Looking back... Was Milan the right choice for the DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chicago will be released.

I'm still campaigning for U2 LIVE ATOP ONE TREE HILL though. :drool:

I don't understand why they decided to film a DVD so early into the tour anyway. Surely the shows on the 3rd leg will be improved from the shows on the first leg, why didn't they wait until then to record?

sraphim said:
well we don't know if they are going to release the Chicago dvd... the only thing we know for sure is Milan. they might as well decide not to release Chicago at all... :shrug:
why the both shows are completly different, many songs from the chigago shoot have already been shown,

both will be released

i think they just seen how much people liked boston and slane rather than just boston

lady luck said:
I remember U2 played in Reggio Emilia in 1997 or 1998 in front of 150.000 people (just in ONE night -- I think this is in some guinness record book or something like that ) and Bono told the audience "you're giving these 4 irishmen a great night" or something like that,
Maybe they had really a great moment, and wanted to celebrate it.

I think the quote is that "you've given four Irish lads a night they'll never forget".

Popmart Reggio Emilia still holds the world record for the largest paying crowd to a single act without support.

Dusty Bottoms said:
I don't understand why they decided to film a DVD so early into the tour anyway. Surely the shows on the 3rd leg will be improved from the shows on the first leg, why didn't they wait until then to record?
because the 2nd leg is quite different to the 1st and 3rd

Dusty Bottoms said:

Well, Boston was first leg too.

I don't get it; they used to do their shoots later in the tour. RAH, third leg of JT. ZooTV Sydney, fifth leg. Popmart Mexico, end of third leg.

Maybe they have something new planned for the third leg? Or maybe they just wanted to capture the tour at that point in time? Who knows!

hey ladyluck!! :wave:
the Italian crowd on Interference is thickening day after day :wink:

@Neilz:
I think I read somewhere they're not sure about Chicago... but I might as well be wrong. :shrug:
yeah I'b bet on the DVD pack too, but also a single DVD release for each continent, so:
US: DVD pack + Chicago
Europe: DVD pack + Milano

Axver said:
I think the quote is that "you've given four Irish lads a night they'll never forget".

Popmart Reggio Emilia still holds the world record for the largest paying crowd to a single act without support.
There was no support act there? Strange...

Anyway... They say these things all the time though (at least, I have that feeling)... At Elevation Cologne Bono said that the crowd was the lowdest of the tour so far (louder than the US) and at Vertigo Amsterdam Bono said "Thank you Amsterdam, for 3 nighst we can never forget"...

Neilz said:

There was no support act there? Strange...

Anyway... They say these things all the time though (at least, I have that feeling)... At Elevation Cologne Bono said that the crowd was the lowdest of the tour so far (louder than the US) and at Vertigo Amsterdam Bono said "Thank you Amsterdam, for 3 nighst we can never forget"...

I get this feeling, though, that you're not going to forget playing to 150,000 people in a hurry!

I also think that unlike a lot of celebrities, Bono is actually sincere in the emotion he's expressing, riding high on a wave of energy from the audience. Sure, he may not actually remember it in twenty years, but at the time, I've no doubt he's caught up in the moment and sincerely means what he says.

Axver said:

I don't get it; they used to do their shoots later in the tour. RAH, third leg of JT. ZooTV Sydney, fifth leg. Popmart Mexico, end of third leg.

Maybe they have something new planned for the third leg? Or maybe they just wanted to capture the tour at that point in time? Who knows!
Maybe Hamish want's to shoot it early in the tour? Afterall, he is the director ever since the Boston DVD...

But talking about the other video's... I'm sooo glad that Zoo-TV was filmed in Sydney... Santiago would have been better for Popmart though... But these tour were at their absolute best at the end of the tour so...

Neilz said:

Maybe Hamish want's to shoot it early in the tour? Afterall, he is the director ever since the Boston DVD...

Perhaps. Or maybe it's just when it fit into everyone's schedule? Filming gigs is probably a logistical nightmare ...

But talking about the other video's... I'm sooo glad that Zoo-TV was filmed in Sydney... Santiago would have been better for Popmart though... But these tour were at their absolute best at the end of the tour so...

I actually wish they'd released another ZooTV video, say from the two arena legs. That'd be pretty cool.

AND WHY ISN'T THERE A LOVETOWN DVD? :madspit:

who's being nationalistic now?? :wink:
j/k...

you're really set on the 'crowds are all the same' line, are you? I don't think so, anyway. we're all different in our own way...
and you have to admit, playing in front of 150.000 people who are there ONLY to see you... I know Bono usually says things like that (does he mean it every single time? :shrug: ) but c'mon, 150.000 people? THAT ain't something that happens every day. :D

Axver said:

Yeah, but they had played almost 40 shows before filming the Boston DVD.

For Chicago they hadn't even played 20. They were just getting all the bugs worked out of their show and all of a sudden they were shooting a DVD. Seems kind of odd, but I'm sure it will turn out good.

sraphim said:
who's being nationalistic now?? :wink:
j/k...

you're really set on the 'crowds are all the same' line, are you? I don't think so, anyway. we're all different in our own way...
and you have to admit, playing in front of 150.000 people who are there ONLY to see you... I know Bono usually says things like that (does he mean it every single time? :shrug: ) but c'mon, 150.000 people? THAT ain't something that happens every day. :D
So that's you view on being nationalistic? Hey, I'm only saying that I've heard Bono kissing ass (in a sincere way of course) before... You see, you don't need extraordanary settings like 150.000 Italians or a Slane gig to get a night to remember... And from all U2 gig's I've seen where Bono shows his emotion about thát gig... I have had the same feeling... Some shows are really special... I'm sure Turin and Regio Emmelia were to...

And sure 150.000 people is a lot! They will remember this without a doubt... But it's not that thát's a reason to be nervous every time they get onstage at an Italian gig :shrug:

Last edited:
Dusty Bottoms said:
What I meant was it probably would have made more sense to shoot a DVD on the second and third leg, instead of the first and second.

Well, maybe they shoot a third leg show too. If they'd only shoot a second and third leg show and that third leg show didn't turn out to be so good (or if the show had changed alot from the first leg), then they could never go back to the first leg and shoot that one. So I think U2 rather shoots multiple shows professionally and then releases the best one(s) than be stuck with an average show just because there are no alternatives.

Dusty Bottoms said:

For Chicago they hadn't even played 20. They were just getting all the bugs worked out of their show and all of a sudden they were shooting a DVD. Seems kind of odd, but I'm sure it will turn out good.
True... They also had much more rehearsal before the Elevation tour...

Well here is a quote from Willie about the Chicago DVD

The main focus of this week is the Big Video Shoot, where we will be attempting to capture something of the Vertigo show on camera. It’s unusually early in the tour to be doing this, it being an activity which has traditionally waited until almost the very end in previous outings, but ha! we laugh in the face of convention. We may end up shooting more shows as the tour goes on, moves outdoors, etc., so it will be good to record it in its early stages.

Neilz said:

True... They also had much more rehearsal before the Elevation tour...
very true, they were very under-reharsed going into this tour, with everything that was happening with edge etc

bathiu said:
I don't live in Italy, I don't live in Holland, I'm not Italian or Dutch living somewhere outside the countries...

Answer: Milan was the right choice for DVD.

Dutch vs. Italians... who cares,
we're all Europeans and we should stick together for future threads of U.S. Vertigo DVD:yawn: vs. European Vertigo DVD:rockon:...

That's the point.
Good man

Dusty Bottoms said:

I also think Chicago was too early too shoot. Maybe they just want to film a concert from every single leg and then when then tour is at its end decide which one(s) they'll use. I wouldn't be surprised if they are gonna shoot something in the 3rd leg, too.

Neilz, I said j/k... = just kidding, man, relax :eyebrow:

I think some shows are special to them, they're human after all... won't they do favoritisms every now and then? :shrug:
I guess they do have some favorite moments, and I just hope ReggioEmilia and Turin are among them :D

we're all Europeans and we should stick together for future threads of U.S. Vertigo DVD vs. European Vertigo DVD...

I agree :up: :rockon: :applaud:

:wink:

Can anybody honestly say this will look more impressive on DVD

ss1.jpg

than this?

5001218072005_115128.jpg

I just think because of the way it is set up, it looks like there are a ton more people in Amsterdam, and that just makes it look more impressive.

What enhances that feeling is the fact that the 2 sound/lighting towers are not there in Amsterdam... The lights and speakers are hanging from the roof, so more room on the floor...

Same goes for the grey sound boots... In Amsterdam they can hardly be noticed because they don't have the grey roof on them...

it looks good indeed, it really does :drool:
but as somebody :wink: just pointed out, numbers aren't all.... I'm sure the Italian audience will stun everybody who's still sceptical about SanSiro! :rockon: :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom