Let's talk about Vertigo X2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
How well was it received at your concert?

During Minneapolis, when they played it a second time, I remember seeing the crowd kinda bummed, like "Oh this song again?" they didn't go as wild as they did the first time it was played. A few reviews say Vertigo was a bummer, but I think Bono sensed the energy of us and played Vertigo to go out on a bang.

I saw V2 at Monterey and the crowd was crazy for it. I think U2 could have played "Grace" and the crowd would have gone crazy. Funny thing, felt like the national anthem of Mexico when I was down there. People loved Vertigo.

It was kind of weird though to hear it twice though. The 2nd time was better than the opening. Energy was great and the video effects were cool. U2 should have closed all shows w/ Vertigo.

I was at the second Seattle show, which is the first time they busted out with the Vertigo encore. From my vantage point, the crowd went apeshit. It was a surprising, high-energy end to an incredible show, and it was amazing.

: makes note to self to put the 4/25 bootleg on iPod to listen to again :

I enjoyed it at the Boston May 28th show following Party Girl, especially with Bono doing the introduction about what the word "Encore" meant.

But one thing I will always remember is when we were walking down the stairs after the show I overheard a girl say to her boyfriend "I can't believe they actually played the same song twice, thats so stupid. Dave Matthews would never do that". For some reason that had me cracking up :laugh:

I luckily did not have to listen to Vertigo X2 at any of the 7 shows I went to, and I wouldn't have been too happy about it if they had. I much rather would have heard something else than the same song twice.

In Cardiff, Vertigo 1 was an explosive start to their set. What followed was a terrific concert.

When we got to Vertigo 2 I think most people realised that it was the last song ("the end" written on the screen was a big hint!) It was fantastic and got a great reception. Even being sung by people leaving the stadium!

I saw it twice. Once was at the Brooklyn Bridge show (not sure if that'd really count) and the other was MSG 10/14. I thought it kicked ass both times. I don't think it should be a staple (re: the Euro leg) but when it pops up every once in a while, it's fun to end the show with a blast...particularly when they'd already played a fairly long set (like 10/14...I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything, it felt like an added bonus).

I wonder if the whole Vertigox2 thing was because as an opener/2nd song in the Summer gigs you'd miss the effect of the screens...notice how COBL was moved later in the set on the Summer leg.

Personally, at the gig I saw (Croke 1) I liked it more than I expected. I think it would have been cool for anyone who didn't know it was coming, ie. someone who isn't constantly on the 'net visiting setlist threads & trading for shows like I am. My preference would always be "40" but I don't hate Vertigox2 the way some do.

CTU2fan said:
I wonder if the whole Vertigox2 thing was because as an opener/2nd song in the Summer gigs you'd miss the effect of the screens...notice how COBL was moved later in the set on the Summer leg.

That doesnt make reason enough (to me) to play a song twice just becuase we didnt get to see the video effects.
If that were the case, from the DVD's i've watched, technically they would need to play COBL twice as well! :lol:

Vertigo should close the main set on the next tour...

then end the show like it should've been in the Vertigo Tour... with ELECTRICAL STORM (+ fireworks) :drool:

corianderstem said:
I was at the second Seattle show, which is the first time they busted out with the Vertigo encore. From my vantage point, the crowd went apeshit. It was a surprising, high-energy end to an incredible show, and it was amazing.

: makes note to self to put the 4/25 bootleg on iPod to listen to again :

:yes:

At that show, the crowd went mental for that song 2nd time round...it was just amazing :D.

I saw V2 at the majority of shows I was at and while it was fantastic the first few times...it got kind of annoying after a while. IMHO, they should have kept it as a "once in a while" type thing, reserved for when a show was particularly "going off". Personally, I blame Seattle...we reacted too well lol, it just encouraged them to play it again and again and again and again etc :huh:

Pero said:
We want more, fuck yeah.
I WANT A SHOW OF 20 VERTIGO's

Why stop at 20, 30 Vertigo's, yeah?
Imagine Metallica opening with St.Anger and finishing with also St.Anger. Is it me, or does that make any sense?Any at all?

I clearly remember that on each show I attended, the second time they played Vertigo, the crowd was like when they played streets - sometimes even better. The second Vertigo worked every time.

Was in Chicago on May 9th and 10th. May 9th they closed with "40," which was okay at best. I love the song but it should've stayed in the 80's--not enough people in the crowd knew it so it was a buzz killing end to the show.

May 10th they closed with Vertigo, which was freakin awesome. I think it was the 2nd time they closed with it on the tour and and the crowd went crazy. Definitely left that show with a buzz.

Back
Top Bottom