LP13 There is no album - only lies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit this "Be There" song is fucking doin' it for me... kinda reminds me of Jane's Addiction "I Would For You". They should bring this one back. It could be that elusive #1 hit they been looking for.

There are other demos and bootlegs on the channel where Be There is from. Worth checking out in case you've missed some of them like I did.

I see what you mean about I Would For You, it's a good song that.

Oh and also while TUF is on my mind, any Bass Trap fans in here? I don't think it has a place on the album but man is it beautiful, peaceful, atmospheric, love it.

I still hope that they one day let the 'Bono' version of The Wanderer out of the vault.

Totally agreed.

Oh and also while TUF is on my mind, any Bass Trap fans in here? I don't think it has a place on the album but man is it beautiful, peaceful, atmospheric, love it.

Bass Trap is a top thirty U2 song for me, and I think it absolutely has a place on the album, replacing 4th of July. It's a perfect bridge between Promenade and Bad, doing the job much better than 4th of July does.

IMO 4th of July is the perfect bad trip before Bad starts. It's the sound of someone high as fuck and just...far off somewhere. Bass Trip could be like the happy high though. 4th of July is like a near-overdose, and Bad is the junkie's realization he has to stop.

Totally agreed.

Bass Trap is a top thirty U2 song for me, and I think it absolutely has a place on the album, replacing 4th of July. It's a perfect bridge between Promenade and Bad, doing the job much better than 4th of July does.

Interesting. I need to try to do some of these "custom albums" that you guys talk about, haven't really done it before but I feel like it could be a fun exercise especially for things like TUF, Joshua Tree (we now essentially have a double album JT) and Zooropa. I'll have to listen to 4th of July and Bass Trap back to back and see what I think. I'll definitely check out that 4th of July substitute.

Bass Trap probably gives me some of the best imagery of any U2 song I can think of, I really loved how much they experimented with atmosphere on TUF. Some great stuff, analogous to even some indie stuff I feel like I hear today.

Interesting. I need to try to do some of these "custom albums" that you guys talk about, haven't really done it before but I feel like it could be a fun exercise especially for things like TUF, Joshua Tree (we now essentially have a double album JT) and Zooropa. I'll have to listen to 4th of July and Bass Trap back to back and see what I think.

Bass Trap probably gives me some of the best imagery of any U2 song I can think of, I really loved how much they experimented with atmosphere on TUF. Some great stuff, analogous to even some indie stuff I feel like I hear today.

Thanks to this forum, I've made custom versions of all the albums over the years. We've had a few threads for them in EYKIW. As I wrote earlier, I generally set a rule that a song must have existed in time to have actually been included on the album when it was released, otherwise you're just making a mixtape, but other people have applied different or looser criteria. Some of the albums I think you can really improve (despite my dislike for ATYCLB, I don't mind my alternate version of it), while others I find a bit of a struggle (I've never been able to create an alternate Pop that I'm really happy with; there's always a point or two where no transition seems good).

The eighties are generally the most fun because of the wealth of b-sides you have to work with. You can actually make a pretty decent album just out of UF/JT era b-sides and non-album tracks. Here's my one:

1. The Three Sunrises
2. Spanish Eyes
3. Boomerang II
4. Rise Up
5. Love Comes Tumbling
6. Luminous Times (Hold On to Love)
7. Rowena's Theme
8. Bass Trap
9. Race Against Time
10. Heroine
11. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come

The first half is a bit more immediate, to hook the listener in, while the second half really develops the textural side of the era's music with a collection of really pretty, irresistible soundscapes. There are a couple of really big omissions but it's just to suit my personal taste - I don't like Walk to the Water or Sweetest Thing, and Silver and Gold just didn't fit with the feel of the rest of the album.

That's a pretty fine B sides album Axver. I like it. And I can understand you not liking Sweetest Thing but to hear that you don't like Walk To The Water makes me sad. I love that song. Just for the ache of it for Gods sake!

A man with a suitcase
Full of things he doesn't need
I'm looking through your window
I'm walking through your doorway
I'm on the outside
Let me in
Let me love you
Let me love you
Let me...

I can understand you not liking Sweetest Thing but to hear that you don't like Walk To The Water makes me sad. I love that song. Just for the ache of it for Gods sake!

