Lillywhite talks next project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree it was a wise decision, and that U2 have always wanted to be relevant, and i think that's fair enough (what band wouldn't want to be big and successful).
However i wouldn't be surprised if Lillywhite has pushed the band to make their songs sound more commercial (without direction from the band), considering his focuses in the past... although, it is of course up to the band to take or leave his advice.

yea, i really wish lillywhite would have left boy, october and war alone... those records are just too commercial for me.

Cmon guys, since when did we start hanging Steve Lillywhite upside down by his balls? He's done fantastic work for them, and he may no longer be at his creative zenith - but neither are U2. They clearly still trust his judgement and all he can do is offer mixes and suggestions - it's 100 percent up to them if they follow up. If you're looking for someone to blame for bad U2 songs, you can either 'throw a rock up in the air you're bound to hit someone guilty'. Or you can be more level headed and say bad U2 songs are ultimately U2's responsibility.

With most of those Alternate vs Album Bomb songs, I think the alternates are undercooked, album versions are overcooked, and they overshot 'just right'.

And I agree, it's either a good song or a shit song. Most of the tracks Lillywhite takes heat for, to be honest, I can't really see being made 'good', or at least, I suspect their badness appeared long before Lillywhite had his fiddle.

yea, i really wish lillywhite would have left boy, october and war alone... those records are just too commercial for me.

I'm not saying commercial is a bad thing. The guy knows how to make a hit :shrug:
And if you're trying to make the point that the first 3 u2 albums aren't mainstream, i'd agree with you... but i'd still bet Lillywhite helped to make them (or at least the singles, at least by war) radio friendly.
Certainly in the bands recent years, his push to make the songs more commercial seems more explicit. Again, not necessarily a bad thing...

Cmon guys, since when did we start hanging Steve Lillywhite upside down by his balls? He's done fantastic work for them, and he may no longer be at his creative zenith - but neither are U2. They clearly still trust his judgement and all he can do is offer mixes and suggestions - it's 100 percent up to them if they follow up. If you're looking for someone to blame for bad U2 songs, you can either 'throw a rock up in the air you're bound to hit someone guilty'. Or you can be more level headed and say bad U2 songs are ultimately U2's responsibility.

That's a very good point. From a song-writing perspective, one can't really blame a producer for failing to turn an awful song into a great one...

:lol:

"Let's get will.i.am to help us out of this bag!"

"No, let's get RedOne!"

"Well, there's always Lillywhite."

*rustle rustle rustle*

all because of you is better on record than the alt version, and if it was his call to switch to vertigo instead of native son, then yea, kudos for that one as well.

you may disagree, with the last one especially, because music is subjective and all... but i think vertigo did, oh, fairly well commercially, so there can't really be many complaints made about that decision.

You know we've had this discussion before and we clearly fall on different sides. Sure Vertigo was the hit that Native Son wouldn't have been, but does that make it a better song to me? Absolutely not.

Also, personally All Because of You is the one song I skip on the released album, whereas the lyrics to the Chris Thomas version seem a lot less forced, and the feel of the whole song reflects that.

Yahweh's alternate is also cracking. All of what we've heard from the Thomas sessions are just so much fresher and natural than the overcooked Lillywhite, Lee, Lanois/Eno, et al produced version of the album. But that's just my take.

Again though, the rough guitar sounds that worked on all the other tracks absolutely did not fit Sometimes and the hook adds a lot to it, so kudos to that particular rework.

you may disagree, with the last one especially, because music is subjective and all... but i think vertigo did, oh, fairly well commercially, so there can't really be many complaints made about that decision.

What fuck do I give? It's their money, not mine, and I'm positive they don't sit around and listen to Bomb as much as I do. Native Son, the superior but less lucrative song, seems like the right choice from my perspective. :wink:

Similarly, a Danger Mouse-produced album excites me more than a Danger Mouse-produced album run through the Lillywhite brand colander, though though their piles of cash will remain hills, not mountains. I acknowledge the "U2 wants hits" statement as fact more than I sympathize with it because, honestly, why should I care, especially at this stage? It's one thing to want some underground favorite to break through to millions, but this is Ufucking2. People will give U2 shit no matter what, and U2 will remain a beloved, extraordinarily rich rock group no matter what. Release the better, very likely purer album already. They earned that right back in the mid-80s.

But hey, maybe I'm being selfish and unrealistic. Here's a statement most of us can agree with: U2 is indecisive, and it would be the healthiest choice of all for them to limit themselves to one producer. Great as it was, NLOTH is the strongest proof yet that limiting sessions and production credits results in purer, more interesting music. Save the full page of producers for Rihanna.

Alt ABOY and Native Son are improvements, alt Yahweh and Xanax and Wine are a wash, alt SYCMIOYO is hideous.

I still believe that Edge is mainly responsible for their lack of direction. He can't decide whether to "rawk" or to "chime" or to just simply be "sublime". Bono can't play a chord on anything (tho he does one-finger piano)...but he (for the most part) does his best with what's handed to him. When the Edge don't deliver...the Bono does suffer. Make that a bumper sticker.

Oh come on. It's not Edge's fault that Boner is still cranking out stomach-curdling, eye-rolling lyrics. You can't say the music forced him into those places.

Having said that, No Line is a huge improvement in that department over the last two albums, with Boner writing more in character.

What fuck do I give? It's their money, not mine, and I'm positive they don't sit around and listen to Bomb as much as I do. Native Son, the superior but less lucrative song, seems like the right choice from my perspective. :wink:

Similarly, a Danger Mouse-produced album excites me more than a Danger Mouse-produced album run through the Lillywhite brand colander, though though their piles of cash will remain hills, not mountains. I acknowledge the "U2 wants hits" statement as fact more than I sympathize with it because, honestly, why should I care, especially at this stage? It's one thing to want some underground favorite to break through to millions, but this is Ufucking2. People will give U2 shit no matter what, and U2 will remain a beloved, extraordinarily rich rock group no matter what. Release the better, very likely purer album already. They earned that right back in the mid-80s.

But hey, maybe I'm being selfish and unrealistic. Here's a statement most of us can agree with: U2 is indecisive, and it would be the healthiest choice of all for them to limit themselves to one producer. Great as it was, NLOTH is the strongest proof yet that limiting sessions and production credits results in purer, more interesting music. Save the full page of producers for Rihanna.

Quoted for much truth. :hi5:

I must be the only person that loves bomb?:reject:

Note I said ABOY is the only track I skip when listening to it. It's a collection of very heartfelt and earnest songs, that are way overproduced, it could have been something more cohesive, but I still like the tracks.

While I do prefer No Net to ATYCLB and The Bomb, there are actually no songs I skip on either of the latter. But I can't stomach several moments on Crazy Tonight, so that gets the boot 9 times out of 10. Stand Up Comedy leaves me shaking my head, but I don't quite dislike it enough to skip.

I love every song on AB, Zooropa, Pop, and JT, and never skip anything on those.

I still believe that Edge is mainly responsible for their lack of direction. He can't decide whether to "rawk" or to "chime" or to just simply be "sublime". Bono can't play a chord on anything (tho he does one-finger piano)...but he (for the most part) does his best with what's handed to him. When the Edge don't deliver...the Bono does suffer. Make that a bumper sticker.
This is a fair comment, 'With great solo's, comes great lyrical responsibility'. <-----See what I did there, lame attempt at referencing Spiderman:)

Anyways, I am finding what Edge is bringing to the table it not setting a mood or a landscape for Bono to build on.

Sure lyrics in some cases are clunky at the moment, but go listen to 'Bullet' it sets a tone, a mood, you feel the anger. Listen to WOWY, haunting, and so on. You set the right mood, and the lyrics will follow.

Edge's recent tunes sound like someone trying to make a quick buck versus a long con. Great at first, but won't suck you in long term and leave you wondering how the hell did that happen.

Back
Top Bottom