and wants to go. I'm not so sure about it. What do you think?

I'm taking a 6 year old but she is really well behaved and easy going, also she is 4' tall. But I am still really nervous and since my husband couldn't go I got my 6'2" dad to go, so I feel alittle better. I think if I had seats I would have no concerns except hearing, which earplugs can take care of.

BTW I should proof read my posts, my students would have my head, it should have read: I can teach her more in 2 days...:ohmy:

I am a teacher myself!!! I teach second grade and I even told my kids what I did this weekend!!!!!

I said, "You know..that song, HELLO, HELLO? I am at..."

They thought it was cool.

I agree about teaching more myself than what they could learn at school as well.

I ENVY YOU... I am less than 72 hours from the concert Sat, and I already am itching to go again...

Only 2 1/2 weeks till Atlanta 1!!!

Oh, I saw several kids like I menentioned, and the youngest was about 8 or 9.

:) Again, they have the confetti to keep them entertained.

OK parents in the Ellipse in LA (I talked to some of you last night - thank God my ticket beeped!!!), did you get beeped in or automatically granted entry? When I took my 11 yr old in Seattle (and you know how that turned out:yes:) his ticket beeped but they didn't look like they were doing any automatic entry then so we were just lucky. We're taking Jason and his 9 yr sister into GA in Oakland, so we're really depending on getting a pass into the Ellipse.

Ok...ask away.

We got to Staples Center on Tuesday night (we had seats). We got there early to try & meet up with interferencers (which we did, but just barely). We watched from outside to see if they got scanned, etc. We went back to our hotel room, unloaded, and got ready for the show. We go back into the same entrance as the GA area entry. We try & watch some of the people coming in after 7:00pm-ish to see if they got scanned, etc. Not a lot of people coming. We try to talk to the people at the scanning area. There was one woman who was with U2 (the rest were venue people I believe). I was trying to feel out for info. She said kids were automatically allowed in and I didn't have to worry. But of course I wanted to be on the rail in the ellipse, so we continued with our plan to try & get into the line in the morning as early as WE could, as I'm not a morning person. We didn't end up getting to bed until after 1:00am. We determined that we'd set the alarm for 6:30, get ready & packed up and go over (across the street) and park & get set up. We get in line, we are numbers 63-65 (there are 3 of us, I put my friend (U2Fanatic4Ever) on the list who would be arriving later). A small number of people apparently had gotten on the list the night before right after the show.

So we sit and wait all day, meet people, walk around, snack, nap, etc. Doors are supposed to open at 6:00, but didn't open and start moving til 6:15. At Staples Center, the U2.com line (which never required any proof) had 2 turnstiles to go thru; the regular GA had 1. My 11-year old (who is small) gives them her ticket. My friend says she thinks they scanned hers differently. I don't know. All I saw was that it said 'proceed to the floor'. I was starting to panic, thinking I was going to have to find someone and start crying/begging. I was next, then my friend. I had them my ticket, and it says U2VERTIGO. I couldn't believe my eyes. I don't know if Maddy's scan triggered mine, or if it was just my lucky ticket. That part we may never know. We proceeded to the next table calmly, got our wristbands, then went (kinda running) into the lobby/aisle to get to the floor and then we screamed. The whole night we couldn't believe that we had made it. There was still a few rail spots left on Adam's side, so we grabbed them, and planted ourselves there for the rest of the night.

So... is it automatic - that's what U2 people/staff say. I don't know. Part of me wants to think I had a lucky ticket, part of me thinks it was my daughter. But it was the best concert ever. Adam was very happy and smiling at us all night. I'm still on cloud 9 :drunk:

:hug:

By the way, if you were there... if you saw an occasional pink/magenta light stick being waved in front of Adam, well, that was MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :rockon:

Verrrrry Cool. Now I am thinking of how to score two more GAs for my two Atlanta shows coming up (2weeks from TONIGHT) and take my daughter again!!!!

Great story.