I've just found WTTW, on the whole, to be a bit plodding and tedious, with a vocal take that's too raw, raw in a way that I don't like. The song definitely has some good points, especially its lyrics, and I can see why other people dig it, but it just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I've just found WTTW, on the whole, to be a bit plodding and tedious, with a vocal take that's too raw, raw in a way that I don't like. The song definitely has some good points, especially its lyrics, and I can see why other people dig it, but it just doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I see where you are coming from and especially about the rawness of the vocal. I think I have a strange way of listening to this song as I don't treat it as a normal song as such. As you say it is quite slow or plodding, but I listen to it as a kind of spoken word story/visual thing (my powers of description are weak aren't they haha) which then builds and grows into a (more normal) song and then hits you towards the end with the emotional high or ache.

For some reason I really love the lines "It was given to me by my Father, she said...it was given to me"

I apologize again for my shit descriptive powers, and hope that someone understands me lol.

I see where you are coming from and especially about the rawness of the vocal. I think I have a strange way of listening to this song as I don't treat it as a normal song as such. As you say it is quite slow or plodding, but I listen to it as a kind of spoken word story/visual thing (my powers of description are weak aren't they haha) which then builds and grows into a (more normal) song and then hits you towards the end with the emotional high or ache.

For some reason I really love the lines "It was given to me by my Father, she said...it was given to me"

I apologize again for my shit descriptive powers, and hope that someone understands me lol.

No, I see what you mean. There's a good story going on in those lyrics, and very occasionally I sort of get into that storyteller side of the song... but in general I think the era had much more enjoyable b-sides. I'd give it a revisit right now though if I weren't watching the cricket.

Sorry to interrupt a good conversation, but this seemed to go unnoticed:

*sigh* Planned delays, whoopie. (maybe everyone already knew about this project?)

Bah, carry on with the good stuff now.

Ugh, can this just not?

:drool:

God how I miss the pre-2000 U2!!

:up:

I can't remember the last time I listened to Passengers the whole way through. I must do so! Such a gorgeous piece of work! I consider it a full on U2 album. I think Brian had just as much involvement in UF and NLOTH. The only thing I skip is "Ito Okashi"... It kinda creeps me out.

I've actually pulled out Passengers for the first time in a long time and listened to it all the way through a few times. It's gorgeous and I really need to do so more often. :love:

Bass Trap is one of my favorite U2 songs, actually. Atmospheric is a perfect word to describe it. :heart:

Totally agreed.

IMO 4th of July is the perfect bad trip before Bad starts. It's the sound of someone high as fuck and just...far off somewhere. Bass Trip could be like the happy high though. 4th of July is like a near-overdose, and Bad is the junkie's realization he has to stop.

Interesting. I need to try to do some of these "custom albums" that you guys talk about, haven't really done it before but I feel like it could be a fun exercise especially for things like TUF, Joshua Tree (we now essentially have a double album JT) and Zooropa. I'll have to listen to 4th of July and Bass Trap back to back and see what I think. I'll definitely check out that 4th of July substitute.

I think I'm gonna do this as well. I haven't given it a lot of thought as to pre-JT, or even post Pop...it might be a fun 'exercise' to go through the back catalog and dig up some old B-sides. :up:

What the fuck are you talking about Bass Trip? No, Bass TRAP. And it's about 4 guys going on their annual "guys weekend" up at the lake.

And 4th of July is about some poor sap who gets bitched out by his missus because he forgot the milk on the way home from his 12-hr factory shift.

*sigh* Planned delays, whoopie. (maybe everyone already knew about this project?)

Will the album ever be released?

Hopefully, the music for this has already been made.

Yes. Yes. Fangirl moment: Edge's vocal on this version is frickin brilliant. He totally owns the performance, imo. I wish they played it that way a million times. :swoon:

Take that fangirl stuff back to PLEBA or BAGEL.... :wink:

Sorry to interrupt a good conversation, but this seemed to go unnoticed:

The guy is trying to sell the film at the moment, so of course he'd be pushing their involvement to the front of the story, when in reality it could be just one song written, one day on set to film a piece etc. Certainly doesn't mean its another Spiderman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom