Larry's Drumming.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisz25

War Child
.....On "WAR" is AMAZING:drool:

It really carries the whole entire album.... I was recently listening to War and was just so moved by his drumming!

Show your love for his awesome beats!!:heart:
:drool:

October is where the beats are at.

But War also brings his progressive hard house influenced nuances to the fore.

:wink:

Is Larry hunched over and squinting/frowning when he lays down tracks in the studio? I'd be curious to see him recording :eyebrow:

Larry's a pretty average drummer. I think that he is capable of playing much more complicated patterns but doesn't seem bothered for some reason. I llike the Cranberries drummer, definitely one of the best drummers out there.

The drums on War are perfect! Sunday Bloody Sunday, Like A Song, Two Hearts Beat As One, Drowning Man are all fantastic. There’s so much energy and passion from Larry on that album. You can feel that he is really trying to outdo himself and better the songs. He adds a lot of character to that album. He is a huge part of that record for me.

DignityPassesBy said:
nah the best drumming is on the new album .... COBL :drool:
The same thing there, Larry just makes that song so much better. I think it's so cool that he knows how to use the studio to add more colors to the song. Brushes... :drool:

have you ever heard The Fool or Street Mission? He's going crazy on drums in those...way more fills, etc.

Ever since, he seems to keep scaling back his flashiness. However, in terms of creativity, arrangement, buildup, and time keeping, he's AMAZING!

As a drummer, it's not so much a question of "Could I play that?" as "Could I come up with that in the first place!?"

And may I add, EBTTRT! Critical and TIGHT drums...

Dr. Lemonseed said:
have you ever heard The Fool or Street Mission? He's going crazy on drums in those...way more fills, etc.

Ever since, he seems to keep scaling back his flashiness. However, in terms of creativity, arrangement, buildup, and time keeping, he's AMAZING!

As a drummer, it's not so much a question of "Could I play that?" as "Could I come up with that in the first place!?"

And may I add, EBTTRT! Critical and TIGHT drums...

haven't heard those two songs I must admit. While I think there are better drummers out there, he works for u2 and I wouldn't want anyone else to replace him.

Well his drumming in Sunday Bloody Sunday became so bloody famous (excuse the pun) that the Red Hot Chilli Peppers drummer did it in a Drum Homage Medley.

The drumming on Boy is superb!

Larry just happens to have awesome drumming on every album...Like Brazilian Fly said he has so much energy and passion that it is able to carry the foundation to songs.
Larry's Drumming kicks ass on their songs :drool:

Larry's drumming on War is intense...IMO, the angriest of his drumming from beginning to end of any U2 record.

As mentioned previously, he is not the most technically sound or inventive drummer around, but his tempo, build ups, and timing are perfect...And perfect for U2.

As a side note, just have to mention that 2 of the most amazing drummers in my lifetime have been Stephen Perkins from Jane's Addiction and Jimmy Chamberlain from Smashing Pumpkins - they are RIDICULOUS

Larry's actually a great drummer - just has this thing about remembering he's not a soloist. Doesn't drown everyone out. I like that he's very understated as a drummer. Although, having heard that solo from the Chicago DVD -- dude. Teach me to drum?

The SBS opening drums were played by Dave Grohl at the Foo Fighters concert I went to in October.
That is up there with the most recognizable drum parts to a song ever.
Only Grohl on Smells Like Teen Spirit might top it, but that song starts with guitar, so I dunno.

Back
Top Bottom