CRAP!!! I'm still nervous, if your daughter's ticket had scanned automatically I would be on cloud nine but there is still some concern in my mind. Oh, well I can't control anything so I will just go and try not to worry. Glad you got in and had a great time!

jd45177 said:
Do you think a 16 yr old, 5"11" boy would fall in the "Automatic Entry" category?

Unless you can make him look younger - I doubt it. Make him wear clothes that are too big for him, and make him talk like he doesn't quite have a grasp of English yet, you could just say he has giant's blood.

I took my nine year old daughter the first night in Los Angeles....and a woman pulled us aside before we scanned and said that we were automatic.

When I took my twelve year old son the next night...I had to ask someone who was in charge and still got in... In any case, just make sure that if some employee is saying that you can't...look for someone who is actually in charge....and they'll pull you through.

The first night we we're inside up against stage and it was just unforgettable...amazing...:drool: :drool: :drool:

The second night we were just a few people back...still incredible!!

Hmmm, now I wonder if the scan on Jason's ticket was somehow different (overridden?) since it was his that got us in. I guess we'll see in Oakland....

Btw, I don't really think its necessary to line up early for a good spot inside (assuming the kid gets you in). The night Jason got pulled up we went in around 7pm and camped out one person in from the rail. All I had to do was hold him up and Bono noticed him right away. For LA 2 (just the adults) we went in after Damian Marley finished and were like 5 rows back from The Edge. We could have had a simialr spot one person in from the rail and there were a couple spots still left on the front rail at the end.

I am going with my 13 year old nephew to Tampa and I am hoping that we get scanned in. I still can't decide if he will enjoy the show more from up front near the main stage or at the back of the shelter. For those that have been in with their kids did you enjoy where you were at or would you change your location if given another chance?

u2gator

jd45177 said:
Do you think a 16 yr old, 5"11" boy would fall in the "Automatic Entry" category?

No - not really.

And tryan - when we got in, there wasn't much raill left, thus we took the spot we had in front of Adam (whew!!!). A few people came in right after us, who had lined up early. A woman was near us, 2nd row and I believe she showed up about 5:00pm. So in theory, you don't necessarily have to line up early (if kids are automatic) but we wanted the rail. So we lined up and gave it a shot and it paid off. And we were hoping he'd come by and pick Maddy (my daughter) up during SBS, but no kid that night. John (Bono's security) had walked by us, and we tried to get his attention, but it just didn't happen. I do believe he saw us, but maybe Bono just wasn't in the mood or something, who knows. I wouldn't have traded my spot for any other in the whole building, except maybe more towards the center of the rail, LOL.

And Westport - no one pulled us aside, they let us scan. But as I said, the night before a U2 staff person told us she would be automatic. The woman had short brown hair. When they were changing the stage after D.Marley's set, she was also up there helping tear it down....

<<<<off to work now...

tryan101 said:
Hmmm, now I wonder if the scan on Jason's ticket was somehow different (overridden?) since it was his that got us in. I guess we'll see in Oakland....

Btw, I don't really think its necessary to line up early for a good spot inside (assuming the kid gets you in). The night Jason got pulled up we went in around 7pm and camped out one person in from the rail. All I had to do was hold him up and Bono noticed him right away. For LA 2 (just the adults) we went in after Damian Marley finished and were like 5 rows back from The Edge. We could have had a simialr spot one person in from the rail and there were a couple spots still left on the front rail at the end.

Which Oakland are you going to? I'm 11/8.

u2gator said:
I am going with my 13 year old nephew to Tampa and I am hoping that we get scanned in. I still can't decide if he will enjoy the show more from up front near the main stage or at the back of the shelter. For those that have been in with their kids did you enjoy where you were at or would you change your location if given another chance?

u2gator

Upfront at the mainstage!!! You'll never want to leave.

u2gator said:

u2gator

I recommend hanging back. Unless you're at the very front rail, the kid wont see anything, unless he's really tall. There's so much room at the back to move around and adjust their line of sight so they can actually see the show. I've been in the Ellipse and Heart about 8 times (on the front rail, in the middle and in the back, with and without kids), and I would readily trade 20 or 30 feet of closeness for room, air and freedom, especially with kids. Plus you can come and go as you like, without having to line up or worry about losing your spot. IMHO.

I've only been in the ellipse this one time and with my kid. And if didn't get front row rail - I have no idea what we would have done...probably try hanging out in the back of the ellipse which would have been a front row when they came out to the ellipse. Dunno.... :shrug:

I couldn't see in other directions, hehehee. I know there were other kids. We had lined up at 7:00am. But later in the day, probably after school let out, we did notice two boys in the regular GA line with their Dad. And at some point while we were on the rail, we noticed a very small/young boy wandering. And there was a lady there during the day with a baby that had a t-shirt made up in glitter writing that said 'Achtung Baby'. I thought she was gonna have a babysitter by the time the doors opened. Sure enough, she was in the ellipse holding said baby. So there were other kids in the ellipse. On the outer GA floor - I have no idea... Keep me posted!!!

I'm pretty sure you will be okay - but I understand how you feel, as I felt the same way up until the time we scanned.

:hug:

Lila64 said:
And there was a lady there during the day with a baby that had a t-shirt made up in glitter writing that said 'Achtung Baby'. I thought she was gonna have a babysitter by the time the doors opened. Sure enough, she was in the ellipse holding said baby.
Oh my! :yikes: That sounds really dangerous. I don't know the first thing about medicine or healthcare, but I would think that exposing an infant to super-high levels of decibels could cause serious damage.

A baby! I thought I was crazy taking my 6 year old.

I told my daughter not to tell her teacher she was going to a U2 concert, that it was a secret. Bless her heart, when her teacher asked her why she was going to be gone two days she said she was going to a concert but it was a secret! She's so sweet, she said, "Mommy I didn't tell her it was a U2 concert.":wink:

cleazer said:
Oh my! :yikes: That sounds really dangerous. I don't know the first thing about medicine or healthcare, but I would think that exposing an infant to super-high levels of decibels could cause serious damage.

That baby had earphones on, but I still thought it was totally inappropriate. That baby had no say in the matter, and was certainly not there by choice. I think the mom was more interested in making a statement and using her baby as an accessory. I certainly encourage bringing kids to shows when done responsibly, but this was wrong on every level.

this is such an interesting topic for me, having just brought my 9 year old to a show for the first time! He really didn't want to go if it was to be GA. I don't know if it would have been different had I been able (didn't know about this possible automatic pass for kids policy!) to say he had a good chance of getting up into the 'bomb shelter';I suspect he would have still wanted a seat. Not that he sat in his for too long though! So, if I had dragged him to GA it would have been dragging indeed, and what I wanted was to let him have this new experience, and share the show with him.
Its my 5 year old daughter who is the more serious U2 fan, and who would have probably loved being on the floor! She loves to dance as well, so it would have been a blast with her...but I was worried about her ears. I think now that I know what it's like she would be fine as long as we were in the back of any crowds, either elipse or general GA, and that perhaps not seeing wouldn't have been that big a deal for her at this age, just having the chance to dance would have been cool for her! I promised I'd take her next tour, but wherever we'd be I'd need for her to feel safe since I just couldn't hold her for real long!
In Detroit there seemed to me to be far fewer kids than I saw in Chicago in May, and when I was on the floor on the 24th I only saw a couple older (maybe 10 -12 years old or so) kids coming back from the front of the GA floor looking rather zonked and hot and disheartened. I'd not want to have a kid there I think.
The next night when I took my son and had seats I think I saw maybe 4 or so other kids in the venue in my travels, all looked to be late elementary to early middle school age.

cheers all and good luck to those bringing children!

tryan101 said:

That baby had earphones on, but I still thought it was totally inappropriate. That baby had no say in the matter, and was certainly not there by choice. I think the mom was more interested in making a statement and using her baby as an accessory. I certainly encourage bringing kids to shows when done responsibly, but this was wrong on every level.

I have to agree with you there. I had seen that mom and baby over waiting by the meet & greet area earlier in the day. That situation calls for a babysitter!

Best of luck to all those still going to upcoming concerts. Take the kids! Take earplugs, just in case. Better to be prepared than not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom